Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:40 PM   #21

I already have 433AF for nikon. But I was trying to use auto green zone. That is why it did not work for me. I guess you had the same problem with green auto zone. I do get a good results when I use yellow auto zone with ISO 80 and f4.0.

So is it better to use ISO 80 or ISO 100?

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I set my flash @ ISO 100, auto yellow zone, full power and bounce @ 45 or 60 deg. Camera aperture priority f3.3-3.7. Auto WB. Sometimes I use an Omni-Bounce if walls/ceilings are not white.

The 422/433 are indentical to the 383. They are dedicated so they have a couple of extra contacts. On the FZ20 they act the same. They have exactly the same controls, guide number etc. I think people don't realize they're the same so all they look for is the 383. They are much easier to find and are cheaper on ebay. BH carries them new also. If go up a few replies you'll see I already explained this. I don't know why people pay 3 times more, but if you want to head on:arrow:
lepa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:45 PM   #22

Somebody mentioned being wary of secondhand flashes due to age, but didn't explain why.

I've had several fail in the dim distant past from age and lack of use.

For those who don't know, flash units operate by slowly charging one or more fairly big capacitors and discharging the lot at once.

Capacitors resemble batteries in many ways, including having a finite life -- they'll sulphate and corrode just like a battery and gradually lose capacity in the process, eventually failing altogether.

With improvements in design, materials and manufacture down the years, it's not the problem today that it was when I first started using electronic flash (won't tell you how long ago that was, let's just say I still remember flash powder...), but it still exists -- capacitors are still made good, bad & indifferent and manufacturers still cut corners.

Having said that, the inbuilt flash on my old Nikon SLR (circa 1988 ) still works, so maybe I'm crying wolf for nothing?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:59 PM   #23

Check out this link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:20 AM   #24

It was actually a Yashica. From the photos, the guy kept the camera and flash in very good shape. We'll see when it gets here....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:38 AM   #25

The Panasonic unit above is a waste of money. Use the Sunpak.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:12 AM   #26

I had a Vivitar 283 that I used with my Kodak DX6490 and my Nikon CP950. When I got my FZ20 I spent the money and bought the Vivitar 285HV with the zoom head. It's extremely verstile with its auto and vari-power settings. The vari-power lets you select the flash output level directly for constant light level out puts which really helps with macro shots. It also has a high guide number and the zoom head will let it reach way out there. I was taking pictures of the guys at the police academy going though OC spraytraining last week and took the attached photo from about 50 to 60ft at ISO80 F2.8 at night. I was very surprised by the reach on this flash. My dad reccomended it to me, he's had one for most of the 25 years he's been a photographer. My brother and I bought him a Nikon SB 800 to go on his new D70 for Christmas this year(Sweet Flash) I used my 283 with my Nikon CP950 for a long time using a slave sensor. it was OK but the on board flash still put harsh lighting on certain photos. I got a flash bracket and made reflector out of aluminum to bounce the light from the on board flash to the slave with effecting to picture. I like to hold the flash in my hand most of the time to get the best angles so I got a 3ft hot shoe cord and a diffuser helps alto also. The Vivitar 285HV cost me $120 and was worth every penny. If you look in a pro's bag there's a good chance they'll have one at the least as a backup

JaSoN S.:|
Attached Images

Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:59 PM   #27

Great shot for that distance. Did you do any PP on it? I have already ordered the Sunpak 383, so I am set for now.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:49 PM   #28

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic unit above is a waste of money. Use the Sunpak.
RedHouse, why isthe panasonic unita waste of money?

If you check outthe features is looks pretty good compared to the sunpak. It is more expensive, but I would say you get what you pay for.Then again, I also feel this way about the telephoto lens. More expensive, but better capabilities.

The flash has 4 settings;auto, auto macro, slave, and manual. Ithas2 sensors for determining the flash output in standard/manualormacro modes, anda photoreceptor for the slave setting.It also comes witha diffuser which attaches over the flash tube for close up (macro)recording. Thisstores above the flash tube when not in use.

I have been very pleased with the capabilities of this flash. I am also very pleased with the telephoto lens. I have taken pictures with each that are outstanding in my opinion. Panasonic accessories are better just like the FZ's are.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:37 PM   #29

Is there any difference in which dedicated flash..I am refering to 433d/422d as I've noticed where they are listed to suit eg....Minolta or Nikon...which do I get for the FZ 20....or doesn't it matter. These things are $250 to 375 in Aussie land.

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:42 PM   #30

Doesn't matter. The FZ " sees" all the same.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote