Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:51 AM   #21

...AND that said, and I hope this doesn't sound obnoxious, I could take almost any one of these pics posted here, print them out on an HP 7660... and I would defy ->experts<- (let alone your average camera snob) to distinguish the difference between the quality of one of these taken with my $250 FZ-1, or a $4500 Leica M7 rangefinder any any print up to an 8X10 size or so. G

You could really have a lot of fun with camera snobs, (and wine snobs too!) :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:46 PM   #22

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
That's why - although they're very fine digitals, with excellent optics - and I wouldn't part with my FZ-1, I consider it a bit of a joke that a digital camera - body and lens, that goes for $250 to $550 street would have "real" Leica lenses. :G
That's why if you take away our "leica" lenses the camera itself would run about $50.

Great photos btw, I love the emotional aspect that b&w adds to a picture, especially with human subjects.
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:10 PM   #23

petersky wrote:
Quote:
Great photos btw, I love the emotional aspect that b&w adds to a picture, especially with human subjects.
Thank you! I truly think that the reason why - in cinema, that the international icons - Bogart, Dean, Monroe... etc. starred in mostly B&W films. It's far more expressive than color, and retaining color information is information overload for our little brainz. :G
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:24 PM   #24

Mag wrote:
Quote:
Another fine shot nick, what exactly is meant by range finder anyway?
Mag,

To expand a little on Nick's explanation of what a rangefinder camera is, take a look at the picture of the camera that he posted. On the right of the picture, you can see the viewfinder. To its left, above the lens is the flash (I think). To its left is a smaller, squarish window. That is part of the split image rangefinder system. When you look through the viewfinder, you will see a smaller square image in the center, which is the view through that smaller window. You turn the focusing ring on the lens until the small image in the little square aligns with the larger image in the entire viewfinder. When they are perfectly aligned, the camera will be focused on whatever is in that smaller square. It's a great system that ensures that the focus will come out right. If your subject isn't in the center of the viewfinder, you just move the camera until the little square is on your main subject, focus, and then recompose the shot if necessary. I first used this system on an old Argus C-3 about 40-45 years ago, and it was a pretty foolproof way to insure great focusing. I hope this explanation wasn't too confusing.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:51 AM   #25

Most expressive, esp. #1. As always, great shots and infomation Nick. Ok, now I have to go play in B&W (and buy a photo black HP printer darn it), thanks for the inspiration...
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:14 PM   #26

wiseman wrote:
Quote:
Most expressive, esp. #1. As always, great shots and infomation Nick. Ok, now I have to go play in B&W (and buy a photo black HP printer darn it), thanks for the inspiration...
Why thank you sir! Glad you liked the photos and I appreciate the feedback. When you do the B&W post some! I recommend doing this in post but in-camera works well too. As far as the HP printer I'm right there with you... they're really supposed to producs "stunning" black and whites (wish I knew that before I bought my Epson...) But not ALL HP's have the "swap out" gray tank... the 7660 is one, and there is one or two other HPs, so do some homework first! I'll be right behind you in line, so to speak.

My current shopping list consists of an HP 7660 printer, an external hard drive, and a Raynox wide angle converter lens. Once you're hooked the "fun" ($$$) never ends, does it? :G
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:21 PM   #27

Nick,

As allways... Love your shots, and look forward to them in fact.

You have a very nice looking family. How do you get them to pose for you? My family is so sick of me taking pics, they run when they see me comming with the camera...:G

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:32 PM   #28

bobc wrote:
Quote:
How do you get them to pose for you? My family is so sick of me taking pics, they run when they see me comming with the camera...
Thanks, M8t -

Most of these are candids, so they didn't get a chance to run. Most were taken at my pop's (the bald guy...) place down the shore. I try to do candids, kinda sneak up on them ya know? The first one my daughter caught me last moment, that's an annoyed look she's giving me. I get the same reaction on posed shots (...everybody say cheese!) as you do.

Kids are great to shoot candids.... they get to playing and block out the real world, and get lost in that wonderful imaginary place that vanishes forever after a certain age. You can shoot a thousand of them if you don't use a flash and they're barely aware... Most will be duds but every once in a while you get an absolute gem.

I call it the "shooting ratio". In the film world, most films are shot at an 8:1 shooting ratio... that is, for every eight feet of film shot for a movie, one foot makes it into the film. So, 16 hours of film is shot and processed for a film, 14 of those hours end up on the cutting room floor, 2 hours end up in the film. About the same applies to candid photography. Digital gives you the capability for a limitless "shooting ratio" (film doesn't) might as well take advantage of it!

Nick
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:30 PM   #29

Just wanted to chime in and complement you on your b&ws, Nick, really great. I actually just set up my darkroom to shoot b&w headshots. I think I will get a Pentax 67, too. I am going to get the EOS 20D and shoot in RAW format, and I wanna play w/that imaging factory plug in. If I can't get the professional results I need (for the commercial work - if people are paying me, I have to give them what they pay for) I will shoot with the Pentax. I also will price accordingly so I will offer digital work for less money - who wants to handle chemicals and spend time in the dark? Of course, for the right price I will do it. Once again, you have been an inspiration to me. I am working on scanning some of my old prints from art school and then will work on my website, as soon as it is up, I want you guys to tell me what you think. Great work, Nick. Keep posting the pics (it's my favorite part of the forum- next to you guys!).
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:28 AM   #30
Mag

Nick - thanks alot for your explanation and history on Leica rangefinder, thats very interesting indeed, very expensive but very interesting!

propwash - thank you for your your explanation on the focus system of rangefinders, that sounds like a lot of fun to use and very efective, i would like to experiance that someday.
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote