Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

I will have soon My Camera Panasonic FZ20 What worry me how cold can i take my camera out in the Winter . with the SLR there was not much problem but with all the electronic gadget it might block it and i will have problem could anyone tell me how you use your Camera FZ20 in the cold thanks
evelyne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2

google.com -> 'fz20 operating temperature'

Min operating temperature 32 °F

Max operating temperature 104 °F

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...-30980683.html
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Fox

Hi evelyne62, Seems to me that this was a topic a little while back. Try the search box up top and see what you come up with. I can tell you this, I took my FZ15 out in -6F and had no trouble. I was out about 30 min or so. The battery life is shorter and you have to be REAL careful when taking it back inside. Some people put it in a Ziploc bag when bring it back inside to keep it from having condensation on the camera. Sometimes I would wrap a scarf around the camera to try and keep it a little warmer. I don't know if it made a difference or not.

I'm not saying that I recommend that you take the camera out in that kind of cold, I'm just telling you what I did and Ididn't seem to have a problem.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4

I guess that it's possible to operate the camera outside of the recommended limits. But can be risky.

I'd go with the plastic zip-lock bag idea as mentioned (where you put the camera into the plastic bag whenever you put the camera into your carry bag, or take it out of your carry bag.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:48 PM   #5

That is about 0 celcius that is not bad i want to thank you for the info also i checked the info on search for cold weather . The idea to put your camera in a ziplog bag is a very good idea i never thought when i used the SLR . could have used it then . I am look forward to get my Camera soon thank you all for the info until next time :?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:53 AM   #6

G'day everlyn 62, I honestly would have thought that a 'ziplock' bag would eventualy gather condensation, I would have have presumed something wrapped in wool would then be able to retain the warmth. My thoughts only, as here in Aussie-land ziplock is a plastic-type bag for storing veges in.

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:21 AM   #7

G'day emsox, absolutley great shopt, but is there any chance you can reduce the size of that photo, you would need a 50 inch screen to see it all.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:20 AM   #8

The idea of the air-tight plastic bag is to prevent extra moisture (in the air) from condensing inside your camera.

Once you're outside in the cold, it's probably not too good to bring your camera into a warm place as it is. When you're in a very cold place, it's advantageous to put the camera into the plastic bag before taking the camera back into a warm place. This stops 'excessive' moisture in the air from condensing inside the camera, which could potentially do something bad to the electronics. If you let the camera warm up very slowly, then this also helps to prevent moisture build up.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:00 PM   #9

evelyne62

Check out the thread "Lake Superior at 14 Degrees Below Zero" Some hints there as well.
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:32 AM   #10

The photo looks great one question i woul like to ask did you take the photo auto or Manuel ? :?