Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:55 AM   #41

Does anyone know if the Minolta Auto Electroflash 320X will work with the FX20?
I have one that I've used forever with my Minolta and would like to continue using it with my new FX20. It is like the one here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Thanks for any help.

New FX20 user...
BowtieZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:08 PM   #42

BowtieZ28 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Minolta Auto Electroflash 320X will work with the FX20?
I have one that I've used forever with my Minolta and would like to continue using it with my new FX20. It is like the one here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Thanks for any help.

New FX20 user...
You need to find one with a trigger voltage under 24 volts, and according to this http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.htmlthat Minolta qualifies.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:38 PM   #43

Thanks for that info.
Have you found the info pretty reliable on that site?

Bowtie
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:01 AM   #44

You can buy a Wein safe sync which slides into the hotshoe and any flash will slide into the top of it, and it reduces the voltage so it is safe for any digital camera. It is called: Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync (hshsbd). Here's wein's website:

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

Let me also take the time to bash Panasonic for not making a TTL flash and having the sheer audacity for making a flash that they put their name on charge a fortune for and having be an auto only flash. It is a hunk of cheap plastic (which I own, btw). And I also have an Olympus C-770 and the external flash for that which is almost identical to the Panasonic (the olympus is called the FL-20 and the Panasonic the FL28). It is obviously made by the same company. But the main difference, besides the fact that the Olympus is TTL, is that the Panasonic external flash doesn't look as good asits built in flash (the color saturation is much better with the built in flash). The Olympus external flash enhances the image (and so it should, otherwise, why should we buy a flash, only b/c it can shoot at farther distances???? I think not!!!!).

I have the Sunpack 383 (as well) and it is a very good flash, but you have to be on top of it when you shoot. I mean if you shoot at close distances, you have to let less light into the camera otherwise you will over expose. If you shoot subjects far away, you have to open up the aperture, otherwise it will be too dark. And shooting pro slr equip in the past, you could just rotate the aperture dial very quickly if you had a manual/auto-non ttl flash. With the Panasonic you have to push the exposure button to activate the aperture, and then move the aperture using the joystick type thingee. It takes time. And in my specialty, candid photography, it just takes too long. So what do I do? I use the built in flash, and make sure to be close enough (what is it 12-16 feet at ISO100?). So after spending an arm and a leg on the Panasonic flash, not being satisfied and getting the Sunpack (a very good flash in it's own right!), the two collect dust, for the most part and I use something that came with my original purchase (the camera itself).

I really hope Panasonic keeps an eye on this forum and resolves the minor issues/problems that the FZ20 camera has and corrects it for its next model (like the focusing to mention one, and the fact that in the manual mode the camera is stuck in an aperture preview, you should be able to toggle btw the two). I love the camera, more than any other camera, but like a relationship with a loved one, there are certain things that drive me mad and make me want to pull out my hair (and buy a vibrator!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:07 AM   #45

Gabby, I just got a Sunpak auto 30 DX which is a 383.

Yes you are right about needing several button presses to adjust the CAMERA to correct for an over or underexposed pic.....But don´t forget that there is a quick and dirty one button fix to do the same thing... (almost)

Just flip the switch on the FLASH to red or green or yellow.
(For others reading this thread, I´ll explain further)..

If you decide that you want to set the cam to Aperature 2.8 then you put the flash on the green setting. If the pic didn´t get enough light, switch it up to the next color which is yellow, and once more if there STILL wasn´t enough light.

If you think you might want quick control to Lessen the flash start the whole process by setting cam to f8 and start by having the flash in the red position. THIS way you can quickly turn the flash down one notch to yellow or 2 notches to green if there STILL was too much light.

I agree with you that Quickness in adjusting is the key. going into menus is a drag. If you haven´t tried this way of adjusting, TRY IT! Ignore the iso switch on the flash (it actually only change the numbers you see on the chart)
Treat the thing like an analog thing and less like a digital thing and maybe it could bring back a feeling of creativity instead of feeling like a straight jacket.

Coincidentally there was probably a reason that the flash gives more light when you move the switch UP from green to yellow and red. You don´t have to think much.... The brain says "that pic I just took needed more light" so you flick the switch UP. Down gives less light. It has a natural feel. Multiple button presses to get to a menu doesn´t ever FEEL like anything ....except a hassle!
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:19 AM   #46

Has anyone heard when the Sunpak 383 will be available again?

I want to order a Nikon 6t a ND filter and the 383 from B&H but want all the items sent as one order because the postage to Australia is about $26.00.

The 383 is the least important of the items but I'm becoming desperate for the Nikn 6t and don't want to place an order for the two available items only to find the 383 hit the shelves the day after I place my order.

Thanks.
Jaynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:08 AM   #47

Thanks Gabby for the link. Going to check that out.
May be worth the purchase to be safe.

Bowtie
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:01 AM   #48

no prob, bowtie, but I think someone posted a chart which tells you how much voltage your flash can handle, if you can find it. I like the wein b/c it also has a pc sync and that is how I hook my FZ20 to my strobes.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:16 AM   #49

Will the Sunpak auto 433AF thyristor built for canon autofocus cameras work with the FZ20?
shaun_nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:17 PM   #50

It will work just like the Sunpak 383 or the 433D. I don't think the auto focus part will work with the FZ20.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote