Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:25 AM   #1

Newegg is advertising a rebate on Dane-Elec 512mb, 10 mb/secsd cards. After rebate it's only $25, plus S&H. Is Dane-Elec a good brand? I'd rather pay more money for a reliable high-speed card than buy a bargain card that may frustrate me in the future.

Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...309&depa=0

FYI, the rebate ends 12/31/04.

Thanks.
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:29 AM   #2

Dane-Elec is a good card. It is actually made by Toshiba. The reason for its nominal price versus the other cards is its write speed. If you are only going to take photos that do not require fast shooting such as sports or the need for burst mode then the card is not able to use the cameras full potential in the speed department.

Here is a link to recover what might be a lost picture file from your memory card. It does not recover every file but I have used it and found some pictures that I thought I did lose when I was first learing how to use my digital camera. You will be surprised how many pictures can be recovered after a camera format.

http://pcinspector.de/download.htm#smart_recovery

Click on Smart Recovery
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:43 AM   #3

I have a Dane Electic card that I got when they first came out with the 10mbs speed and it is the slowest card I own. I do not know if I got a lemon or what but I would not get another one.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:51 PM   #4

Suzaberg,

Since you're a Newegg shopper, may I recommend the Kingmax 60X Platinum cards they sell. The prices are great and I haven't read one negative thing about them on any of the forums. Here's a link to the 512mb card in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-257&depa=0

Looks like their out of stock but should get some soon.

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:27 PM   #5

I've used a Dane 512MB card in my FZ20 since I got the camera, and had no problems with it. Check the camera's write speed; the only time you need to worry about the card is if it "reads" data slower than the camera can "write" to it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:46 AM   #6

Hi Everyone! Thanks for your feedback. I had been leaning toward a Kingmax before I saw the Dane-Elec rebate, so I went ahead and ordered the Kingmax 60x Platinum 456 mb card, and signed up to be notified when the 512 is back in stock, projected to be Jan. 7.

Happy New Year to each of you!
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:49 AM   #7

Oops! I ordered the 256 card, not 456. :lol: