Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:34 AM   #1

First , if you haven't all ready, read shenes' rewiew's on tele conversion lens's here. He state's that the Panasonic lens did perform much better than the other's on the Panasonic camera. However, be fore warned, if you're not ready to drop $500 plus, this lens is not for you. I had a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a lens, (really read's I'm poor)but I just wanted what I thought would perform the best, so I bit the bullet.

I almost didn't buythis lensbecause of the no thread's for filter's or lens hood. But I thought surely I could come up with something. Well I took it to the local camera store and started test fitting filter's. I found 2 option's. Either a 77mm or 82mm filter will fit in the end if the lens.If you aren't worried about lens hood, a 77mm filter will fit if you put it in backward's, not being able to use the thread's for a hood. If you use it corectly, it hit's the glass. The reason this may be an option is it would not be quite as a perminet installation. It goes farther into the lens, and could be temporarly secured with a couple of dab's of silicone, or something that could easily be removed.

The 82mm was a tight fit.I didn't actually buy the filter yet, so I'm not 100% sure of the end result's until I get one. The store only had Pro Master and I want a Hoya. It seemed likeI could just gently tap it in. Or, it may need to be sanded just a little. This is more of a force fit making it harder to remove if neccesary,,,,maybe. I guess it just depend's on how much you take off. You would be able to use a lens hood though.

Hopefully the other local shop will have the filter I want and I can finish my project. I'll keep you guy's posted on the end result's. I hope someone will find this usefull. Cal
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:53 AM   #2

Very useful. Hoping to see some pics soon.

Thanks

JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:35 AM   #3

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea: And it has a filter.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:37 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

Quick Cal,

Did you end up pressing the 82mm filter into the end of the lens?

If so, did you merely push hard or did you need to sand it down? Will it ever come out?

If not, what did you do?

So many question marks! :?

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:00 PM   #6

Details, details, details. What have you got here and where did you get it?
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:12 PM   #7

I did get to use the lens today even though it was overcast. I am very impressed. I hand held about 20 shots in the backyard and then another 20 with a monopod.

Here is a hand held shot. I cropped and saved for the web in photoshop.
Attached Images

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:53 PM   #8

Well I'm at a little bit of a stand still. I Bought a 82mm Hoya HMC Super filter off of ebay. It fit's a littlelooser then the Promaster that I tested in the store. What''s funny is it was supposed to be a pro 1, but they sent the wrong one. But this is better since it's longer, giving me the surface area I need for the silicone. It will fit real nice if I put it in backwards. But then I have to turn the rubber lens hood inside out, wich is fine, but I have a little concern. It then is only 1' long. I don't know if that's enough for a teleconversion hood. What do you guy's think.

If I put the filter in the correct direction, it's doesn't go down in as far, and it's a little harder to get straight, but I think it will be fine. I just have to make sure it's on the money before I silicone it in.

I'm waiting for a reply to my thread in misc accessories to help me decide if I want to use this lens hood. I'm really open for suggestion's. How long should the hood be.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=67

At first I thought I'd just put a couple of dab's of silicone to hold the filter in place. Now that I think of it, dust might be able to get in then. I think if I run a full bead all the way around I will be able to peal it off if need be. Anyone have a better Idea.

What I would really like to find is a 82mm reversing ring. Then I could put the filter in backward's making it just a little more secure.

Let's put our head's together and brain storm this thing. Cal
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:55 PM   #9

Here's with the filter in the right direction making the threads correct for the lens hood. See how it doesn't go in very far. But it will work if it has to.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:00 PM   #10

Here's the filter in backward's, making it more secure. But then I have to turn the lens hood inside out and it will only be 1' long. If I could come up with the reverse ring, this is the way I would do it. See how much farther down in the lens it is.
Attached Images