Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:13 PM   #1

Just started here, first pics. We had one about 15 years ago, took me 9 hours to drive the 50 miles home. Hope this one isn't as bad!

They give the opportunity for some really GREAT pics, but 2 weeks without electricity, heat, etc, isn't quite worth it - but if it happens, it happens, and at least SOME good comes out of it...

R
Attached Images

rcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:20 PM   #2

Nice shot

We had one in the Netherlands, a long time ago (say some 30 years or so). Very destructive indeed :shock:
I hope it will deliver you some more great shots, and less of the bad stuff

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

really nice shot and welcome

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:49 PM   #4

Thanks, folks...just the start. I'm not happy with the picture, taken from the front porch, roof in the background, etc. Just wanted a starting "reference" point, before the really nasty stuff comes. The ice is already about twice as thick as that picture. More pics will follow...especially if I can figure out how to position myself better, without soaking the FZ20.

R
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:19 PM   #5

Another picture, still off the porch, still not here in full force - the worst is expected later this evening.

Edited - wrong picture!

R
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:20 PM   #6

Another picture, still off the porch, still not here in full force - the worst is expected later this evening.

R
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:00 PM   #7

And the privits...
Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:01 PM   #8

Forgive my ignorance - what's an ice storm? How come your trees are coated like that - how does that work then? /enquiring mind

Here in England we're so used to a temperate climate that everything grinds to a halt if we have an inch of snow.

kaiserb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:08 PM   #9

kaiserb_uk wrote:
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance - what's an ice storm? How come your trees are coated like that - how does that work then? /enquiring mind

Here in England we're so used to a temperate climate that everything grinds to a halt if we have an inch of snow.
I'm in the same situation!!! What exactly is "ice storm"??.

Here in Mexico I have NEVER seen something like that :shock:. We are at the tropic!!

It seems to be terrible be out there :cart:, but the shoots are great !!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:43 PM   #10

Well, what we have, is temperature right at freezing. We have a pretty good "drizzle" of rain, that is freezing once it gets on anything. And the more rain, the more it builds up and turns to serious ice. If it rains all night, we could have up to two inches of solid ice. But it looks as though we are going to miss that - latest news is that it's going to turn to snow - no pleasure in itself, but the snow just makes for difficult travel on top of the ice, but it doesn't have the destructive ability of just ice.

The biggest problems are the tree limbs, power and phone lines, and power and telephone poles. They get so heavy from an accumulation of ice, that the tree limbs snap (usually into cars, across the road, or take down power lines). The power lines and heavy steel support lines get so heavy, that they actually break the telephone poles. The last storm we had, we had an accumulation of almost two inches of ice. It was so bad, that it took out over 5 miles of telephone poles - one went down, then it drug down several miles on each side of it! We were without power for over two weeks. I was lucky, I had two generators, and gave one to my sister, so we had heat, but there were lot's of people without - all the local stores sold out of generators, and when more came in, they sold them right off the truck in minutes.

It's not fun, but like I said, I think the worst part will miss us, and be about 30 miles+ north of us. But, mother nature is fickle, and I won't believe it, until I (don't) see it.

Shucks, might have missed some great shots! It's really strange when you DO get an inch or better - EVERYthing above ground is just covered with ice - chain link fences are REALLY cool! It looks like something out of a "frozen wilderness science fiction" movie.

Will keep all posted...
Attached Images