Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:43 AM   #1

Hi all,

Have been looking at photo printers(have an all purpose printer already) and would like to get one for the home. Have done all my "shoppin" thru the net so have not seen any in person yet. Been looking at the Canon 4000 or i860 and the Epson r200/300. Do you have any opinions on these? How about generic inks-have heard that they can clog up the jets-a scare tactic or?

Does anyone know how long these last-understandable that with name paper and inks will last longer-don't plan on them sitting out in the open but in albums-scrapbooker you know.

Again thanks in advance,

Happy :|,

norma

ps price is an object-under $150.

pps. guess could have posted on the print board-which have studied but thought would check with fellow fuzzies-me a fz3:-)
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:44 AM   #2

I have an i960. Prints very nice pictures. I think the i860 uses 4 ink tanks while the 960 uses 6. As far as using generic inks go, I wouldn't. My old printer was a Canon s750, and printed very good photos. I was told to just use generic inks, as they won't make any difference. Well they do, at least the ones I used did. Pictures faded quite quickly, and colours were off a bit. Also screwed up the head on the printer, and it is now relegated to doing text only. Live and learn. I've only been using OEM inks with my 960 and have had none of the above problems. Cheers thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:09 AM   #3

I recently purchased the Canon i960 and have been very pleased. 6 color with separate cartridges. Quality has been excellent so far. It is a previous year's model but you can get it for $90 (after evil rebates) before shipping at tigerdirect.com. Longetivity is an issue, but for personal pics I will just print again in later years. Good luck, there are lots of great options in printers.
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:35 AM   #4

Both Epson and Canon make good photo printers, but from my experience, the Epsons produce more accurate color, whereas the Canons are big into primary colors. The Epsons tend to last longer, too, though that's just my experience. You just have to make sure you turn them off when you're not using them, or the printer will waste a lot of ink cleaning the heads (the only big problem I have with Epsons).

As for fade resistance, neither the Epsons nor the Canons you mentioned will give you more than 20 years at the most (no matter how they try to fudge the numbers). You'd have to go with a pigment-ink printer like the Epson R800, which is out of your price range, or the Epson Picturemate, which only does 4x6 prints. The C86/C66/etc line has pigment ink as well, but they're only 4 color. Pigment ink printers will give you 80+ years of fade resistance, though.

Using generic ink can destroy the printhead, depending on the quality. Not such a big deal with Canon, as you can replace the printhead. At the very best, generic ink will just make your prints fade a whole lot faster, even if it doesn't ruin anything.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:41 AM   #5

chopper123 wrote:
Quote:
Been looking at the Canon 4000 or i860 and the Epson r200/300.* Do you have any opinions on these?* How about generic inks-have heard that they can clog up the jets-a scare tactic or? Does anyone know how long these last-understandable that with name paper and inks will last longer-don't plan on them sitting out in the open but in albums-scrapbooker you know.
Hi Norma,

I use an the Epson R200 and have been quite pleased with it. I would purchase that over the 300 if you do not intend to print directly from the printer. I always print from the PC, so the extra features of the R300 would have been a waste in my case.

I offer a dissenting opinion on generic inks. I use Abacus 24X7 for some time now and never had an issue. The color might be a "hair" off from the OEM inks but at around $30 vs $75 per set, I ain't being so picky. No clogs, no issues. As one person pointed out, however, you need to turn your printer off when not in use, using the on/off button on the printer. While my experice with generics has been positive, your mileage may vary... use at your own risk.

That said, I may pick up an HP 7660 (I think thats the model) as I like to print black and whites, and you simply can not get acceptable B&W prints from color injets. The HP has a special gray ink tank that you swap out for B&W photos.

For paper, I have been using Kodak colorlife lately. That's (supposed to, anyway) increase the life of your photos close to chemically processed photos. If you use this paper, you MUST change the color profile of your printer (not hard on the R-200) or use their free software to print. The other issue is that their 6X4 size is really 6X4.5, and I don't think the R-200 will let you do borderless on custom sizes. I will trade borderless for a longer life, personally.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:42 AM   #6

I also use the Epson R200 and am very happy with it. It is very comparable to pics I've had printed at photo labs.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:11 AM   #7

Thanks so much for the speedy and informative replys!! Decisions decisions, almost as hard as which camera to buy-but I made a good choice on that.

Have heard plus and minuses on generic ink-as someone pointed out "your milage may vary" how true and pretty funny:-)

Am going out today,with the kids to see Lemony Snickets so hopefully I can stop at a few stores also and pick the salesmens brains-for all the good that will do me.

Have a good one!

Happy :|,

norma

have to get a stepdown for my new lens-c210 just came by fedex:-D
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:16 PM   #8

I have had an Epson R300 which prints beautiful pics, but ink usewas high. I currently use a Canon i960, and feel it is the best printer I have ever used. The photos it prints with good paper are phenomenal, and the paper I have found that works the best is the new Costco (Kirkland) paper - it is absolutely fantastic.

Ink costs are far lower, and good generic ink cartridges and refill kits are readily available. Inkgrabber.com has great cartridges which print with no loss of quality for about $2.75 each
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:47 PM   #9
scb

Currently using a HP 2210 All-in-one printer.It seems to produce really nice prints...especially on glossy Kodak paper. There has been a lot said about printers....i.e. cost of ink. Personally, I've had better results using OEM ink cartridges. Some feel that Epsons use more ink because of the built in cleaning process everytime the printer is activated....don't know that for a fact. Separate ink cartridges used by Canon seems to be a great idea. At this point, if you are printing a lot of pictures, there sees to be better deals by uploading your prints to a commercial printer and having them sent to you....one of the sites was just offiering 17cent 4x6 prints. I doubt if anyone can print them at home for that price.

So.......I would take a memory card with me and have a dealer print out some pictures from your card. Examine the quality.....make sure they are printed on quality paper. Then consider uesage cost. Buy what is best for you.....forget about the rest and enjoy.

Best of luck!
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:45 PM   #10

scb wrote:
Quote:
There has been a lot said about printers....i.e. cost of ink.
When you think about it, the cost of ink is outrageous. I had a freind tell me that hie figured out that the cost of a tri-color ink cartridge, which only contained 19 ml of ink, and cost something like $33.95, worked out to over $6000 per gallon! Makes $2 gasoline look like a good deal, doesn't it?

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote