Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

Hi I am going to need a digital camera for photography class soon. I am considering to buy the Panasonic Fz15 or a Casio exilim P600 since they are both within my price range. Can anyone please tell me more about the bracketing options of the Fz15 and if the maximum 8 second shutter speed is sufficient. Thank you.
HRTBRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2

Your question is incomplete to give you an answer. Sufficient for what?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:36 PM   #3

Sorry about that. I was wondering if the 8 second shutter speed will be enough since other cameras have speeds that are 15 seconds or more.
HRTBRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:08 AM   #4

You will probably almost never use shutter speeds longer than a second or two. Unless you are really in to taking artistic photos where everything is blurred beyond recognition a 15 second shutter speed is absurd. If all you want to do is depict motion in your photos you can do that with much shorter shutter speeds. This shot was taken with 1/4 sec. shutter speed:
Attached Images

BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

I don't know what exactly you want. As brYCe said, you can show motion in your picts 8 sec is more than enough.

If you want to take Nigth shoots, 8 sec could be quite sufficient (remember you have f2.8!!!.

I think you need to consider that in low ligth situation, EVF is too dark, however there are some tricks to solve this problem. You can find some suggestions in this forum.

The two images below were taken after sunset, they were at practically the same time (30 sec difference). For your eyes, it was practicaly nigth. They are not my best shoots, but they show the same landscape, different settings and can give you an idea of how you can play fith aperture and exposure time.

The first is with f6.5, 5sec.

The second is with f3.3, 8 sec.

I hope this help you.
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6

f3.3, 8sec
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:12 PM   #7

Not sure what you're concerned about... the bracketing feature of the FZ offers up to 1EV either way in 1/3EV steps, which is pretty standard for digital cameras. I'm not familiar with the Casio you mentioned, but I'd guess it's similar.

As for long exposures, I gotta agree with the other posts here... about the only thing you could possibly need more than 8 seconds for would be either astronomy shots, where you wanted to capture the motion of the stars, or if you're trying to catch a lightning bolt during an electrical storm. In either of those cases, you're be better off with a "B" (bulb) setting than even a 15-sec fixed speed. The FZ will take pretty decent low-light shots with the shutter speeds it has, so you shouldn't run into too many scenarios where you really need more...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:27 PM   #8

I'd suggest you inform with your photograpy teacher. 8 secs does the job for us, but I can't tell what assignments you may receive that may require more.

I used a minolta dimage Z1 before my fz20, and did use the 30 secs sometimes. It can produce some very abstract stuff :idea: (http://www.pbase.com/tvpopta/edge_of_reality)

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote