Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:24 PM   #11

I think it is more than than just flash settings as I recall reading somewhere that Panasonic uses an algorithm that can identify skin tones and tweak them. Or maybe that was a post here that was speculating.... it's a blur - too many forums with too much info.

I've noticed this as well with my new FZ20. Many portrait shots are grossly pink hued using Auto White Balance with and without the flash being used. I've corrected for the most part by using the Hue/Saturation function in PS or PSP and sliding it over about 15 to 20%.

I need to do some tests with Manual White Balance, Flash White Balance and Spot Exposure mode.

I've noticed that the shots that have a background with a window that is overexposed are the worst offenders. Shots where there is a correctly exposed white component in the foreground and lots of filtered natural light are generally quite good.

I've started using the camera with Contrast LOW, Sharpness LOW, and Saturation LOW and then post processing keeper shots.

Anyone know of an EXIF reader that will give more information and allow easy export of the EXIF to a text file? Say in a batch mode?

The "SD Viewer" software that comes on the Panasonic disc is a wee bit lacking. The EXIF info in the Photobase software is not too bad but I need that batch mode.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:14 PM   #12

I am really frustrated atm. :P

Just shot a bunch of test shots in various modes. Do you think either SD Viewer, Photobase, or PhotoImpression would identify the Scene mode in the EXIF info? They don't.

Also, and I think I'll make a separate post for this.... why does my Saturation show as Normal in the EXIF when it is definitely set to LOW in camera. On shots where this control is allowed the EXIF shows my Contrast and Sharpeness as SOFT but Saturation as NORMAL.

All flash pictures were pinkish regardless of the mode I was in including with a custom WB.

(PS... Steve... your smiley codes are also messed up... there are two ": mad :" icons)
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:54 PM   #13

Hi,

Are you shooting in Portrait Mode? If you are, the FZ20 manual indicates(see page 59)that is mode is suitable for outdoorsin the daytime. It also indicates when using indoors hue may change (I was shooting indoors with this setting and noticed some redder than normal skin tones.Hope this helps.
Roadman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:17 PM   #14

All modes.

Tried some Portrait mode shots but, as noted, the EXIF doesn't tell you what mode the camera was in and I didn't write them down. I have to wait till my subjects (my kids) have regained their patience for another 20 shots sitting still and then go through a series of scripted shots.

Shot a bunch since then in Flash mode wth the WB dialed 2 marks on the Blue side. Not bad but still pinkish tones and the blues are too strong now. It seems this camera doesn't throttle the flash automatically based on zoom so I have also been playing with the EV and Flash output.

But it is not just with flash. I've several shots in natural light in Aperture or Program mode where this is seen.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:47 PM   #15

I have been doing a similar test with the WB and end up with the same results as Newsyl. Pictures are better but still a little pink. Still trying to find the optimum settings. Thanks for all the replies and the good ideas. Still like the camera...much better than my previous one.
nmoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:26 AM   #16

I've found that post processing and using +15 to +20 in the Hue adjustment gives me a color tone closer to reality.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:37 PM   #17

Some of you may have already seen this over in another forum but I value this community (and I want Panasonic Bob to see it) to I'm reposting it...

Here's a shot (on left) I took in Program mode with Auto WB and NO Flash. A bright but cloudy day outside and light was coming through floor to ceiling windows. No tungsten lights were on. The difference here is about what I've seen with shots taken in many modes, WB's, and flash on or off. The best results have been with a custom WB.

On the right we have the same shot "fixed" by +15 to +20 on the Hue slider in PS. Not perfect but much more like it appeared. I noticed as well that the wood in the background was also too red tinged in the first shot.

EXIF info from PhotoBase

Maker: Panasonic
Model: DMC-FZ20
Exif Version: 0220
Shot Time: 2004:12:27 22:13:31
Digitize Time: 2004:12:27 22:13:31
Compress Rate: 4.0 bits/pixel
Exposure Time: 1/400 Second
F Number: 4.0
Minimum F Number:
Focal Length: 72.00 mm
X Resolution:
Y Resolution:
ISO Speed Rate: ISO80
Flash: No Flash
Light Source: Auto
Exposure Program: Normal
Subject Area:
Custom Rendered: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto Exposure
White Balance: Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio:
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: None
Contrast: Soft
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Soft
Device Setting Description:
Subject Distance Range:
Image Unique ID:

I sure find the EXIF info hard to read from this camera. I wish Panasonic supplied a utility that specifically decodes to values as set through the cameras menus. Also, there are errors... an example is the Saturation which was DEFINITELY set to low.

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:17 AM   #18

I also found that my indoor photo's of people and the surroundings (wood floor, etc.) had a definite red tint to them. As much as I like this camera, I fail to understand why it won't automatically pick up skin tones as they're supposed to be. Even the most basic of camera's seem to do this without having to take the time to do a bunch of post-processing
QBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:32 AM   #19

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:
I sure find the EXIF info hard to read from this camera. I wish Panasonic supplied a utility that specifically decodes to values as set through the cameras menus. Also, there are errors... an example is the Saturation which was DEFINITELY set to low.
Try a similar shot in manual mode with all the same settings. I think in P mode the camera "may" adjust the Saturation and maybe other levels as well. I'm not sure if thats the case but it's something definatly worth trying.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:15 AM   #20
dlw

Honestly, I searched for this problem but came up with nothing before I posted about the red hue thing. I'm glad to see that it's not just my FZ20 with this problem. As an old Kodak user, I just can't believe that Panasonic has not addressed this with a firmware upgrade or something. I'm disappointed that I have to PS fiddle with about every indoor shot, flash or not, to get the red out (and have never quite gotten it right yet). Any more suggestions would be appreciated, I'm really tryingto like this camera (spent more that I planned on / can't afford another camera right now!)
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote