Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:04 PM   #1

Wouldn't you all know it!!! I finally get my dream camera on Christmas Eve. I've done nothing but take pictures since, of anything or everything possible (mostly my 20 month old daughter). Probably in the neighborhod of 350-400 pictures.....

And what happens?

Major Hard Drive failure!!!!!!

That's right, my 3 month old, TOP OF THE LINE, Dell Dimension blew up this morning. I actually could hearharddrivestop spinning, then blue screen of death and that's that. Sure, Dell will replace the hard drive...but what I really want is all the pictures I had taken with my old camera and the new FZ20 since October 12th - my last backup to CDR. This is my second hard drive failure in 2 years. Had to spend $160 to get my data recovered last time...this time it's gone unless I want to send it in to a special lab to the tune of $1500 bucks!

I don't know about the rest of you, but exactly when did these things start becoming so unreliable? I've had 5 computers in my adult life, and I never, ever had hard disk problems before. It seems like the industry is just pumping out shoddy, high capacity units, putting all their emphasis on storage space, and none on reliability? Maybe it's just Maxtor (both were Maxtor drives, and I've had 4 Segate drives that never gave me any problems at all).

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully I too can begin posting pictures taken with my awesome Xmas present!

John
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:45 PM   #2

That is why I build my own systems, and have a backup hard drive as well.

I hope you are able to get your pics recovered.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:58 PM   #3

Hi John,

Sorry to hear of your bad luck...

There is a USB device that allows you to plug a hard drive into it.

It may be that though the Windows is "toast", you may be able to copy files using this device (It would mean removing your hard drive and setting it up as USB drive on another PC).

Go here to see what I am talking about...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdffo.0

Alternatively, you may be able to boot to DOS with USB capability so you may be able to copy the files to a flash drive.

Check with a tech whizkid in your area.

My hard drive died but a tech wizard in my area ran scan disk on it a few times til he could read from it as a second drive.

If you can get your files removed, then burn them to CD.

Then, copy them back to your new hard drive installed by Dell.

Good luck :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:25 PM   #4

John

A partial solution at this point is to use software to recover deleted images still left on your memory cards. I have a freebie programthat works great. It will go get everything not overwrittin. So if you have good stuff on your cards, stop using them pronto, until you get the pictures recovered.

I'm sure that this is only a small amout of your total loss, but every little bit counts.

If you want the software just let me know by private email. The program is only 600kb, or you could google it. It's called Digital Image Recovery.

I agree with Bobc, it's good to have another hard drive to back up.

Hope this helps.

LarryB
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:26 PM   #5

Lately I ahve had 2 western digitals die on me. The first one hade a horrendous noise and then never started again. The second one that cratered I did a low level format on and it worked for a few months. Then cratered again. I formatted it again, but no longer store anything valuable on it. I use it as a windows hard drive only anythin important is on the other drive. my wife has two 10 gig slimline seagate drives... they are like 10 years old and still run quietly... I can freakin hear the new ones as soon as they are out of the box....

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #6

My advice is. To have a hard drive installed just for pics. Let your main drive run windows and all your other apps, and use the other just for saving your images.

It's more likely that your main drive will be the one to crash, because it's doing all the work pertaining to your system running and will give out much sooner.

If your computer crashes, you will most likely not loose anything.

Also... Always put the keepers on CD/DVD.

I know it's too late now, but as cheap as hard drives are you could have 5 hard drives for the price your gonna pay to have that one recovered.

Realy sorry to hear about your loosing all those pics, hope you can get them recovered.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:01 PM   #7

I agree with the advice regarding multiple hard drives. Better to get 2 or3 smaller drives and keep your images on 2 of them and backup as much as possible. If you have a DVD burner you can hold a lot of pics on one disc. With the low prices on burners and blank discs it may be worth the expense. Good luck.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:09 AM   #8

Hi All,

I just want to says thanks to everyone for all your advice. It really is my own fault I suppose. I do have a back up hard drive installed, and I bought this new system because it had a DVD burner, so I could backup that way as well. I know I should be backing up regularly, but seriously, I didn't think I needed to worry about a 3 month old system, that had worked flawlessly until yesterday.

I won't be able to recover anything with software on this drive, it won't even spin up. I am holding out hope that the problem may be a faulty MOBO, and the SATA controller failed, but I doubt it.

Bob, I had built my previous two systems myself, but this time around, with an 18 month old, and two busy parents with long commutes, I just didn't have the time.

Everything they say about Dell support is true....SUCKS!!!

The idea about recovering files from my flash cards is a good one, I will google that program and give it a try....Thanks Again!!!
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:37 AM   #9

Hi guys. I recently got one of those deals from Best Buy - an 80gb drive for $25 after rebates. I then bought an extenal enclosure from newegg for $35 and made it external. I never realized how convenient an external drive is. What I like best is that it is removed (somewhat) from my system so if I have any major failures as in powersupply and the sort, hopefully, I'll be okay. Also, I use Norton Ghost and it seems to work pretty good. I am able to make backup images of my computer that will allow the system to be restored from a major crash to a new hard drive. Hope this helps!

JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:22 AM   #10

John

Could be your MOBO. I just got a brandX Athlon64 system for Christmas. It was DOA. I thought it was the SATA drive. Once I got on the phone with the maker, he determined that it was the MOBO and not the drive. I have to return the whole system.

I felt that my drive was not spinning up either. It was. It's just very quiet, with no vibradion to the touch.

Let's hope it's your MOBO and still under warrentee.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.

LarryB

Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote