Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:13 PM   #1

After weeks of drooling over others stories, seeing the wonderful shots that are possible with this jem, I've finally ordered my own. Went to www.digitalfotoclub.com and bought it along with their Deluxe Accessories kit for $615 shipped. Also went over to www.ecost.com and purchased an ATP 512mb 60x sd card. $53 shipped. Next week will be a great week!!

I hope to participate in posting some awesome shots. :|

Omar

p.s.: Wife also ok'd an XFX Geforce 6600 GT 128mb graphics card. yay.. When not out and about shooting up the town, I'll get to play EQ II without a hitch.

p.s. II: Turns out that eCost is backordered on those ATP SD cards, so I canceled with them, went to www.mwave.com, and ordered a 512mb Kingmax 60x Platinum SD for 3 dollars more.
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:44 PM   #2

Congratz! You will like the new camera. While you are reading around, you will see that most people replaces the lens barrel.

The one comes with the camera tends to prevent the internal flash to work fully. There are a few thread out there with a few recommendation you could look at.

Post some pictures when you get them.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:21 PM   #3

smilepak wrote:
Quote:
Congratz! You will like the new camera. While you are reading around, you will see that most people replaces the lens barrel.

The one comes with the camera tends to prevent the internal flash to work fully. There are a few thread out there with a few recommendation you could look at.

Post some pictures when you get them.
Thanks smilepak, I was also considering buying one of the UV filters I hear so much about, although I'm still a little confused as to their purpose. Keeping dust from the actual lens? Also, the wife asked me to check into an external flash, and I believe the Sunpak was one I read about that's not too expensive.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:09 AM   #4

Please stop considering UV filter and buy it asap!!!. It protects your lens from fingerprints and scratches, and affects nothing to ligth or exposure.

Smilepak is rigth, lens adapter included is big enough to create a shadow when using internal flash!!! I recommend to buy a smaller lens adapter; they also change the diameter of required filters from 72mm to 62 mm (cheaper filters!!)

You can find some lens adapter at:

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

Of course, decide to buy or not the adapter before buying UV filter (72 or 62 mm)

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:26 AM   #5

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Please stop considering UV filter and buy it asap!!!. It protects your lens from fingerprints and scratches, and affects nothing to ligth or exposure.

Smilepak is rigth, lens adapter included is big enough to create a shadow when using internal flash!!! I recommend to buy a smaller lens adapter; they also change the diameter of required filters from 72mm to 62 mm (cheaper filters!!)

You can find some lens adapter at:

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

Of course, decide to buy or not the adapter before buying UV filter (72 or 62 mm)

Gracias Sr. Santos por su respuesta. So with that adapter, I'll be able to use a 62mm UV filter (instead of 72mm) which will in turn protect the lens from dust/scratches. Great. Sounds like a done deal then. Thanks for the info!!
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:29 PM   #6

msantos, what do you think of this one?
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...3&cat2=5856889
It's a 72mm UV filter. Would I be able to just buy this and put it on my FZ20 when it arrives?
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:11 PM   #7

Is digitalfotoclub.com a reliable place to order a camera from? I'm going to order a FZ-20 as well but I'm leery about making that big of a purchase on-line. Thanks
Negissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:56 PM   #8

somarf wrote:
Quote:
msantos, what do you think of this one?
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...p;cat2=5856889
It's a 72mm UV filter. Would I be able to just buy this and put it on my FZ20 when it arrives?

Yes, it's funny :lol:, the filter shown in the picture at this link is exactly the same I have on my FZ-15. You can attach it to your camera with no extra hardware.

Please put it on as soon as you get the camera out of the box, the lens is a 35-420mm f2.8 Leica!!, protect it.

Don't forget posting some of your first pictures, I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy.

Last week I went to Tequesquitengo lake. It is not a good natural place, the lake is all surrounded by hotels and restaurants, however, with the sun just shining, it seems quite different.

Receive my Best Warm Wishes for 2005!!
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:08 PM   #9

Somarf,

Just my two cents but before you by I recommend you reading the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

It contains all you need to know about adapters and filters. Rezajune offers a great deal of information from his own experience.

After reading, if you want to purchase the recommend filter (Hoya PRO 1) this is the cheapest I could find. This vendor is reliable although it takes a little longer to get from China:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

They were actually out of stock when I ordered but after an email to them, I found that they were expecting ashipment the next day. Sure enough, they had one listed the next day as promised. Hope this helps.....

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:29 AM   #10

Negissimo wrote:
Quote:
Is digitalfotoclub.com a reliable place to order a camera from? I'm going to order a FZ-20 as well but I'm leery about making that big of a purchase on-line. Thanks
Hey Negissimo, just go to www.resellerratings.com, and type in the website digitalfotoclub.com. They have a 9+ rating on their scale, so yes, it's very reliable. I received an email that I'll be getting my baby soon, so can't wait!

Now I'm just scratching my head on this whole UV business.