Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:34 PM   #31

The one difference is that it will do burst flash.. the others will not..

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:33 AM   #32

Just tested a Sunpak 2000 BZ Thyristor of indeterminate age on the FZ20 -- worked fine (tested the trigger voltage first, of course -- 6.8V with NiMH batteries.)

Picked it up on Ebay for $Aus2.70.

Doesn't have much in the way of fancy features, but for a hamfisted clot like me that's probably a plus.

Have a couple of other cheapies coming in which I'll check when they get here.

Here's the first shot taken with it on what passes for a workbench at Chez Idle -- certainly proves I need to do some cleaning up around here...
Attached Images

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:37 PM   #33

Hazzarbone wrote:
Quote:
Is there any difference in which dedicated flash..I am refering to 433d/422d as I've noticed where they are listed to suit eg....Minolta or Nikon...which do I get for the FZ 20....or doesn't it matter. These things are $250 to 375 in Aussie land.

Hazz
Dedicated flashes have a number of pins in addition to the Universal center pin on all hot shoes.. They are there to gather and feedback info from and to the camera based on the camera settings.. Some cameras have TTL capability meaning the camera will adjust the flash output as needed. Of course the FZ has no such capability, only a hot shoe so you are still left with setting the flash on your own. All the camera is going to do is Fire the flash. I think the only exception to this universal rule is Minolta, which uses it's Own dedicated flash shoe and an adapter is required to use a Non minolta flash.. That was one of the things that kept me from buying an A2. This may not be true of older Minolta units but if considering one, you'll want to check it out.

The point is, as long as the flash does not exceed the voltage requirements, it should work but you'll have to do some experimenting with it to find your settings. True with ANY non-TTL camera..

The risk you are taking with buying a used unit is as someone else stated, over time, they can degrade. The capacitor(s) that fires the flash tube holds a VERY high voltage and can actually make your hair stand on end while causing parts of your body to clich up... What you'll want to do is put in fresh batteries and check the time it takes to go to ready mode. If it takes a long time, the charging circuit is most likely worn and you'll be waiting seconds, or even minutes between shots. The other potential problem is that the flash tubes can burn out..

I bring these things up because I believe that an educated buyer is a happy buyer..

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:41 PM   #34

Thanks for the info jsiladi.

I'm still waiting for the Sunpak 383 to become available but you have cleared up a few lingering questions I had.

Thanks again.
Jaynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:53 AM   #35

Check for Sunpak 433's on ebay. I just bought one for $30, practically new.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:05 AM   #36

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Check for Sunpak 433's on ebay. I just bought one for $30, practically new.
Good purchase, well done.

There have been some great deals on ebay for both 422's and 433's but unfortunatly none of the sellers would ship overseas.

The strangest thing I've noticed is the price some bidders are willing to pay for used sunpak 383's. Greater than new prices.

I'll be patient and wait for new stocks at B&H.
Jaynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:23 AM   #37

If any of you decides to buy a Sunpak 422D from eBay my offer here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23still stands.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:17 PM   #38

Does anybody know if the Sunpak 444 works like the 433 and 422?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:48 PM   #39

I got fz20 a week ago. Newbee with a flash, I have been reading all the messages in this topic.

What would be the best flash as none would be automatic with the fz20.

Looks like people like the sunpak ... Why ?

Someone said Nikon flash would be good... but why pay for all the automatic gadgets if I cant use them on my fz20 ?

What is Autofucus for a flash ?what is a zoom for a flash ?

Thanks to the experts for this is a great forum

Guy

acatron.net
coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:24 PM   #40

coutancineau, The Sunpak flashes work well because they are powerful, relatively inexpensive and all of them can be used in non-dedicated mode. The AF function means you can set the flash at zoom when you zoom in with your camera. The flash will be more powerful and reach further, but at a narrower angle when in zoom mode. THere is also a zoom adapter called the Sunpak Tele Kit TL-6 if you don't buy the AF version but, let's say the 433D.

Here is a question I have: I just got a Sunpak 433D from ebay, dedicated for Minolta cameras. It has a little A/B switch at the bottom. Does anybody know what that's for?