Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:43 PM   #1

Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time to help me w/ a few questions :-)

I'm going to purchase a Lumix FX 20 and need help in the following areas:

1. Based on what I can get from internet research the proper size adapter tube is 52mm. Is this correct or no? If not then what should I be using?

2. Are adapter tubes "one size fits all"? Will a Raynox adapter tube work with a Panasonic lens? Is there an industry standard or are there proprietary products made by various manufacturers?

3. Do I need a tube for filters or do they attach directly over the factory lens? If so what size should I buy?

4. Can I attach filters over the end of conversion lenses? For example...if I wanted to take a telephoto shot w/ a polarized lens...is this possible?

5. What do the two measurements mean w/ regard to the lenses ? For example...an advertisement will make reference to a 52mm and 82mm size. What is the purpose of the different threads ?

6. I'm currently settled on Raynox lenses but as you can tell this is from reading reviews, etc only. My personal experience w/ this topic is nil. Is there another good value lens company that I'm missing? Please let me know.

I realize that this is a whole heck of a lot and I sincerely appreciate any help you can give. I'm headed to Rome for our 10th anniversary and I really want to get the best photos that I can so this info is important to me.

So as they say (I think they do...) in Rome:

Ciao :lol:

Heavy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

Read the sticky at the top of the page. it will answer all of your questions and more!
Goosemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3

I went through it though it leaves some things unclarified. Thanks in any case. I shall press on.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

FZ20 tube adapters come in 52, 55,58, and 62mm from different manufacturers and have standard threads at the front end. The rear (camera end) is 64mm. If I were you with little time and fz20 experience before your trip to Rome, I would get the52mm Raynox PLP-P20 MC Protector & Polarizer Filter Kit mainly for lens protection. The FZ20 is quite a piece of work on its own. Save your interest in filters and conversion lens for later. The Raynox adapter will accept many different lens although 52mm step rings may be required.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Save your interest in filters and conversion lens for later.
Second that opinion.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:18 PM   #6

Although the advice to wait is certainly wise I've already jumped in.

Things began to clarify after a few reads through the stickied post along with some research at review sites and aftermarket lens sites, etc.

I'm in for a Lumix FZ20 (black), a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens.

Thank you all very much for trying do do right by me. I have come to this site for years but have only recently stopped trolling and started posting.

I'll post some pics as I become more proficient.

Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:50 PM   #7

So what lens's are you getting. Cal
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote