Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

hello all, i've been reading this forum for a couple weeks and yesterday I finally got my FZ20...

I'm upgrading from a Canon S330 which uses filenames such as 189-8980_IMG.jpg

FZ20 seems to be using the same format, P1010001.jpg

While I think it's too early for me to want firmware upgrades to have the filenames recorded as P101-0001.jpg, I have another question.

Is SD Viewer for DSC the best software to use with FZ20? I may not be entirely familiar with it, but so far I don't like how it changes the picture names to 05102514.jpg (if "sort by month" is checked) or IM0000001.jpg (if "sort by month" isn't checked) and I haven't found how to change the settings. I would at least prefer for my pictures to stay as P1010001.jpg, and the only way to do that right now is to manually go into the card and copy them into my pictures folder.

I may get a card reader in the future, but I like using software that lets me preview images on the card before I download them.
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:04 PM   #2

I think this might be a slow thread, as I don't think enough folks use the supplied Panasonic software for image viewing. I'm currently using infranview (freeware) because it supports jpeg2000 and has a jpeg2000 batch conversion mode. Jpeg 2000 is my preferred image file format though it's not widely supported. Another very popular viewer is ACDsee (think that's around $50), I've used that in the past.

I'm not especially particular as to file naming conventions but thought I might throw it out there as to why this thread might lack replies...

It's not that we weren't helpful or ignoring you : )
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

http://www.batchimage.com/product/batchit/index.html

It handles file name changes and image resize. Batch it or do it one by one.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:07 PM   #4

If you uncheck both options In SD Viewer it will default to recording as P1000543 etc,.
Hope this helps.
Gazza-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:41 PM   #5

wow, irfanview is a pretty awesome program and it does batching too. thanks, nick!
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote