Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:32 AM   #1

First of all I'd like to express my appreciation for this forum and for the replies and help given me so far. My next question as a new owner is what is the best OIS mode to use? I have been using mode 2 with good success so far. However I am curious what other more experienced users might say.
bulcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:06 PM   #2

It seems as though people that use manual focus a lot like mode one as it works while they are focusing. I like mode 2.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3

I allways use Mode 2. I have beeter results in the final pict, however, it is harder to focus than using Mode 1.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:32 AM   #4

I have just taken several photos with OIS mode 1 and 2 in order to compare the results (unfortunately only on the LCD at the moment). What I find strange is that I get significantly sharper pictures in mode 1. Even with 1/6 sec (P-Mode, F2.8, 6x zoom, cloudy/rainy/ugly! weather) I have 80% sharp pics. Even for 1/20 - 1/6 secs pictures are sharper in mode 1 (I guess they are always sharper). I have thought that mode 2 should give better results as msantos says, so I am a little bit confused. Any comments?
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:16 AM   #5

I would like to add another point. Meanwhile, after some more pictures taken indoors, I have the impression that (at least with my FZ20) OIS mode 2 works better if the target is closer (up to some metres). At larger distances mode 1 seems to work better. Can anyone provide his own experience on that?

EDIT: OK, I am not so sure anymore about what I wrote just above, but on average mode 1 works definitely better than mode 2, though it shouldn't.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:32 PM   #6

Check out this post, from Panasonic guy. It is a very detailed explanation about OIS!!!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:42 PM   #7

For those who find their 'mode-1' shots sharper than mode-2; Is the difference blur, or focus related? Maybe, the AF does a better job in mode 1 because it has a jitter-free point to focus at :ideaso that would make it count most for the telezoom shots)

It's just an idea; I think I'll try that out.

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the link. I came across this one earlier this evening, and I found another link to an official site of Panasonic explaining the two modes. I actually knew the difference but was not aware of possible problems under low light conditions. Mode 1 may work better in this situation, but this is just speculative, and I don't see why it should be the case. Unfortunately, I have no possibility to test the OIS under different conditions, because the weather permanently sucks! Only clouds and rain.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:00 PM   #9

@greenbaron: interesting argument which would agree with my first impressions that mode 1 is better at larger distances. But I will not try to figure that out tonight...