Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:14 AM   #21

And one more thing. Was there any add on lens, tele? macro?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:15 PM   #22
Fox

Hi wise, I'll tell you what I can, but I really don't consider myself having much wisdom on this subject. I'm not sure if I even qualify as a novice. I do a lot of reading on the net about photography and look at other people's pictures, then try and apply it to myself when shooting my pictures. It is my understanding that the higher your aperture, the deeper your depth of field (sharper background) will be. Lower f number softer background. (f 4.0 will give you a deeper DOF than say f 2.8.) At the same time you will be getting less light on your higher aperture settings and that is when the shutter speed comes into play… Like I said, I really don't consider myself wise on this subject. It's hard enough for me to convey this stuff to my 12 year old. My hat goes off to the real teachers. It's a true talent to be able to teach another.
As for what makes these pictures what they are, well, a lot of the credit has to go to the camera. Elizabeth shoots in P mode most of the time now. Both of us are still learning.

None of the pictures were taken with a tripod. One of the biggest problems for me when I first started using my FZ15 was, I would get so excited about taking the pic and so concerned about making sure I was holding my camera steady that I could feel my heart rate speed up and get a bit shaky in the hands and legs. I really had to learn to relax and enjoy what I was doing. My best pictures have come from the times I was relaxed and centered on what I was doing. I learned this technique from a photographer in Canada that has helped me a lot. He said to hold your arms close to your body with your elbows resting on your ribs. Pre focus and take a deep breath. Exhale, at the end of your exhale Click! Looking at it written down it sounds crazy but it works for me.
Elizabeth can get so close to the wildlife (sometime closer than I like) she can get a nice shallow DOF without zooming really tight. She does have a pretty steady hand but I'm sure that the FZ1's OSI helps out A LOT!

I don't want anyone here to think Elizabeth goes out and fills the memory cards with perfect pictures. She has her share of bad composed shots, out of focus/missed focused shots, but she is just learning like me. We just go through them together and talk about what went wrong with the bad ones and what we can do the next time to get it right. Then we delete the bad ones and keep the good one and go out and shoot again. She is just a 12 year old who likes to take pictures with her Dad. Sorry this got so long. I hope this is the information you were looking for wise. Best of luck to you!

No add on lens. Just stock FZ1v2.

Below is the EXIF information (taken from picasa ) for each picture above.

All the pictures were resized and lightly sharpened.

Exif info: Turtle 1

Resolution 1600X1200

Flash used: No

Focal Length: 30.0mm

Exposure time: 0.008s (1/128 )

Aperture: f/4.0

White balance: Sunny

Metering Mode: Matrix

Exposure: Program

JPEG Quality: Fine

Exif info: Turtle2

Resolution 1600X1200

Focal Length: 17.0mm

Exposure Time: 0.016s (1/64)

Aperture: f/3.0

White Balance: Sunny

Metering mode: Matrix

Jpeg Quality: Fine

Exif info: Turtle 3

Resolution 1600X1200

Focal Length: 27.0mm

Exposure Time: 0.016s (1/64)

White Balance: Sunny

Metering mode: Matrix

Exif info: Lizard

Resolution 1280X960

Focal length 55.0mm

Exposure time 0.002s (1/512)

Aperture: f/4.0

Metering Mode: Spot

Jpeg Quality Fine

Exif Info: Flower

Resolution 1280X 960

Focal length: 43.0mm

Exposure time: 0.016s (1/64)

Metering mode: Spot

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:23 PM   #23

This is fine work
and with the FZ1v2 great
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:35 AM   #24

Thanks a million, Fox! You have been a lot of help. Actually the turtle head photo is so sharp and clear that it looks as if a macro lens has been used.

And I am doing the same thing. I am reading as much as I can about the basic photography in general and digital photography in perticular. Concept wise I have understood most of the things and am experimenting a little with different settings.

WheneverI see a remarkable photo on this forum( most of them are), Isave them as benchmarks for my learning. So I wanted to be sure that a certain picture is gettable without using a tripod or add-ons because presently I have only my camera with a UV filter for protection of lens.

Thanks again for your patient reply.:-)
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #25
Fox

Glad I could be of some help.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:38 PM   #26

Fox,

Sounds like the two of you get to go out for some family time with both the FZ1 for her and the FZ15 for you. I may have to think about this for may son and I. He loves cameras, mostly being in front of them :-). If you want to help boost her interest and give her some goals you could consider entering her best photo at the state or county fairs. Most of the time there are art/photography categories and may even have a sub class for children's art. A few ribbons would be very exciting for anyone but especially a 12 year old.

Whatever you do, just keep it fun. There is plenty of time for it to become work later in life.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:08 AM   #27
Fox

Yes, We do like to go out together and shoot. Sometime I just fall back a little and watch her work. Kids seem to see the world a little differently than us adults do. (Maybe it's because they are lower to the ground :lol: ) It's definitely quality time well spent!
The FZ1 really fits nice in a smaller hand and if you upgrade it, it gives just enough control to let them start learning what shutter speed and aperture do. It's a GREAT camera to own. I find myself grabbing it all the time to pull off a few shots (when Elizabeth is not using it.) I do not regret for one minute getting the FZ1.

I really like your idea about entering her best photo at the state or county fairs. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

I hope you and your son have as much fun taking pictures together as Elizabeth and I do. Like I said earlier, It's quality time well spent.
Oh don't worry about us, FUN is #1 :|