Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:16 PM   #11

Over Christmas we had all the cameras lined up on a table.

The FZ20 is about the same size and weight as my Canon G1 that is 4 years old and lighter and smaller than my father's Canon AE-1 he has had for ?? 20 ?? years?
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:24 PM   #12

What great responses! Thank you!

The problem isn't so much the weight of the camera, but the grip. When I'm holding the grip with my right hand my finger does not naturally go to the shutter button. It's also difficult to hold the shutter down halfway and then push the exposure button, as one of the features require.

I bought it from B & H, which has a 7 day return policy on digital items.

I appreciate all the encouragement. I don't want to give up the features and quality of the fz20. Perhaps getting used to it is like when I started taking piano lessons as a child--my hands did not naturally fit on the combination of keys that made upsome of thechords, but I learned to do it. (I won't dwell on my lack on piano talent. The analogy should only be pushed so far. :G)
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:13 PM   #13

you shouldn't need to press the exposure button and half-press the shutter at the same time. why are you doing that? the half-press on the shutter only focuses the camera, it doesn't change the exposure settings. set exposure first, THEN focus and shoot. i agree, the shutter button isn't in the most convenient location, but after years of using the motor winder on my Pentax ME Super, i got used to that "high-right" location... i suspect if you give the FZ a chance, you'll get used to it. for the features it provides and the capabilities it offers, i'd say it's worth taking the time to get used to ti...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:36 AM   #14

squirl033, p. 35 of the manual says that pressing the shutter button halfway, then pressing the exposure button are two of the three steps to activating Program Shift. (The third step is pressing either left or right on the cursor button (the round thing on the back of the camera).

Thanks to all of you who told me I'd get used to the grip with experience. The other day I realized that I was no longer aware of my hands at all, just focused (no pun intented!) on learning the camera. I haven't used it much because I don't want to risk doing anything to the lens before I get a protective filter.

Thanks for all your help!

Suzaberg
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:22 AM   #15

Hi Suzaberg !

After pressing the shutter halfway in P-Mode you see the aperture and shutter speed data on the display. This data will stay there for ca. 10 seconds, even after releasing the shutter button.

And while this data is displayed, you can press the exposure button to activate program shift.

No need to press both at once.

And if you really needn't the manual focus, the p-shift, the hotshoe and the extra 1 MP than you should go for the smaller FZ3 !

Bye,

Martin
Manie_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:25 AM   #16

Thanks Martin. Very helpful!

Suzaberg