Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:32 PM   #11

Quick Cal,

I went to local camera shop and they did not havea UV filterover 77 mm. I will have to go tho the big store in the city to get some help.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of silicon. It is always so messy and once you put a full bead of it around the lens and set the filter in, it may not ever come out.

What do you think of this:

Measure the inside diameter of the lens and the outside diameter of the threaded part of the filter. The difference between the two is the amount of space to make up with something.What if you took somethin black foam with adhesive on the back. Kind of like weather stripping butmore rigid. The foam can onlybe a little thicker than 1/2 the difference between the two diameters. The inside diameter of the lens times 3.1416 is thelength of the foam needed.Peel off the backing and stick around the inside of the lens. Thread the filter into the foam. Now you can add the hood the right way. I wouldn't hold the camera by this rig, but it should hold pretty good.

This is one idea, but here is what I really think needs to be done at a machine shop to make an adapter (the followingsizes are preliminary, I have not checked them yet). Take a piece of aluminum or delrin and turn the outside diameter to about 96 mm. Make the piece about10 mm tall. Turn the inside diameter of one end to 92 or 93 mm by6mm deep (if i remember right, the documentation says the outside diameter of the lens is 90 mm). Turn theinside diameter of the other end to just a smidgen over the outside diameter of thefilter thread. Apply a small bead of silicon to the threads on the filter and set it into the adapter. Once dry, put felt on the inside diameter on the lens side to make a snug fit over the outside diameter of thelens like on thelens cap. If more support is needed, the adapter can have a small thumb screw to help hold it on the lens.

I have to run all the numbers to see what will or will not work, but I think this is what I am going with.

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:53 PM   #12

I found some 95 mm filters and this may be just the ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:01 AM   #13

:idea:Have you thought about using caulking tape? It can be picked up at any hardware store, or even your local Wal Mart. If I am understanding you correctly, you need something to make a tighter fit between the threads of the filter and the threads of the hood or lens. All you would need to do is to wrap the tape, which is very thin, a couple of times around the filter. Peel off the excess so that it is not interfering with your shot in any way, and then screw it in. The best thing is that the stuff is not permanent at all, it would just allow for a tighter fit and the filter would still be removable if you needed it to be. Just an idea boss. Let us know how it turns out.

Doug.
Doug Scroggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:03 AM   #14

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been on the road, and I'm just home for the night.

There is no room to put anything in between the two. All it really needs is something to secure it in place. I hope I can explain this. If you put the filter in the right direction, the male thread's hit's the ring that holds the lens in place. You can't file off the thread's either because then the two peice's of glass will hit.

I don't have tome to mess with it right now, I have to leave again in the morning. Sohow's the progress with the 95mm filter. Picture's man, picture's. :-)
Attached Images

Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:39 AM   #15

I have been working on an adapter for adding a filter to the tele lens. I am about finished designing it and will post pictures when complete. It will slip over the front of the lens and hold a filter, either 86 mm or 95mm. I am not sure which yet. I am leaning towards the 95mm filter so I don't get any vignetting or loose any of the len's range. The problem is the filter, 85.50 for a Hoya UV and 12.00 for the lens cap.

Hey, but what's another $100 bucks to protect thislens.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:25 PM   #16

Well I went ahead and siliconed mine in. I used a real thin bead that can be easily removed if need be. I used black silicone too. I'm very pleased with the result's, ecept for the dang fuzz off the leans cleanig cloth is now in my silicone. :evil:If it wasn't for that you wouldn't be able to tell what I did.

Make sure to keep me posted on how yours turn's, and don't forget the pic's. Cal
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:35 PM   #17

Sounds like it turned out well QuickCal. Did you loose any range or get vignetting?

You are right to make it permanent. Why would you want to remove it anyway?

Mine will take a while as I have to order everything off the internet. No local camera stores have thesize filters I want. I will keep you posted.

Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:16 PM   #18

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It's not any different than adding a filter to any other lens, so hopefully there won't be any problem's with vignetting. I'll let you know about that latter. Cal
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:02 PM   #19

What a day today was. I had to go into the city for work and on the wayback I took a chancethat the main wolf camera store for the area had a UV filter. And guess what, I just happened to have my camera with me (must of planned this?).

Well it was a good idea.They had an 86 mmUV filterand it is nearly the exact sameoutside diameter as the DMW-LTZ10 tele conversion lens. In fact, if the lens was threaded, it would be for an 86 mm filter. The question was how to get it to fit. As you said QuickCal, it just wasn't going to slip in, but for 50.00 I took the chance and thought I could modify it.

When I got back to the office I called our tool maker who has a very nice metal shop setup in the corner of the plant. I asked him if he could turn the threads off on the lathe to make the filter slip in and he thought he could.I put masking tape around the outside of the filter housing and put two layers over both sides of the glass. The only thing exposed was the treads.

He chucked thefilter up and turned the threads off in about 10 minutes. The funny thing was that he never turned the lathe on. He was so worried about breaking the glass that he turned the headstock by hand as he moved the cutter across the threads. He took about .005 to .010 off at a time. The cutter has to be really sharp to do this.

The numbers are as follows for anyone wanting to do the same thing (dimensions taken with a vernier caliper).I would recommend measuring your own lens as the inside diameter may vary.

- Lens inside diametermeasured 3.342 inches on my lens (be careful, the wall appears to be tapered slightly).

- Filter thread diametermeasuredabout 3.371 before turning threads off. Final size was approximately 3.329 (he stopped turning at this point because the tool was starting to grab too much).

This workedperfectly and I actually have black tape holding it in place until I decide on whether to glue it inor not. The plus side of this is the black tape makes the filter just wide enough to use the regular lens cap supplied with the DMW-LTZ10. The down side is the filter knocks off just a smidgen of range. Before filter 3x zoom and up had no vignetting. With the filter it is about 3.5 x to 4 x before no vignetting. But if you set the camera to tele conversion lens, the minimum zoom is 6x anyway.

Here are some pics to see what I did. Sorry for the poor quality. I was so happythis worked that Ileft the camera is auto mode with the flash.

Attached Images

Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:39 AM   #20

I would love to see some pics taken with your FZ20 and DMW-LTZ10 tele-lens.

Please please

Nice work BTW to get that filter to fit. Hope it all works out for you.
JandG is offline   Reply With Quote