Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:08 AM   #11

sandy....thx for the nice comment on my work.....and just remember we are a family of armature's here and we have a great bond.....We are all here to help Youand any one else......so just ask away........

Kinda like....RADIO SHACK "YOU GOT QUESTIONS....WE GOT ANSWER'S !!!!!

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:10 AM   #12

Well, I finally got my Phayee adapter and have beenwaiting patiently to experiment with the Nikon 6t I bought a few weeks ago. I need help with settings. Some advice on how to begin, PLEASE! Sandy
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:31 AM   #13

You will have fun with your new lens sandyp.
A few tips from Treemonkey.
1- Use f8 at all times, best to use "A" mode on camera. This will maximise the depth of field (depth that can be in focus).
2- The shutter speed should not drop below 1/60 as this will give rise to soft images. If you dont have enough light use the flash. You can get good results with the onboard one especially if you adjust the output. But, you will get much better results with an external flash, I suggest the Sunpak 383.
3- Focusing- Auto focus will not work, dont try using it. Put it into manual mode and then focus by zooming to the magnification you want and then move the camera towards/away from the subject until it is in focus. The subject distance is ~20cm. This focusing method takes a bit to get use to and it can be best to use lower zooms first and then work up to 12x.
4- Use the EVF not the LCD screen. Having the camera pressed up against your face really helps stablise it and your photos will come out a lot sharper. I would recommend getting a rubber eye cup as this will make using the EVF easier.
5- Dont forget composition, it can be very tempting to zoom right in and get a highly magnified image but often these wont look as good as one that has been composed better and at a lower magnification.

I think that will get you started. Just go out and have fun, take lots of photos and keep us up to date.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:12 AM   #14

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
3- Focusing- Auto focus will not work, dont try using it. Put it into manual mode and then focus by zooming to the magnification you want and then move the camera towards/away from the subject until it is in focus. The subject distance is ~20cm. This focusing method takes a bit to get use to and it can be best to use lower zooms first and then work up to 12x.
I totally agree with all but #3 and I agree with it except for you saying that auto focus will not work. I use it all the time with my fz1v2. I lock focus/exposure with a shutter half-press and then obtain maximum focus by slightly moving the camera (and my body) closer or further from the subject. The fz1 doesn't have manual focus so I dont have that option anyway. I do occasionally use the focus lock button rather than shutter half-press. I imagine the flash bounce method may require manual focus or focus lock. I haven't tried that yet.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:42 PM   #15

I just went through the same decision making process and went with the Phayee/6t combo (thanks to all the great advice & opinion posted here).

Not having an extra adapter to deal with is great; focusing is an issue that I still have to learn and I will follow some of the advice in this thread on my next attempts. I picked up a Vivitar 283 (Made in China) to help out. Yesterday I ended up with several OOF shots using auto.....
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:48 PM   #16

Thanks for the help on the settings. Irecently bought the Sunpak 383. I've just started experimenting with it. Are there any specific settings that will work most of the time or will I have to change them frequently to adapt to specific shooting situations?

Also, what about when using the 6t?
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:30 PM   #17

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
I totally agree with all but #3 and I agree with it except for you saying that auto focus will not work. I use it all the time with my fz1v2.
Hey I guess it due to the crappy auto focus on the FZ10! That thing can focus on a vertical line even if it jumped out and smacked the camera! I love my FZ, I really do but some times the auto focus really annoys me. One day I will have my D70, one day.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote