Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:24 AM   #1

This is my African Grey Congo parrot, Koko. Though she looks quite calm here but she is a very lively little darling and is quite noisy at times! :G

spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:04 AM   #2

spider...nice shot....i love the grays!!!!

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:45 AM   #3

Thank you willow, do you have a parrot or a gray too?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:41 AM   #4

Great Parrot portrait. Very stoic and noble. I never realized how long these birds can live. Didn't I read somewhere that Roosevelt or Churchill (or some other long dead recent historical figure...) had a Parrot that's still alive?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:56 AM   #5

Bwana was head of our household for 18 years and was killed this year during the hurricanes. I took her to the vet and had her wings clipped because I was planning to evacuate for Ivan and didn't want her stuck in her cage. I built a perch on top of her travel cage so she could see out the truck window. During the unsettling of the hurricane a raccoon tore through the screen on the porch where she sleeps and killed her. She would have been fine if she could fly. The raccoons have never done anything like that before.

Besides an enormous vocabulary she could imitate every phone we ever got. We learned to wait for two rings before going to answer the phone because Bwana would say "hello" after her second ring. She eventually wised up and just continued ringing. She did dogs, cats, fire engines, car burglar alarms and even fireworks. Company was amazed at how interactive she was – she always wanted to be part of everything.

She regularly commuted between New York and Florida with us. Over those years we had dozens of funny situations with her. Everyone who regularly flew the Florida route knew her by name.

Remove all Teflon coated cookware from your kitchen if you haven't already done it. I met two different people who had killed their Greys by burning the Teflon in a pot or pan. In neither case was the bird near the kitchen. I haven't had Teflon coated cookware since I heard of the danger over 15 years ago. One guy had an article in Bird Talk magazine about killing off his entire aviary of dozens of birds by applying a liquid (not aerosol) silicone waterproofing to his shoes inside the house with the door open that led to the outdoor aviary. Any form of silicone is deadly.

This is the only picture of Bwana already online:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:12 PM   #6

Hi slipe,

I'm really sorry to learn your loss. I read on the net that African Grey Congo(AGC) is the best speaker among the parrots. Koko is about 16 months old now. She(maybe is a He, but the features that I read from thenet, describes it is a She) knows only a few words like Hello(in Greek), Moron(in Greek) hehe....., Koko(her name) and latest is my wife's name, Mina. We taught her greek cos we live in Greece. She is very noisy at times and trying to speak. It was known that AGC starts to speak generally from 1.5 years and above. And some rare ones start speaking earlier.

I read on the net that they can live up to 70 years and the smartest AGC is named Alex which a group of vets or scienctists did a re*****h and understudied Alex.

I can see your late-Bwana has a very well groomed flock of feathers! Koko is really silly and her red tail is not well groomed, in other words not smmoth. At first, we bought a baby Grey and it died in ten days. We had a small dispute with the pet shop cos we said that they sold us a sick baby parrot. So we demanded for compensation as it was not cheap. My wife was so depressed that she wanted to get another one, so here she is, Koko.

We put her in a cage in the beginning and later we bought her a perch-like stand with a big platebut her leg ahd to been chained. She did not quite like it and one day we came back from work(no one else was around when we work), she was entangled and trapped under the plate on the stand. We were shocked and quickly released her.

Then one morning, my mom-in-law who comes to our house to do house chores daily, found Koko in that situation too and she tried to release the chain from her leg and you know what????? Koko flew away thru one of the opened window!!! She called us at work and immediately we rushed home and tried to search around the neighbourhood but to no avail! My wife was devasted! We thought Koko was gone and I told my wife not to buy another parrot anymore. Maybe we were fated not to have a parrot afterall. On the same day, we told the pet shop owners too and they advice usto broadcast over the radio or tv. I was like...."What???" Given up hope, we went back to work(btw,we work together). And about a few hours later, the pet shop owners called us at work and told us that someone from an office place found a parrot. We were not sure if it is our parrot but the description of grey feather and a red tail parrot fit the bill of Koko. We rushed to that office place and found Koko there. She recognised us immediately and came to close to us. Can you imagine that she was only 4 months old then? We had her when she was 3 months. She still had the chain on when we found her. The people in that oofice building told us that a lady heard some knocking at the window sill. Then she saw it was a parrot(Koko) knocking at the window as if asking her to open the window and let her in! The local tv station came too to did a mini broadcast like the lost & found thing. It was really a miracle that we found her!!!

