Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:30 AM   #1

Hi;

Set up the tripod in the backyard, took the most sensitive setttings I could get, and nailed the comet; If U want to catch it be quick; you won't get a 2nd chance; It's orbital period is 120 thousand years :GIt's just next to the pleiaden (the bunch of stars visible in the left of the pic). Motionblur caused by the rotation of the earth.

8 sec. F/2.8 ISO400 432mm (35mm equiv.)

I have boosted the midtones to 1,50and reduced the shadows to 5. Noise reduced; no cropping done. Additional info can be found on http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...lz_041207.html

GB
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:41 AM   #2

Greenbaron,

Outstanding photo. I have a cousin who is an avid astrophotographer so I can appreciate your work. I would post some scans of his work but am reluctant since its not really the scope of this forum. Very nice!

Best regards,

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3

Nice work...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:33 AM   #4

Ahhhh hope this doesn't sound to dumb but I still don't know which is the comet. I love pictures of the night sky and plan to get some myself.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:43 AM   #5

wow, how cool is that...
wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:17 PM   #6

Greenbaron,
Thanks for the heads up location. I shot a bunch of pictures of Hale-Bopp when it flew by a few years ago. And I just bought a 1.25" eyepiece lens that I can attach to my Nikon cp4500 and couple that to my telescope. I will definitely go out and take a look. Providing the stupid clouds cooperate.

Your picture is not bad for subject that is 32 million miles distant.

Good job,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:44 PM   #7

Astrophotography is very difficult (at least to me...) This came our great, but I bet you wish you had a bulb setting, like I sometimes do. The motion blur surprised me, didn't think you would get something like that caused by the earth's rotation at 8 seconds.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:24 AM   #8

Hi,

there was bad weather in our area in last days and I have done my pics of comet yesterday evening after all.

It was quite difficult to do that. Every tripod has own limitation and you see nothing on display to boot.
Attached Images

fana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:24 AM   #9

Yes... Hale-Bopp... Wish I was already into photograpy by that time; Gosh that one was spectacular; A beer for everyone by the time we get similar one :GI hoped this one would have a visible tail.

The comet is the hazy spot in the right of the picture

The long zoomrange of the fz can be blamed for the blur; The more you zoom in; the more blur you get.I think in this case even more lightsensitive values would do better; like a higher iso.At the 12x max of the fz20, a max shutter of 1 sec. ensures non-blurred stars... A bulb setting could also be usefull; But that would than also require an aid to be able to move exactly along with the stars or comet. (thesethings excist, but I have no clue of what they cost)

Fana; great to see you got a shot of it too; Also very nice to see it moved some further in relation to the stars I found manual focus a better job for these pics. If you zoom to tele-max, prefocus on something far away, and aimat a brighter star, you should be able to see it clearly on the display. (for sure in a half automated mode, with exposure compensation set to max).

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:01 PM   #10

jer1ivp wrote:
Quote:
Ahhhh hope this doesn't sound to dumb but I still don't know which is the comet. I love pictures of the night sky and plan to get some myself.
It's the green thing that looks like a bunch of hotpixels clustered together.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote