Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:30 PM   #1

can someone identify this parrot i live in southwest los angeles ca. and this pair of parrots have been visiting the nieghbor hood lately...you can hear then for a half a mile ..they make an awful racket...but it's music 2 my ears ...i got this pic driving around sunday mourning ..a couple of blocks from the house...i hope i can get a better picture next time it's was a cloudy day no sun but it looks a bit over exposed ..i tweaked it a bit in PS...
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2
Fox

I think this is a Amazon or in the Amazon family. It probably got out of it's cage and flew out the window (or something like that.) Have you looked in the newspaper in the classifieds. Some people will post a Lost add hoping to find their bird.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

You are right Fox, its in the Amazon family and I believe its called a Red Lored. I'm not an expert but I found this web page: http://www.centralpets.com/pages/cri.../PRT4304.shtml

I'm sure the owner would desperately like to have it back as it was probably an expensive purchase.

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:04 AM   #4

It might be a Red-Lored Amazon, and it might not be a lost pet. The LA area has several parrot species that have escaped or been released by smugglers and have adapted well to the climate. I know a guy that had a flock of Macaws living in the palm trees near his apartment in San Diego as well.

There is even a flock of parrots that has been observed ranging free in San Francisco for several years now (subject of a book and indie movie, thought to have been released by smugglers at SFO).

This site has more info: http://natureali.org/parrot_project/ID.htm
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

No secret about the ID of this one jazz. Its name is "Bert". :-)You havehave to love the colours, just gorgeaous.

All the best jazz, keep them coming :|

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:47 PM   #6

thanks everyone for the help i hope i can get a better shot .. the pair's been around since spring ...so i'm sure i'll see them again..hopefuly i'll get the shot i want...of bert and his girlfriend..lol
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote