Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:09 PM   #21

http://tswill2.smugmug.com/photos/26704478-L.jpg

tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:59 AM   #22

tswill2 wrote: I see you like my diagram I gave Gene and now it is all over the forums. I looked at the timer you gave me the link but I am not sure I can preset a time I wantwith no hunt and pecking. I intend to put a jack on my own wireless and an my wired shutter release. Someone make a wireless out of a 'basic stamp'. Bought the item but I need a lot more electronic knowledge to get it going!

Thanks

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:30 AM   #23

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Someone make a wireless out of a 'basic stamp'. Bought the item but I need a lot more electronic knowledge to get it going!
stnkline,

I'll post another reply later about my 'basic stamp' wireless remote but first have to get all the information together. If you were able to fabricate a wireless based on the relay version of the receiver, you will certainly be able to do the same with the basic stamp.

Hold tight, I'll be right back.

Dick

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:47 AM   #24

Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Someone make a wireless out of a 'basic stamp'. Bought the item but I need a lot more electronic knowledge to get it going!
Quote:
rschofield wrote:
Quote:
stnkline,
I'll post another reply later about my 'basic stamp' wireless
Dick
Quote:
Dick: Great. I want to power it from the DPS9000 external battery that is 7.2vdc, voltage regulator?,then put a timer on it to do time lapse photos like a plant growing and blooming. Sometimes need wireless sometimes not. Just add a jack to both my wireless and wired shutter remotesto add timer..
Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Stan
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:48 AM   #25

Tom and Stan,

After some searching I found the various threads on dpreview.com that I used as a basis for my RF wireless remote. Thanks to Bill kb7vkl and to the others who participated in those discussions.

The threads regarding a wireless remote can be found at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13260969 and http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13262263 (both of which refer to the diagrams at http://www.spanburgh.com/Small_Remote/ .

There is also a thread regarding a time lapse timer at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13344702

I have not yet attempted the time lapse part but for pictures of my completed project, see:

http://rschofield.smugmug.com/gallery/598069/1/25168839

Dick

Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:12 AM   #26

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I want to power it from the DPS9000 external battery that is 7.2vdc, voltage regulator?,then put a timer on it to do time lapse photos like a plant growing and blooming. Sometimes need wireless sometimes not. Just add a jack to both my wireless and wired shutter remotesto add timer
Stan,

I configured my remote to allow an external power source rather than include it within the enclosure for two reasons.

Firstly, for size. The circuit board and friends fit nicely in the very small project box.

Secondly, for flexibility. Any external power source (with the proper plug) could be used.

The circuit uses ~5-6V so you'd need to reduce the voltage that the DPS-9000 provides (7.2V would fry it). From what I've been able to determine, the DP-5V step-down connector cable will do just that but I'm not sure how you connect that to an adapter cable. And if you're planning to power both the remote and camera (and timer), I don't know how you'd split the power amongst them all.

Dick

Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:43 AM   #27

rschofield wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I want to power it from the DPS9000 external battery that is 7.2vdc, voltage regulator?,then put a timer on it to do time lapse photos like a plant growing and blooming. Sometimes need wireless sometimes not. Just add a jack to both my wireless and wired shutter remotesto add timer
Quote:
Stan,

I configured my remote to allow an external power source rather than include it within the enclosure for two reasons.

Firstly, for size. The circuit board and friends fit nicely in the very small project box.

Secondly, for flexibility. Any external power source (with the proper plug) could be used.

The circuit uses ~5-6V so you'd need to reduce the voltage that the DPS-9000 provides (7.2V would fry it). From what I've been able to determine, the DP-5V step-down connector cable will do just that but I'm not sure how you connect that to an adapter cable. And if you're planning to power both the remote and camera (and timer), I don't know how you'd split the power amongst them all.
Dick
Dick: I was planning to use a 'Y' for the separation and a 7805 regulator to get 5 volts. That's the easy part.

The timer itself seems easy but setting the timer is the hard part. I really do not want to set and pray at to what time period I have set in!

Thanks

STAN
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:49 PM   #28

The 40 footer works fine. I'd prefer it to be an extension to a shorter cable so I wouldn't need to carry the whole thing around when I only need a cable release. Maybe I'll suggest it to Phayee.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:28 PM   #29

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
rschofield wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I want to power it from the DPS9000 external battery that is 7.2vdc, voltage regulator?,then put a timer on it to do time lapse photos like a plant growing and blooming. Sometimes need wireless sometimes not. Just add a jack to both my wireless and wired shutter remotes to add timer
Quote:
Stan,

Dick
Quote:
The DPS9000comes with a5v regulator cord that plugs into the 7.2vdc outlet on the battery.. Then the adapter cord that fits your camera plugs into the 5vdcinput jack on the camera and the other end fits into the 5vdc regulator.IE 7.2 vdc power supply>cord with 5vdc regulator >adapter cord >camera; all in series.All provided for FZ20. DPS comes with a bunch of adapter cords to fit many cameras.
Quote:
The DPS has a screw that fits the camera, 1/4 inch x 20 TPI. The bottom of the DPS has a inside 1/4 - 20 for the tripod. I made a tripod adapter that when attached allows me to change battery or card without removing camera from tripod. The tripod is on the center line ofmy FZ20
STAN
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:46 PM   #30

Spyke wrote:
Quote:
The 40 footer works fine. I'd prefer it to be an extension to a shorter cable so I wouldn't need to carry the whole thing around when I only need a cable release. Maybe I'll suggest it to Phayee.
I designed a wireless shutter control that works up to 200 feet. No wires and small size and moderate cost. My crude diagram is up on top of this thread! A few posters have already used this circuit. I almost have a time lapse shutter control designed. I want to take pictures of plants growing. I saw this and was fascinated.

Have over 100 pages of info to digest. I found the solution to a real time clock circuit. An electric analog wristwatch puts out a 1 HZ square wave signal. Second hand moves once per second. Hook this up to a presettable down counter to get time. Then saw a 555 used for a fixed lenght pulse to trigger shutter.

Too much family this weekend or I would be done.

STAN