Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:03 PM   #1

I read lots of the posts & there's complaints about noise... I don't see much of it yet, I'm still learning about this camera (just arrived Friday from B&H) so maybe I'm missing something. My Kodak DC4800 is quite a bit noisier. I am a little disappointed by the FZ20's onboard JPEG decoder for the display, it does look noisy when you zoom in. But when I look at my photos on the computer they seem fine.

Anyway here's an example in low light (8sec exposure of heating element on my stove + a milk bottle), not meant to be artsy, just as a technical challenge to test the manual focus (which I like!!! just wish it were a little easier to see) & see how the contrast/detail is for long exposures. I probably won't be posting much unless I have some questions about technique/camera settings.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:05 PM   #2

hmm the "img" link didn't seem to work right, let's try a different one.

http://www.pbase.com/image/37999974
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:44 PM   #3

Noise is indeed not much of an issue; I think we just expect a bit too good by all the glorious talk about this camera. I had the same experience, comparing fz20 and minolta dimage z1 photos.

Noise onlygoes visibleif you have to do some steady level editing. But that's what we've got the noise filters for :idea:

So far, I have onlyreally 'suffered' from the noise in my shootings at the stars. You have stick to a max shutter of 1 second at 12x, to prevent blur by earth's rotation. This needs some quite severe highlight boosting, and after removing the grain, the remaining quality is simply a bit low. But than again; You don't even have to try that with other compacts

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:14 PM   #4

Now that's something I would like to learn more about ... not more than 1 sec speed or blur due to earth rotation? does that apply only to distant stars or to moon pix? is there some kind of formula that could easily help, say, at 12 +raynox, is it still a second or less?
any info would be appreciated
franckler is offline   Reply With Quote