Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:24 PM   #1

I'm considering buying one of the Nikon 6T adapters for my FZ20 for close-up work. I have a couple of questions...

1. How close do you have to get with the adapter to achieve good macro results? I look at some of the pics here (like Willow's spider) and wonder, just how far away was the lens from the subject, and at what zoom setting were those shots taken?

2. Can the FZ20focus properlyoverits full zoom range with the 6T adapter in place?

I already have a Phayee adapter on my camera, so the 6T'sthread size won't be an issue.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:56 PM   #2

Just to clarify, the nikon 6t is a close-up lens or, better yet, a macro conversion lens rather than an adapter. At full 12x zoom with the 6t attached you will obtain focus at about 10"-12" from the subject and the captured width will be about 2.5cm. Of course, cropping can further magnify the results. Yes, the fz20 will have macro capabilty throughout the zoom range with the 6t attached. IMO, a close-up lens is an absolute necessity for fz series macro photography. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:21 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
I'm considering buying one of the Nikon 6T adapters for my FZ20 for close-up work. I have a couple of questions...

1. How close do you have to get with the adapter to achieve good macro results? I look at some of the pics here (like Willow's spider) and wonder, just how far away was the lens from the subject, and at what zoom setting were those shots taken?

2. Can the FZ20 focus properly over its full zoom range with the 6T adapter in place?

I already have a Phayee adapter on my camera, so the 6T's thread size won't be an issue.
You should conisder getting the Nikon 5T on top of the 6T. And by stacking on top of each other, it will increase the magnification too.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:52 PM   #4

[You should conisder getting the Nikon 5T on top of the 6T. And by stacking on top of each other, it will increase the magnification too. ]

I think I'll get the 6T first, and see if I need more. If I do, then I'll look for a 5T to go with it. Would another 6T provide even more, or would that be too much?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:35 PM   #5

I think you'll find the 6t sufficient for most macros patricularly since you can crop quite a bit with the fz20 and maintain a good depth of field. You could stack another 6t for a total of +6 diopter.

Better yet, consider the Raynox dcr250 3-element +8 diopterlens. $50 at bugeyedigital. It is a great little lens that works very nicley with the fz series with no vignetting in the upper half of the zoom range. You can stack the 6t and the dcr250 for a total +11 diopter. I doubt you would ever want to go higher than that.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:35 PM   #6

Fred,

How do you think the dcr-250 would work with the FZ3? If it does not vignette below about 6x on the FZ20 would you get even lower into the zoom with the 55mm FZ3? Also is it very heavy?

Your work looks very impressive to me. Are you using this lens for most of your macro work? If not how come?

Thanks

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:48 AM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
I think you'll find the 6t sufficient for most macros patricularly since you can crop quite a bit with the fz20 and maintain a good depth of field. You could stack another 6t for a total of +6 diopter.

Better yet, consider the Raynox dcr250 3-element +8 diopter lens. $50 at bugeyedigital. It is a great little lens that works very nicley with the fz series with no vignetting in the upper half of the zoom range. You can stack the 6t and the dcr250 for a total +11 diopter. I doubt you would ever want to go higher than that.
Can the 6T be stackable on the DCR250? And also if it can, though the diopter will be bigger but the working distance will be quite close to the object, right?

spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:59 AM   #8

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
How do you think the dcr-250 would work with the FZ3? If it does not vignette below about 6x on the FZ20 would you get even lower into the zoom with the 55mm FZ3? Also is it very heavy?

Your work looks very impressive to me. Are you using this lens for most of your macro work? If not how come?
I would expect the dcr-250 to get the same results with the fz3 as with the fz1; ie, excellent. The lens is not heavy and can easily be used with the 55mm supplied fz3 adapter. The dcr250 comes with an adapter of it's own; a spring loaded snap-on affair that fits on any diameter from 52mm to 67mm. With the fz1 I can get down to about 4x zoom before vignetting starts.

Many of my macro shots were taken using the +3 diopter olympus b-macro simply because the dcr250 is just too powerful (ie, unnecessary) for larger subjects. Also, at full zoom, with the dcr250, the depth of field is extemely shallow - perhaps only 2- 3mm. But for smaller insect shots and rains drops,etc the dcr250 is great.This dandelion interior wasat full zoom with the fz1/dcr250 from about 5" away.

Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:24 AM   #9

Fred,

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I will start out with the dcr-150. As I understand it that unit is a +4. I don't want to "limit" myself right off the bat with a super powerful lens that may take more practice to get the shot right.

I plan on working with some flower macro shots at first, then I'll go bug hunting.

I am also planing on getting the TL-55 some day. Do you think the 55 would work well stacked on top of the 150?

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:45 AM   #10

spiderman wrote:
Quote:
Can the 6T be stackable on the DCR250? And also if it can, though the diopter will be bigger but the working distance will be quite close to the object, right?
Yes, they are stackable. The dcr250 has a 49mm front thread so a 49-62mm step ring would be needed to connect the two with the 6t on front which I believeis prefered since it is the larger diameter lens; more incoming light. However, this may not make that much difference, in which case the dcr250 supplied snap-on adaptershould connect to the front of the 6t which apparently has 62mm threads and no step ring would be needed.

See thebottom twothreads at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=41053for some shots using the fz1 and the dcr250 stacked with the oly b-macro (same basic lens as 6t although 55mm) on the front. The working distance there is about 4" from the subject.