Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:57 PM   #1

Hi peeps,

While taking pictures of my plasma ball(hey, I like it OK. lol) myFZ-20 locked up completely.Iturned the camera off and oddly it stayed on butwouldn't retract the lens or do anything. I had to take the battery out and re-insertitand then it worked perfectly fine afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon. Lol. Have gotta say that it's the first time this has happened though and i'm happy with the camera.

Great site and people by the way, and I've also attached a picture of the plasma ball. Tee hee.

Attached Images

PotnoodleUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

I do not know much about lock up but I remember somewhere I read that one of the factor is the SD card. There was a brand, I think it is Sandisk, if I recall correctly, caused some hanged or froze.

I would advice you to reformat your SD card again. JMO.

Jacky
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jacky,

I'm using a 1GB 32X Lexar card,butI suppose it could've been a write problem whichlocked the camera up I suppose. I'm a bit suprised the camera stayed on whenI switched it off though! I can't get my head round that one at all!

Never mind, it still works OK.

Paul

Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:34 PM   #4

Paul,

I am using a 1GB card too. But it is Kingmax platinium 60X. It has no problem so far. Since it has bo problems now, just remember to reformat your card if anything hangs that's to omit the casue of the SD card. And if that's still does not work, then you can start looking into other areas.

Jacky

PS: How many data or rather pics were in your SD card when that happened?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:59 PM   #5

A thought that comes to my mind is that photo is really dark. Had the camera really finished taking the phtoto? How long did you wait before shutting off the camera? Anyway just a thought.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:03 PM   #6

Jacky,

I had about 130 pics on it. Not many really. Will re-format card when i get the chance but it's been working fine since. Weird.

Paul
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:41 PM   #7

jer1ivp wrote:
Quote:
A thought that comes to my mind is that photo is really dark. Had the camera really finished taking the phtoto? How long did you wait before shutting off the camera? Anyway just a thought.

I think exactly the same than jer1ivp. Due to darkness on the picture I suppose you used a long exposure time. It often takes a lot (up to 18 seconds after you press the shutter) for finishing, precessing and storing the picture.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:51 PM   #8

The photo is dark because it's a comprimise between shutter speed and blurring. If i keep the shutter open much more it just blurs the rapidly moving lightning.

I also had to take the photo in pitch black otherwise i get reflections on the glass.

I haven't finished my experiments yet. On macro mode and with the camera really close,the camera willuse a higher shutter (more light in the image) but it's still not enough to capture what i want properly.

Guess it's one of those photo's that really needs to be taken by a film camera??? Or maybe some heavy photoshop manipulation.

By the way, that wasn't the last photo i took before the camera locked up and did the wierd thing. I have taken lots of photo's of that plasma ball thingy. Lol.

Any help is appreciated by you experienced peeps. Me just an engineer who can afford toys with buttons. Lol.

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:38 AM   #9

If you don't mind, just send a pic of yours (dark or whatever) to me and don't do any editing, so that I can see your settings. I will see if I can work it out to bring out the pic with my softwares. I am not a pro but just some stupid guys like to mettles with pics and make them WORST! hehehe.... you can PM or email me.

Jacky

PS: 130 pics you said? Try shooting again with that amount if pics in your SD card and see if it happens again after the 130th pic. If it does, maybe the card's speed is a problem for the camera which I doubt so.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:19 PM   #10

I imagine that there are very high electric fields associated with a plasma ball and these do not go well with semiconductors. I would not put my camera too close to such a device.

Arrow
arrow is offline   Reply With Quote