Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:09 PM   #11

Hey Susaberg,

I definitely recommend getting a card reader. It is so much faster, doesn't require hooking up cords all the time, doesn't use up your camera battery and takes many different cards. I bought a USB 2.0 (read: fast) 12 in 1 card reader off eBay for $3.99 plus $9.95 shipping (shipping is where they make their money, I guess). Reads 12 different cards!!! It is made in Taiwan, not China.

I have had it since I got my camera (FZ20) a few weeks ago and it works flawlessly. I bought another for my boss and he loves it. It is small, comes with a cord and doesn't require any software on my Mac (haven't tried it w/o the included software on my PC yet).

eMail me and I'll give you the seller's name (not me) if you are interested, or you can search on eBay for "12 in 1 USB 2.0 card reader" in the photo section. Make sure you get the one made in Taiwan, tho. There are copies. The one that also reads an XD card is very useful. That's what I got. Some don't.

Happy Shooting and welcome to the growing crowd of happy :-) owners!

Is that owl on the left side smirking???

Jering

PS: I found the seller on eBay that I bought it from. It is blueproton. The card reader is now $1.95 + $12.95 shipping. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3863362968
(Looks like his buy it now price is going up a buck after this auction.)
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:23 PM   #12

Hi Suzaberg...

If SD cards are the only cards you are reading, I recommend the Lexar JumpDrive Trio. It's about the same size as a regular jump drive, but it opens up to let you put an SD card into it, then just plug it into a USB port.

CaseSteam
CaseSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:49 AM   #13

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your feedback and for your cheery welcomes. I will definitely get a card reader. In my situation I don't know how much it will speed things up (I doubt my old computer can handle USB 2) but it seems like it will be an easy way to free up space on my sd card. m.achure, my computer uses MS Me. I doubt it will recogonize the camera. I will probably buy a new computer in a year or so (i'm putting it off as long as I can) but in the meantime I think a card reader would be helpful. I don't anticipate using anything but sd's with it, but $15 does sound like a good price, Jering. The cool factor makes a difference, but almost double the price is more than I want to spend on cool. CaseSteam, what's a jump drive?

Happy New Year to each of you!
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:51 PM   #14

Hi Suzaberg...

Hereis ashot of this reader. It is very small and stores easily, just plug it into a USB port or run a USB cable to the front of your computer if all the USB ports are on the back - then you just slip the SD card into it. It is USB 2 compatible so it will work with your new computer when you buy it. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:57 PM   #15

Here is a shot of it closed...
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #16

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
The Sandisk 8-in-1 mentioned by somarf in this thread is an excellent reader.
Some people just seem to like everything. I have to find out what kind of medication they are on.

Here's what I think of my Sandisk 8-in-1 reader:

It's a piece of crap.

It didn't fit well in the little vertical stand and I had to heat-up the stand with a hairdryer and bend it to get it to fit tight. The cable end which is integral with the stand was so loose that it would barelystay connected-- it didn't feel very solid. I had tospread the metal of the plug so it would fit firmly. Regardless of which cable I connect it to, I randomly get messages in Windows 2000 that I have improperly removed hardware, repeatedly, until I reboot. I now have it connected to the too-short cable, which alsofit looselyand it just dangles. I plug-it-in only when I need it, and I think it is ugly. I have a dedicated Sandisk CF reader, and it is a dream. I somehow imagined that I would be getting the same quality, but was sadly mistaken. I can't imagine that a cheaper brand could be any worse. Maybe I just got a lemon.

My sister bought an oem Atech internal reader from Newegg to connect to a USB 2 internal card with an NEC controller chip on an older system running XP. It worked at first, then randomly disappeared. The cable inside the computer needed to be unplugged and re-plugged while the computer was on for it to be re-detected. That got old, and I guess her eyes aren't that good so she plugged it in with a couple pins off. There was smoke. It doesn't work now. In a way, it was her fault, but she shouldn't have had to be in there messing with it in the first place. She's got her eye on a PCChips external reader, because it got good reviews and it is easier to plug.

Whatever you get, good luck with it...
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:53 PM   #17

Sinister Purpose wrote:
Quote:
digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
The Sandisk 8-in-1 mentioned by somarf in this thread is an excellent reader.
Some people just seem to like everything. I have to find out what kind of medication they are on.

Here's what I think of my Sandisk 8-in-1 reader:

It's a piece of crap.

I usually don't step in, but this kind of response way is out of line. You can direct your comments towards the item in question, but when you start directing comments towards other's opinions, you have gone too far.

It sounds like you had trouble with your SanDisk reader. Sorry to hear that. I have had ZERO trouble with mine. Works perfect, for something that a few years back, probably would have cost 5 times as much as it does now. But to suggest that someone is on medication, because THEY haven't had your problems...well, just can't see that.

Now, look closely, you'll see I didn't flame you, by saying that maybe you don't have the sense to make it work right, put it in the holder right, read the manual, etc, etc, and that your nickname gives us a clue as to what you are really all about. It wouldn't do any good for either of us, and I'm just not that kind of person...

Well, maybe...

R

rcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #18

rcav8or wrote:
Quote:
I usually don't step in, but this kind of response way is out of line. You can direct your comments towards the item in question, but when you start directing comments towards other's opinions, you have gone too far.
I really seem to havestruck a nerve. You know, I had completely forgotten that some people have no sense of humor and take everything seriously. Perhaps I should have added one of those annoying animated icons? I'd say that you're the one who is out of line with that last paragraph. Take a pill.
Sinister Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:09 PM   #19

Sinister Purpose wrote:
Quote:
rcav8or wrote:
Quote:
I really seem to havestruck a nerve. You know, I had completely forgotten that some people have no sense of humor and take everything seriously. Perhaps I should have added one of those annoying animated icons? I'd say that you're the one who is out of line with that last paragraph. Take a pill.
Struck a nerve. Perhaps not. Some people just do not take well to sarcasm. Please keep in mind that sarcasm is most frequently identified by the voice inflection and facial expression of the speaker. Both of them are absent in a post to a forum such as this. The emoticons my not be to your liking but the can help to avoid misunderstanding, which is what you seem to be indicating happened.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:18 PM   #20
Administrator

Peace guys....

We're only talking about a card reader.

You'll find reviews of some readers under the Accessories Reviews Menu choice from the site's main page (but prices have probably droppedsince these reviews were published):

Card Reader Reviews

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote