Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:52 PM   #11

I'll second nooner's responses. I was able to get a Sunpack 422D on eBay for only 19.95. I guess it was cheaper as it was dedicated for a Ricoh. No matter. It works great with my FZ20. On a limited basis for sure, I was able to take 3 burst mode shots that came out great. Also, it is strong enough to bounce flash off a 12 foot ceiling!
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:02 PM   #12

Thanks,nooner.I got my 433D(ded to Canon) and it works great.The trigger voltage was 4.05 volts.As you said,no manual needed!All the controls are well marked.I'll start at f3.7 on the FZ20 and f4.0 on the flash and iso 100.Are you using iso 80 on the camera?
aVolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:12 PM   #13

Yeah I use ISO 80 but your mileage may vary. I would hook it up and try all kinds of settings and situations so you have an idea what to use before you start shooting. Memory is cheap and the delete button is at your command :arrow::arrow::arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:07 PM   #14

Hi

I have 433AF and I have some issues.
My setup is:
FZ20 is set to "Preset" mode (ISO100 F/s=2.8 S-1/60)
433AF: green level "A" ISO100 F/S=2

My pictures look dark.

What an I doing wrong?

Help?

Thanks

lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:29 PM   #15

Use aperture priority. Camera- flash manual. Experiment with flash output. Don't go by the flash presets. Shoot lots of test photos to determine what setup works and take note of it.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:40 PM   #16

I just went on ebay to find myself the Sunpak 383. Nobody had it for a super-low price. Somebody listed their Professional grade SLR film camera with that flash and I won the auction for $80. Not bad. Always good to have a film camera in the closet, and for $10 more than what I would have paid for the flash alone, I can't complain. Is there any deteriotion as a flash gets older? I have no idea how old that flash is, the camera is like late 80's.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:14 PM   #17

rduve...i was eyeing that pentax camera and sunpak 383 as well. But the age thing kept me away...lol. I am no expert but i figured everything has to wear out over time, I hope i am wrong for you benefit.

If the sunpak 422, 433 are the same as the 383...then why is everyone bent on buying the 383 for almost 3 times the price? please explain if its worth it, thanks

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:19 PM   #18

Could you give me an example of your settings. Please

Thanks

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Use aperture priority. Camera- flash manual. Experiment with flash output. Don't go by the flash presets. Shoot lots of test photos to determine what setup works and take note of it.
lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:53 PM   #19

I set my flash @ ISO 100, auto yellow zone, full power and bounce @ 45 or 60 deg. Camera aperture priority f3.3-3.7. Auto WB. Sometimes I use an Omni-Bounce if walls/ceilings are not white.

The 422/433 are indentical to the 383. They are dedicated so they have a couple of extra contacts. On the FZ20 they act the same. They have exactly the same controls, guide number etc. I think people don't realize they're the same so all they look for is the 383. They are much easier to find and are cheaper on ebay. BH carries them new also. If go up a few replies you'll see I already explained this. I don't know why people pay 3 times more, but if you want to head on:arrow:
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:16 PM   #20

thanks nooner

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote