Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:31 PM   #11

You nailed it Nick. Makes for geat reading and also more excellent links.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:51 PM   #12

having some background in film does make for more realistic expectations, i think. a lot of people who've never had film SLRs expect digicams to be 'miracle workers', when they're actually even more a matter of compromise than a film camera is. and working with film gives one a fundamental understanding of shutter speeds, apertures (you can actually see the lens stop down...) and focusing that is too often lacking in the 'point-n-shoot' digital world.

my FZ is my 3rd digital camera. my first was a DMC-LC33 which i got for a great price on ebay as a way to try this whole digital thing. i was impressed, so when i had the chance to move up to a 4MP model (DMC-LC43) for the killer price of $115, i jumped on it, and sold the LC33 to my ex. after using the compacts for a while, though, i began lusting for more zoom power, and the FZ just seemed a natural choice. i have not regretted it. with the possible exception of pan shots, the FZ will do anything my old Pentax would do, and better.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:51 AM   #13

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the noise i can minimize with low ISO settings and proper exposure and lighting, but there ain't no substitute for that 12x zoom! so far, noise from the sensor, even in night shots like the ones i posted here of the Space Needle, is no worse than the film grain i used to get with ASA200 film in my Pentax ME Super, and i never found that to be a problem. and i guarantee you, all the zoom lenses in my Pentax bag couldn't do what the one on the FZ20 can...
Agree 100%. This is my first digital, and I come from the 100% manual (shutter, focus, everything) film SLR world too. I really think you need to have some film SLR experience to appreciate this camera line. And - likewise, what's all the fuss about the noise? You can get rid of most of it in post and as you point out, grain never bothered me in film. As long as I have a measure of control - which I do, various shooting situations pose photographic problems to solve. Solving those problems is a big part of the fun. I'm not sure I would really want the "perfect" camera if you know what I mean.
I agree..
I come from film a background Mamiya 6 x 6 cm TLR minolta SRT102 35mm SLR.
FZ1 is pretty impressive initially seems like you have no control ... but with flash upgrade to FZ2 more control ... in the main the camera left to its own devices works well.
The 12X zoom of course is wonderfull.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:59 AM   #14

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i found the following searching for some clarification to this question:

"There seems to be much confusion amongst the public at large about the image sensors used in digital cameras. The figures the makers quote are basically meaningless unless you are "in the know" about what they mean when they say "it has a 1/1.8 inch sensor". The example of 1/1.8 inch type of measurement relates to a standard used starting in the 1950s about Vidicon tubes used in TV cameras. That example of 1/1.8" works out to 0.5555 inches (1 divided by 1.8 is what it means) and that is the diameter of the original glass Vidicon tube that had an image size similar to the image size in the digital camera they are talking about."

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/photo/sensors1.html

so apparently, the sensor size in the FZ20's IS "1 divided by 2.5", or .4"...
Great link ...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-)))))
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote