Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:37 AM   #1

OK, I admit I know nothing about tele lens's,or even digital camera's for that matter. But hey, I trying to beat it into my head. I even kept trying to turnthe focus ring, but there isn't one.:roll:

I did some test shot's with the normal zoom, and then with the optional DMW-LTZ10 lens attached. They don't seem to be any different. I focused on a nub on a tree at about 20 yard's. Thats over the minimum working distance of the tele lens. I even followed the direction's and set the conversion on the camera (FZ20) to tele. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe just need a longer didstance shot. Or, since thise thing is a digital zoom, does that mean it will only look different in an editing program. Please advise. Cal

Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2

Quick Cal wrote:
Quote:
OK, I admit I know nothing about tele lens's, or even digital camera's for that matter. But hey, I trying to beat it into my head. I even kept trying to turn the focus ring, but there isn't one.:roll:

I did some test shot's with the normal zoom, and then with the tele. They don't seem to be any different. I focused on a nub on a tree at about 20 yard's. Thats over the minimum working distance of the tele lens. I even followed the direction's and set the conversion on the camera to tele. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe just need a longer didstance shot. Or, since thise thing is a digital zoom, does that mean it will only look different in an editing program. Please advise. Cal

QC, what camera are you using?
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

FZ20
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Administrator

Sounds like you are talking about the Record Menu option for Conversion? This is only used when you have attached an auxilliary telephoto lens on the camera. Otherwise it does nothing as you have seen.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:27 AM   #5

Steve, I think either I'm misunderstanding you, or you me. I'm tallking about using the add on panasonic teleconvertor lens. DMW-LTZ10
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:17 PM   #6

That conversion setting in the menu does nothing but start the camera at 6X when turned on.

Not sure I understand your problem but lets look at it this way.

Take a picture of that tree at 12 power zoom without the DMW-LTZ10 attached.

Now attach the DMW-LTZ10 and take another picture of that tree at 12 X from the same spot. The nubbing on the tree should be 1/2 again larger.

For instance if the nub measures 6 inches on your monitor in the first picture it should measure close to 9 inches in the shot with the converter attached.

And by the way there is a manual focus ring , you must enable it with the switch on the left side of the lens.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:19 PM   #7

QuickCal,

I think we may need more information to help. But I'll take a quick guess. Were you close enough to the tree (20 yards) to fill the frame with the "nub" on the tree without the tele-lens on the FZ20? If so then you will find you don't need to use as much of the 12x zoom to get the same effect with the tele-lens on.

Try an item farther away that you can only fill the frame say, half way, then put on the lens and you should get greater magnification.

Else post the images to show us the problem.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:37 PM   #8

Quick Cal wrote:
Quote:
OK, I admit I know nothing about tele lens's, or even digital camera's for that matter. But hey, I trying to beat it into my head. I even kept trying to turn the focus ring, but there isn't one.:roll:

I did some test shot's with the normal zoom, and then with the optional DMW-LTZ10 lens attached. They don't seem to be any different. I focused on a nub on a tree at about 20 yard's. Thats over the minimum working distance of the tele lens. I even followed the direction's and set the conversion on the camera (FZ20) to tele. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe just need a longer didstance shot. Or, since thise thing is a digital zoom, does that mean it will only look different in an editing program. Please advise. Cal

Hi, if you used a tele conversion lens, after attaching the lens, first you MUST go to "menu", look for "conversion" and set it too the icon with a "T". It is for tele conversion lens. It has an icon with a "W" too and that's for Wide lens.

Set it and try again.

BTW, how much is the lens and where did you get that?
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:28 PM   #9

genece wrote:
Quote:
That conversion setting in the menu does nothing but start the camera at 6X when turned on.

Not sure I understand your problem but lets look at it this way.

Take a picture of that tree at 12 power zoom without the DMW-LTZ10 attached.

Now attach the DMW-LTZ10 and take another picture of that tree at 12 X from the same spot. The nubbing on the tree should be 1/2 again larger.

For instance if the nub measures 6 inches on your monitor in the first picture it should measure close to 9 inches in the shot with the converter attached.

And by the way there is a manual focus ring , you must enable it with the switch on the left side of the lens.

Genece. That's the way I did it and there was no differance. The only thing I can think of is may it's something in the way I'm setting the conversion. Maybe I had it set to tele the first time and didn't realize it. I'll try again tommorow in the day light.

BTW,,,,I was talking about I thought there was a focus ring on the tele lens. I know there's one on the camera,,,,lol,,,,,I'm not that dumb :?Thank's for the input.

Sorry I can't post the pic's. The weirdest thing happened. I just started loosing all the stuff on my computer. I opened an e-mail earlier and tried to download a pic, but the virus scan wouldn't let me open it. Well, I guess that sucker snuck by. Wiped out my whole system. I erased everything and reformated my whole system. I could just cry from the pic's that I lost. Lesson learned...BACK UP THE PIC'S YOU REALLY WANT.

Spiderman. I did set the conversion to start with. But, I will try it all again. Thank's. Also, the lens was $499. I got it straight from Panasonic since they were the only one's in thecountry that had it in stock. I could have saved a little cash if I wanted to wait. But no one could tell me how long. Also, I did read somewhere that they weren't going to be made anymore. Hopefully that's just an internet rumor. But I didn't want to take the chance for $50. Cal
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:19 PM   #10

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
QuickCal,

I think we may need more information to help. But I'll take a quick guess. Were you close enough to the tree (20 yards) to fill the frame with the "nub" on the tree without the tele-lens on the FZ20? If so then you will find you don't need to use as much of the 12x zoom to get the same effect with the tele-lens on.

Try an item farther away that you can only fill the frame say, half way, then put on the lens and you should get greater magnification.

Else post the images to show us the problem.

-Brett

Brett, the nub did NOT fill the frame. Read my last post above. It tells how the pic's got wipped out.