Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1

I've finally decided on what camera I want to get, after exhaustive research. It was originally between the Minolta A2 and a couple of others, but I wasn't impressed with the reviews on the new Minolta A200. The FZ20 has everything I want, and even though I wish it were 6+ megapixels, the price is right.

Anyway, all the local places here have it for its MSRP of $599. I searched MySimon and found some places that had it as cheap as $490 including shipping, but I'm rather wary of that. On Ebay, I've seen some kits with a lot of good stuff in them, but they run kind of expensive ($640, though they have 512mb of 60x memory, spare battery, case, tripod, etc).

My question is, where do YOU guys buy your cameras from?
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2

Deuce.. congrats on your final choice, I'm sure once you get it you won't be dissapointed. As for where to buy, it's good that you're being careful of just ANY place for buying it. I've read some not-so-nice stories about shady online stores.

Anyway, I found an online site called www.digitalfotoclub.com , and they have the camera for $509. I purchased it, along with their Deluxe Accesories kit (tripod, battery, 256mb sd card, cleaning kit and bag). Total for me plus shipping came out to $615. Allot cheaper, with allot more then had I gone to my local Frys to purchase it. As for wether or not the online store is good, visit www.resellerratings.com and then type in the website for whichever online store you decide to go with. Mine had a 9.3 rating, and tons of positive entries from satisfied customers.

Wish you the best of luck in your purchase, and welcome to the club. Oh, www.mwave.com has 512 mb Kingmax Platinum 60x SD cards for $52. It was one of the few places that had the card in stock, and still at a decent price. Not so hot a rating at Resellers Ratings, but I want that card!!

p.s.: The price listed is $599, but once you add it to your cart, it'll show up as $509 and some change! :|
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

deuce, i just purchased a fz20 from cord camera via their eBay store. they also have a website at www.cordcamera.com and brick and mortar stores if you are in ohio or indiana. i paid $469 with no extra accessories - just the stuff that panasonic ships the camera in. ordered on tuesday and received it on friday. they appear to be out, but someone mentioned on another forum that they restock them regularly. the camera was well packed and came with a receipt for warranty purposes. they also maintain in their ebay ads that they are an authorized panasonic dealer. by far the best price i could find on this camera, and made my decision between the minolta z3 and panasonic fz15 moot since the fz20 was available here for not much more. good luck on your hunt!

Deuce wrote:
Quote:
I've finally decided on what camera I want to get, after exhaustive research. It was originally between the Minolta A2 and a couple of others, but I wasn't impressed with the reviews on the new Minolta A200. The FZ20 has everything I want, and even though I wish it were 6+ megapixels, the price is right.

Anyway, all the local places here have it for its MSRP of $599. I searched MySimon and found some places that had it as cheap as $490 including shipping, but I'm rather wary of that. On Ebay, I've seen some kits with a lot of good stuff in them, but they run kind of expensive ($640, though they have 512mb of 60x memory, spare battery, case, tripod, etc).

My question is, where do YOU guys buy your cameras from?
1SFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:06 AM   #4
Mag

I bought my fz20 from onecall.com very hassle free it was 499.00 plus shipping, and its relitively close to you they ship out of Spokane Wa.

I would purchase my memory elseware I highly recomend newegg.com for that, they have fast kingmax platinum 512mb 40.00 you can save more for 1 gig. Newegg rules excelent service but not much for camera stuff.

I have also ordered from adorama and bhphoto also recomended.
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:23 AM   #5

Mag wrote:
Quote:
I bought my fz20 from onecall.com very hassle free it was 499.00 plus shipping, and its relitively close to you they ship out of Spokane Wa.

I would purchase my memory elseware I highly recomend newegg.com for that, they have fast kingmax platinum 512mb 40.00 you can save more for 1 gig. Newegg rules excelent service but not much for camera stuff.

I have also ordered from adorama and bhphoto also recomended.
But they never have it in stock!! I've been haunting that website, waiting for updates, but they keep pushing availability dates back further and further. Their prices can't be beat though. Too bad they didn't have any in stock when it came time for me to order. Oh well.. I'll probably buy another 512mb from them, once I see them have it in stock.
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6

Check www.reselleratings.com and search for FZ20. You will find the rating of the store and you can read customer reviews. It is very helpful to avoid getting ripped off.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:00 AM   #7
RDV

I bougth mine at ibuydigital.com for $488.00 and received in two days.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:23 PM   #8

i got mine from some online store in NYC called "digitally discovered". customer service stunk, they tried to sell me all sorts of overpriced accessories, and it took 3 weeks to get the camera, but for $449, i'm not complaining TOO loud...

if you do buy online, look at the seller's ratings, and if you're worried about poor service, choose only those with many ratings and high scores. you may pay more, but you'll get your camera faster and with less hassle. also, make sure the camera comes with a USA warranty. some unscrupulous sellers will offer 'gray-market' cameras that were not intended for the US market, and if there's a problem, you'll have to send the camera to Japan for repairs.

bottom line, it's all a matter of how much money you want to spend. there are lots of places where you can get one for under $500. the FZ's are terrific cameras, and would be a good buy even at full MSRP, but if you can save yourself a hunnerd bucks or so, why not do it? use the money you save to buy a decent sized SD card and a couple of spare batteries (i found good, 750mAh replacements on eBay for $15) so you can go out and take LOTS of pictures with your wonderful new toy! :-)

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice... I wound up buying a package deal from ebay. Something about 99.8% positive feedback was comforting :shock:
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote