Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:49 PM   #11

Another picture of the wires...
Attached Images

rcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:53 PM   #12

and the trees...this is at about 1/4 inch of ice.
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:07 PM   #13

Last one for now - more berries...
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:11 PM   #14

TWO WEEKS WITHOUT POWER??!! Good grief! We get upset when it's off for more than an hour (and that's almost never - well, since the 70s). Like you say, shame about the missed photo opportunity but for your sake I hope it misses! And I'll feel a little warmer in bed tonight! G'night.
kaiserb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:04 PM   #15

An ice storm is a storm of "freezing rain", a form of precipitation composed of rain that turns to ice on contact with the ground. It occurs during a temperature inversion, when the air near the ground is cold (below the freezing point), but the air above it is warm enough for rain. Significant amounts of ice can accumulate up to thicknesses of several inches, and ice storms can have severe results including damaging trees, dwellings, and high-tension power lines.

("Freezing rain" begins as snow falling from a cloud towards earth. It melts completely on its way down in a layer of warm (above freezing) air and then supercools in a small layer of cold air just before it impacts the surface. Due to it being supercooled the water freezes again upon impact. )

Ice storms occur often in middle temperate climates where temperatures often dip below freezing, even where snow is infrequent.

-----------------------------
A suggestion for anyone living in an area having a potential for loss of all electric power for long periods.
Buy a DC to AC Power Inverter for use in your cars cigarette lighter receptacle so you can recharge batteries of your camera and other small electronics appliances. (I use one from Radio Shack, 60 watt capacity, p/n 22-144, cost about $40usd.) There a many out there at a wide range of prices.

m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:23 AM   #16

Do you get hoar frost from the fog as well
Attached Images

Gazza-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:12 AM   #17
Mag

Welcome to the forum rav8or, nice pics! We just had a ice storm here too. Here is a simalar pic. I was having problems getting the berries in focus, but over all i was pleased with the pic.

Mag
Attached Images

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:09 PM   #18

Gazza-NZ wrote:
Quote:
Do you get hoar frost from the fog as well
No, not last night, but we did on December 28th, three or four days before I got the FZ20. I missed a golden opportunity, and that's mostly what made me decide to buy the camera. My old digi just wasn't up to the task. I'm ready for the next one, though. Great Picture, about like our landscape was...

We did dodge the bullet, though. Started to snow right after dusk, stopping the freezing rain. So not much more accumulation of ice, and not much snow. 20 miles east of us, in Lafayette, they got much worse, and a LOT of people are still without power, and they expect to get it back tomorrow by noon. Ours blinked out and on all night, but no extended periods, and has been on all day.

Here's what the backyard looks like...

R
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:41 PM   #19

We had an ice storm last winter, on top of 7" of snow, so it was a big mess. We have some forest around us and it sounded like an artillery during the first night. I expected to see a lot of trees down, but found it was mostly limbs. Our neighbors on either side had trees down, one right outside the window where I am now. I miss it and all the creatures that used it.

I cut a couple of boards to the size of my feet and put nails through them and strapped them to my feet just so I could walk outside and take pictures. It was almost impossible to walk without something.
rbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:04 PM   #20

We didn't get it near as bad here but I still wanted to try my hand at some ice shots.

About my second week with the FZ20 so I was just trying to have some fun to see what I could get.
Attached Images

sprice is offline   Reply With Quote