Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:20 PM   #71

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
As I stated in my initial reply to Bob's request
Fred -

My bad, I should have more carefully read your initial reply... I think I missed it and took your subsequent post(s) out of context. You make a good point!

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:29 PM   #72

what's the definition of altering?

i used to be against editing pictures but with my last camera i have increasingly explored the auto color balance + light levels territory.

and now i find that FZ20 pics sharpen up really well and i'm thinking... a good picture is a good picture, but if it can be made better by fixing color balance or removing some fuzz... even better. why should a nicely composed picture be worsened by screwed up colors or some haze that can be cleaned up?

the only thing i am still reluctant to do, is cropping. for some reason it doesn't appeal to me. but i have a feeling that with FZ20's capabilities & resolution i will give in sooner or later.

i think there's photography and then there's phography art. photography is about composing your shots and photographing things that create an emotional response. photography art is about enchancing pictures or cropping out specific subjects for the same purpose of an emotional response.

digital editing indeed does NOT make you a great photographer but it helps the amazing pictures you take to be as close to perfect as they can be. the only thing about editing is when someone sees a heavily photoshopped picture and says "wow, you're a great photographer". that isn't right, in my opinion.

$0.02
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:44 PM   #73

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
You still have to style it with gel or mousse or whatever...
Or a good thick hocker! "Nature's mousse" I call it - works the best and it's free!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:15 PM   #74

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Or a good thick hocker! "Nature's mousse" I call it - works the best and it's free!
And it's edible...:-)

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:34 PM   #75

Quote:
BTW... If M + 8 already equals M-Eight... Why do you guys put the extra t on the end (M8t)? That is a waste of a perfectly good t...:G
Ahh Bob matey me mate, now ya get it matey. :-)

I still honestly think that if some have a problem with shots being edited or post processed they should really email Panasonic USA or whatever and to ask them,to please tell the printing companies that print their work in brochures etc, to not alter the shots in any way they use them.

To me, thats where this should be aimed. Panasonic does their best to make the images we see,look good enough so that we buy the cameras. Not trying to get at anyone and this is a very interesting thread, but surely Panasonic needs to abide by the same ideas in that case.

If we are to be a certain word I can't stand "Purist" then we should all be shooting on large format film cameras. We are not, we are small digital camera users. Theres that word again "Digital".

Fred,you already know this part M8t :-), when I was looking at the FZ10, I went to Dpereview and in the Panasonic forum I asked to see macro shots, I wanted to see what the camera was capable of out of the box. Not once did I ask if an image was post processed, the reason, I don't really care if it was or not. Not one of them said "This is right out of the box with no work done".

Thats the whole point Fred. I didn't care if they were altered or not and not one that replied offered that info. :-)So I got the FZ10 from what I saw was the capabilities of what I saw. I already know what I'm going to do to the shots anyway.

So where does that leaves us. It left me getting the FZ10 with not seeing a shot out of the box and untouched. Not one full sized image without something being done to it.

Now to specify what EXACTLY has beendone to a shot, made no difference in my purchase, it didn't even come into it, it was not even mentioned. Interesting huh :-)

Phew this is getting a bit carried away IMHO, you will not be getting me specifying exactly what was done to a shot, there is no need IMO. I don't ask others and to be honest, I don't really care. Its the final image I care about.

All the best and like I said, I'm not getting at anyone. I just love photography and howwe all see.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:36 PM   #76

I use axle grease for my fine quality presentations:!::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:52 PM   #77

Hi All,

First time poster, longtime lurker. I'm deciding whether to get a Z20 or Cp8800 and I've been reading both forums trying to get a accuate depicition of what these cameras do. I've noticed the Panasonic produces clear images, but they look darkish. Now is it a theme for people to brighten and adjust contrast PP with this camera? I've noticed the 8800 seems to display brighter pictures with pretty good sharpness. Sorry, I'm unbiased either way till I acually pick a camera and start using it. Unfortunately it's hard to get a loan camera for a day and use it to find out how well it really is. That's why I read forums. Thanks so much for being honest first and foremost and also for your great photos, PP or not.
Chris
CanukdownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:29 PM   #78

Yeah Chris, it depends allot on the conditions and how people have it setup. Outside in good conditons its just fine. On darker days is just fine. It does depend on how it all comes together. There will be many conditions with the 8800 that will be exactly the same.

It really does depend on how and who is behind it. Same as any camera and system really. Film or digital, I've seen and taken many junk photos and good photos. IMHO, its neverbeen the cameras that are at fault....its me.

All the best Chris and BTW, I would have a hard decision between the 8800 and FZ20. I can imagine thats a tough call to make. I want both :-)

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote