Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:08 PM   #1

I'm wanting a tele lens. I would really like the Panasonic lens, or possibly the TCON 17. But niether of these have a front thread allowing for a filter or lens hood.

So my question is, how big of a factor is the no filter or hood. It seems to me you woulkd really need theese outdoors. Is it an issue, or no big deal.

Also, has anyone used the Raynox lens. Like's/dislike's, front thread's. Model #:-)Thank's, Cal
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:05 PM   #2

I had the raynox 2020 pro lens, it has a front thread of 82 mm, if i remember correctly. yet I returned it, i was not happy with the quality of the lens, CA was terrible and you can tell that the image resolution is low (260l/mm) and even lower in the periphery of the lens. As well, you will be locked in a 900-950 mm like lens. Good if you only intend to do far shots but otherwise, I prefer the Panasonic lens that gives you the ability to zoom through. Filter is a touchy case, some think that a UV is good, just to protect your own lens. Other filters may be recreated with a good software. This is only my opinion, you will see that others differ.
franckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3

Thank's for your reply. Did you feel there was an issue with the pana lens not having a hood. I would hate to ruin a shot with unwanted rainbow's from the sun.I'm wondering if you could custom fit a lens hood. Any thought's on that.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:41 PM   #4

I read somewhere that the pana lense was highly recommended (even though it's pricy). I have yet to get any add on's, but when the time comes, I will definately do some serious research.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:35 AM   #5

I have the Panasonic lens on order. I should be getting it soon, I hope. It was supposed to be a Christmas present, but it is now on backorder. Don't you just hate it when they don't tell you that up front.

Take a look at the following website.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/index.html

There are a couple good reviews of lenses here and a separate section on the Panasonic lens. My understanding is it is quite a bit better than the others. It also comes with a support bracket with tripod mounting hole to balance better.

I am planning on making an aluminium bracket that will hold a filter and hood. I am thinking of having it clamp around the outside with a thumb screw to secure it to the lens. Once I get the lens I will be better able to design something.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:45 AM   #6

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
I have the Panasonic lens on order. I should be getting it soon, I hope. It was supposed to be a Christmas present, but it is now on backorder. Don't you just hate it when they don't tell you that up front.

Take a look at the following website.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/index.html

There are a couple good reviews of lenses here and a separate section on the Panasonic lens. My understanding is it is quite a bit better than the others. It also comes with a support bracket with tripod mounting hole to balance better.

I am planning on making an aluminium bracket that will hold a filter and hood. I am thinking of having it clamp around the outside with a thumb screw to secure it to the lens. Once I get the lens I will be better able to design something.
Quote:
Where did you order it from. I was also thinking of some kind of clamp. I wonder if the factory pani hood would work. Kinda hard to customize something when you actually don't have it. Hopefully between everyone getting these, someone will be able to figure out something.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:09 AM   #7

I ordered it from Video Direct. I have ordered from them before without incident. The lens is on back order even though it is showing as in stock. No big deal, but my wife was upset because she wanted to surprise me for Christmas.

When I get it I will fabricate a clamping bracket. I hope I can find a UV filter and a hood that will fit.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:05 PM   #8

I have never used a lens hood on my fz10 or fz20. I don't seem to miss it.

Might be interesting to do a poll with the choices of:

Always

most of the time

some of the time

never

m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:46 PM   #9

I have the RAynox 2020 and really like it , it is a lot harder to use because of the extra power but I like the added power.

I also have a Tcon 17 and if you want threads on the front, a 77mm filter will press into the end.

Same with the Tcon 14 and c210 a 55mm filter presses in the objective end in order to stack lenses.

I never take my homemade hood off the camera but I do not use a hood on the Teleconverters. Here are some photos taken with the Raynox 2020

http://imageevent.com/grc6/toshareonnet/raynox2020pro
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:40 PM   #10

Thank's for all the help. Now if I could just find one I'd be happy.