Now we do not put her on a perch but in a cage which can be opened up and at the same time serves as a stand. So whenever we are home, she is free as we open up the cage(like in the pic). She is very naughty at times and like to fly fron curtains rod to curtains rod. She is afraid of me cos I beat her likely whenever she bites me. Now she does not even dare to bite me at all but still bites my wife at tiems as if playing a game with her. With me, she does not dare to do anything funny.

May I ask, what did you feed Bwana? We give her fruits, croquettes, sunflower seeds, some vitamins mixture of seeds and nuts. We put vitamin in her water too occassionally. Her tail is not in a good shape and that worrys me. How do you upkeep her feather? I presume she did it herself right? I can see Bwana was quite well groomed and she has yellow eyes which tell she is a mature Grey. Koko still has grey eyes and turning very light grey actually.

I haven't heard of those Teflon issue. What do you exactly mean? You mean when you cook with Teflon utensils, it will give out a toxic vapour to animals? Pardon me for my ignorance but I need your enlightement cos I don't want anything to happen to Koko too. It was really sad of what the stupid racoon/s did!

Meanwhile I have attached a pic of Koko playing with her toy. I just did a quick shot a while ago.

Regards,
Jacky

Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:17 PM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Great Parrot portrait. Very stoic and noble. I never realized how long these birds can live. Didn't I read somewhere that Roosevelt or Churchill (or some other long dead recent historical figure...) had a Parrot that's still alive?
I believe that was Hitler. His parrot is still alive.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:47 PM   #8

Makes me miss my Kizzy. She was a congo grey also. They are a fiesty breed. Kizzy seemed to know the daysI wasn't feeling good and would pick that time to be as obnoxious as she could, doing all the squeeky doors and whistles she knew, at full volume. I think she enjoyed getting me mad.:-) She was a character with her wide vocabulary. She liked to tease the dogs by calling thier name, although they did get wise to it eventually. Whenever a dog would come around her cage, she'd go down to the floor to be nose to nose with them, talking to them the whole time. She'd scold them when they barked. When ever we put a coat on, she'd do the zipper sound and say 'bye bye, see ya later' and do the door opening sound and closing sound. Then when we came home, we'd be greeted with a 'well hello!'. They're a great bird.
rbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:36 PM   #9

Hi rbgc,

I forgot to mention that Koko imitated a dog's bark too. There was oncewe went for a trip and left Koko with my in laws. After 3 weeks, we came back and we were surprised that Koko imitated a dog's bark. Later we realised that it was the dog of Mina's brother, who went to my in laws house sometimes. But Koko doesn't say many words, maybe she is still young? How did you guys train or teach your Greys, I wonder?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:30 PM   #10

Jacky,

I am new here, but it is obvious how much you love Koko. I own an exotic bird store and if you are okay with some advice, I would like to give you some pointers with your bird. It seems you have already figured this out, but you should never restrain a bird by attaching anything to it's leg. A quick flight and the leg is jerked, sometimes either out of socket or broken. The safest way to restrain is to clip flight feathers.

If the picture of the toy is the only toy Koko has, you need to get something else in there for him/her to do. Greys are incredibly intelligent and need lots and lots of mental stimulation to keep them occupied. Toys that make them think are best. Try taking a plastic soda bottle (Coke bottle, etc) that has a plastic lid. Put some shelled almonds, bird pellets, or other treats in the bottle and hang it from the cage with a cotton string. You can also purchase some really great toys online through several bird websites. I'm not aware of what's available in Greece, but if you need help finding toy websites let me know and I'll send you some to look at.

For diet, Koko needs plenty of calcium. A boiled egg that you cut in half, leave the shell on, is a good source. Only leave available about 2 hours because eggs grow harmful bacteria quickly. Also broccoli, sweet potato, peppers, leafy greens such as kale and spinach are good.

Koko is a beautiful bird with a tail that looks very much like a baby grey....in other words one that plays hard and moves around the cage a lot without regard to where their tail is in the process. That will change as Koko gets older.

Good luck, and I hope you don't think I'm trying to meddle in your life......just always trying to help people who may not have much bird experience learn as much as possible about these wonderful creatures.

Cindy

PS I have had my FZ20 about a week now. I'll post pictures soon. Thanks for all the help available here.
purpleones is offline   Reply With Quote