Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1

The recent tragidy is probably the worst in history. Mother nature has shown her power in a catistrofic event. I have been watching the news and crying for these poor people that had no idea what was comming. My heart and prayers go out 10 fold for everyone effected by this.

I also see countries, governments, business's, and people banding together on a scale never before seen, to help out. I hope the world learns a lesson from this. And It shows me that there is still more good than bad in the world.

God bless the world and every living thing.

I am going to take advantage of this nice day to go out and take some pictures to remind myself how fragile the moments that I capture are, and how every moment captured is a moment frozen in time never to be repeated.

Happy New Year to all of you.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:36 PM   #2

Bobc...

Couldn't agree more. It's utterly incomperhendable. I can't stand going on the news sites or TV because the casualties - already unbearable, just rise by 10,000 or more each time. I'm a softie... I can't even bring myself to kill insects in my house. (Life is life, regardless of the form God has chosen to give it...)

As psychologically self-centered as it is, it leaves me with a "make every moment count" mindset. Look at these poor people. Over 100,000 people never saw it coming, life gone is seconds. Or worse - they survived and their loved ones, childern many of them, gone. Hearbreaking, devistating.

My NY resolution? This time something fun... take more pictures, enjoy life more, worry less. Get less bent out of shape over stupid s**t I have no control over (like who's running the country and how it's being run... or not finding socks that match in the morning ) As corny is it seems - be grateful for every second of life. Live in the moment and find joy in every second of it... looking at your childern, your wife, each breath, the taste of every morsel of food, every sip of water.

Before the grace of God go I. And time to revist the Tao and eastern philosophies I studied in college.

N
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3

Hello Bobc and NickTrop,

You both impress this forum member as kind, gentle and honorable men.

Your hearts may be lifted slightly by the story of a little girl who was in Thailand on the coast with her family on vacation from the USA.

Her name is Tilly.

She saw the sea uncharacteristically recede. Incredibly, she remembered her geography lesson that taught this was a sign of a tsunami in the making.

She told her momma,

"A tsumani is coming! We have to leave NOW!"

Her family hesitated...until she uttered the "magic" words...

"Tidal wave!".

They did not linger and moved to high ground along with several dozen others. None were lost from her area.

They are not many 10 y/o kids who save dozens in the heartbeat of a moment.

Lil' Tilly did...though she does not consider herself a hero.

Another group of Thai folks, called Sea Gypsies, recognized the sign of an impending tsunami and also evacuated to high ground.

I too grieve for the generations lost...yet my heart is a little lighter knowing that Tilly and a few other brave folks did not hesitate to seek higher ground and were saved.

Now the "world" knows...if you see the sea greatly recede very suddenly, seek high ground immediately.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:11 AM   #4

digcamfan...

That is truely amazing. I too feel lighter from that.

When I was small, I remember a movie I watched. It was called Jason And The Orginots (Don't know if I spelled it right). In one part of the movie, the tide went out as far as the eye could see. Shortly after a giant tidle wave hit. That part of the movie stuck in my mind, and if I was ever at the beach and saw something like that, I would know something bad was getting ready to happen.

Thank you for sharing that story, It is tuely heart lifting.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:30 PM   #5

Hi Bobc...

I got the story just a lil wrong...She is a Brit, not a Yank but that does not diminish her actions in any way.

More below...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143092,00.html
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:52 AM   #6

Let's not forget Tilly's geography teacher. We never know the impact (good or bad) that we have. The people who were saved by Tilly's warning owe their lives, in part, to Tilly's teacher, and whatever characteristic Tilly or her teacher have that let that bit of information stick in her brain. And there was a reason Tilly's teacher chose that profession. Whoever inspired Tilly's teacher also played a role in saving Tilly and her beach neighbors.

There are two points I'm trying to make. The first is that each of us may be having an important impact that we are completely unaware of. The second is that the last person in the rescue chain gets a lot of recognition, but the one's before her also play important roles. In American football--althoughthe analogy probably works for the other kind offootball too--the person catching the pass gets the glory when he makes a touchdown, but the quarterback had an important role, as well as the linebackers. (Is linebacker the position I'm thinking of? The people who block the opposing players so the quarterback has time to throw a good pass.)

Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7

American football can be confusing to the more traditional football that is called "soccer" and visa versa.

Linebackers play defensively to prevent the offense from advancing the football to the goal line.

What you meant is, offensive linemen. They protect the quarterback and in other schemes block the opponent which includes linebackers to help advance the football to the goal line.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote