Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:15 AM   #1

Do any of you use card readers? Why or why not? If you do use them, do you have suggestions for what brands/models to look for or avoid?

I finally ordered my fx20. It should arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited, but also a little overwhelmed at all the options for essential "extras". Card readers seem like a good idea, but posters on this forum don't mention them.

Thanks.
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:28 AM   #2

Card readers, as I understand them, are a matter of convenience. Some are so small that packing them along with the camera takes up virtually no space. Just a quick pop into the USB port, and you're ready to transfer away. I'm ordering my FZ20 tomorrow, , and I'm planning on getting this:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/im-8in1.asp

It's only $27 at my local Wal-Mart (where all high-end photogs shop, :G). It's portable when not on it's stand, it's high-speed (USB 2.0), and it'll just look cool on my desk.
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:07 AM   #3

My HP printer has a card reader built in and that is what I use for importing my pictures to the PC. It saves the trouble of having to drag out the cable and connect the camera. If my printer did't already have the card reader, I would certainly buy one.

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:55 AM   #4

Hello Suzaberg,

Welcome to the forum

The Sandisk 8-in-1 mentioned by somarf in this thread is an excellent reader.

One really nice thing about it is that it creates four different removable drives on your PC so you can separate the types of media.

I have the Sandisk 8-in-1 and its works very, very well!

I have read CF, SD, xD and smartmedia on it with no problems on both Win XP with SP2 PCs and Windows 2000 at work.

Definitely, pick one up If for no other reason than when your friends come to visit with their dig cams you can copy (from their cards) any pics they take with your 8-in-1 reader.

As far as extra media goes, you can pick up Sandisk Ultra II 512 for ~$65from several vendors online. PM if you want for a specific recommendation.

I am currently testing an FZ20 (many thanks to those on the Panasonic forum who have helped me!) and the Sandisk Ultra II 512 worksvery, very well in it. Even shooting in TIFF (which is a huge file), quickly writes to the Sandisk Ultra II 512.

Lenmar batteries have been recommended as extra batteries by others on this forum.

Have fun with your new dig cam, Suzaberg!

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:56 AM   #5

I use a Sandisk 8 in 1 for downloading the pictures from the camera. I did not want to put the software that came with the camera on the computer. With the reader the computer sees it as another drive letter. USB 2.0 is fast enough for my needs also.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:28 AM   #6

Suzaberg,

I have an SD reader built right into my laptop. I use it all the time for getting files off the card for my FZ3. I have not used the USB cable to connect the camera as of yet, nor do I plan to. Using a card reader is almost always much faster then using the camera, it also saves on your camera battery. Why use up your charge just to transfer files?

I also have a multi format card reader from Lexar. It's USB 2.0 enables so transfers are very fast. It's very small and also mounts each card slot as it's own drive as mentioned above. Then I picked up some card readers that were on sale at OfficeMax. They were FREE after mail in rebate. These readers work very well you just need to get aindividual reader one for each media. I leave these at work or loan them to others so as not to lose my more costly ($30.00) Lexar reader.

Bottom line, get some.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:05 AM   #7

I use a no name (well can't remember it) 6 in 1 reader I bought from a pc fair for £6 and is slim so when I am travelling it goes into my laptop bag and is aideal for storing pics on my laptop at the end of each day so I can clear my cards if I need to.

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:41 AM   #8

I don't have a card-reader and don't feel I need one. I have only on type of media card (the FZ series camera SD). Have never installed any software that came with the camera, either FZ10 or FZ20. I have MS XP which recognizes the camera as a plug-n-play item thru the USB cable supplied with the cameras. I use the FZ10's AC adapter/Charger for my FZ20, as the power source when downloading from camera to PC, to save battery power.
Btw, I also use the FZ10's AC adapter/Charger for my FZ20 when sitting in the window waiting for birds to arrive at the feeders.

:|
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:49 AM   #9
hbh

JedinNC does the card-reader of your HP-Printer support USB 2.0?
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:46 AM   #10

hbh,

Yes, the card reader supports USB 2.0. It does a good job...creates a seperate drive letter in Windows XP like the others. This printer allows you to print directly from the SD card without having it connected to a pc as well but I don't use that function. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote