Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:20 PM   #11

Nick here is a link to leica fotografie.
some pdf d/l's of issues
#2 shot is also wonderfull.
Do more like this and post them .... ;-)'s's
http://www.lfi-online.com/serv/abo_single.php
d/l's are index only
you need to subsribe or buy back issues.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:31 PM   #12

Thanks Smac! Thanks for the link Boyzo! I'll check it out. Much obliged, M8T!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:36 PM   #13

Hey Nick. Thanks for link. I realized I had virtual photographer already, I just haven't played with it so here goes:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:57 PM   #14
Fox

Nick, those pictures look like they belong in one of those high priced magazines. SPECTACULAR!

Nooner, that's a great pic too!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:46 AM   #15

Wonderful shots Nick, all of them. Especially #2 and 5# (the girl) are excellent, IMO
Thanks for sharing.

Basac,
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:40 AM   #16

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Hey Nick. Thanks for link. I realized I had virtual photographer already, I just haven't played with it
Virtual photographer is probably the best "freebie" I found for Photoshop. Although it doesn't let you replicate certain film-stocks it's like a utility knife. This is an extremely nice architectual photo, which bw just lends itself to.

The good thing about doing the B&W in post is that you always have the color original. You can always take the color out - but you can never put it back, like when you do it in-camera.

Foz wrote:
Quote:
Nick, those pictures look like they belong in one of those high priced magazines. SPECTACULAR!
Thank you, sir! You're too kind. Lot's of folks seem to be posting that they can't get good indoor shots from their FZ's lately, so I thought I might post a few that I thought were okay. Plus I wanted to throw in a change of pace and have actual people as subjects. Really, bottom like with regard to people indoors is LIGHT - having some really helps! Dark rooms, in-camera flash, at night? You'll capture the moment, but don't expect any gallery pieces! :G And that's true, generally, regardless of the camera.

Basac wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shots Nick, all of them. Especially #2 and 5# (the girl) are excellent
Thank you, sir! Always a pleasure hearing from my fellow teacher and photographer friend in Vietnam! Number 5 is my daughter, number 2's a friend of my son. Stay well, and tell your class Nick says Hi : )
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:04 AM   #17
Mag

Excellent job here Nick all of them, I especialy like # 2 very well done!

nooner I like your shot alot too!

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:16 AM   #18

Thanks for giving a look, Mag. Here's one last B&W of my FZ-1 doing double-duty as a "Leica M5 Rangefinder" loaded with (fake) Agfa Pan film stock :G

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:20 AM   #19
Mag

Another fine shot nick, what exactly is meant by range finder anyway?
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:45 AM   #20

Mag wrote:
Quote:
what exactly is meant by range finder anyway?
Leica (the "alleged" manufacturer of the lens on the Lumix) is a German camera co that goes back 80 years(?). Anyway, they invented 35 mm cameras, and specifically the "rangefinder".

Before SLR (single lens reflex) cameras, Leica (and others) made "rangefinders". The Leica rangefinders - then and now, are considered by many to be among the finest cameras ever made. Initially they were esentially hand made cameras by highly skilled master technicians. They're called rangefinders because - unlike SLRs, you do not "see through the lens" but instead use a seperate viewer to focus and compose the image. You don't see through the lens but some think images are a bit crisper because you don't get "mirror slap" when you take a picture (caused by the mirror used to deflect the image into the viewfinder being moved out of the way to expose the film) of the SLR that can cause a minute amount of motion blur, they're quieter, and more compact. Leica seldom changes designs (perhaps 1/2 dozen times or so in their history) of their "M-series" rangefinders and when they do it's rather an event in photographic circles. Here's a stock picture from B&H Photo sit of the latest Leica rangefinder, the M7 that came out a couple years(?) ago.

The street price for this beauty -> without a lens <- body only? Around $2800. And for a true Leica lens for with to take pictures? Around $1700 street. So a Leica rangefinder set-up (with lens) 'ill setchya back about $4500 :?

That's why - although they're very fine digitals, with excellent optics - and I wouldn't part with my FZ-1, I consider it a bit of a joke that a digital camera - body and lens, that goes for $250 to $550 street would have "real" Leica lenses. :G