Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:47 AM   #1
Mag

The hot spots bug me here but i still like, Would a external flash from hot shoe help here? Bounced maybe?
Attached Images

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:48 AM   #2
Mag

Another
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:49 AM   #3
Mag

Closeup on cork
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

very nice. did you try reducing the flash output? perhaps setting the flash EV a bitlower would reduce the hot spots and eliminate the harshness you're worried about...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

by the way, nice work with the background. it really makes the still life stand out... what did you use to achieve that even, light blue?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:38 PM   #6

Mag for the first pic, like squirl033 said, you can reduce the flash EV. Or you can place a piece of translucent plastice bag in front of the flash. Or you can try setting longer shutter speed with various F stops and with more lighting in your house or the place you took this pic. As for the 2nd & 3rd pics, they are quite good.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:13 PM   #7

Mag..nice shots and no 2 looks great...i haven't gotten a ext flash yet but the folks in that do have 1 ...mostly bounce the flash with great results some where in here there was talk about using a rubberband to fully pullback the flash hood on the camera and use a index card to bounce the flash......
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:25 PM   #8

Mag wrote:
Quote:
The hot spots bug me here
They don't distract. Besides, easily removed in post. Nice still life... fun, romance, and intimacy with your significant other. This series tells a story.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:27 PM   #9
Mag

thanx alot for your input squirl and spiderman. I did try various flash settings and even defusing the flash with a sheer curtain. Never did get it as i would like tho. I took this pic in the middle of the night so the natural lighting in my apt was non existant. I think that if i took it in the middle of day I may of been able to get the results i wanted without using flash, just because of the extra and natural light. I had a couple flourescent lights set up whitch was defused behind sheer curtain, I need to build a frame for it it is very make shift and a pain at the moment trying to drape the curtain right. But the problem was the roses were to dark for my taste without flash because my lights were set up above and to the side, the roses needed light coming from front to reach inside petals.Maybe backing up farther away and zooming so flash wasnt so close would help.

The blue background is a sheet ofposterboard, i think i paid 58 cents for it at walmart. I like posterboard its nice and flexible and cheap and comes in many colors altho walmart doesnt cary many colors. Its flexble enuff where you can use the same sheet for floorand backgrounds as i did by running it up a wall or support as i did in these photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:30 PM   #10
Mag

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
Mag..nice shots and no 2 looks great...i haven't gotten a ext flash yet but the folks in that do have 1 ...mostly bounce the flash with great results some where in here there was talk about using a rubberband to fully pullback the flash hood on the camera and use a index card to bounce the flash......
Thanx willow, i think ill put a flash on my wishlist!