Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:14 AM   #1

Are these two lenses pretty much the same in performance and quality? I know there have been posts on macro lenses but I'm trying to make a final decision between the two. I also know that the MCON-40 is more expensive but that doesn't matter if it's better. I'm a new owner of an FZ20 and am also new at posting on forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would like to purchase one as soon as possible.
sandyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:18 AM   #2

Nikon or Olympus? got a preference? i think that's what it boils down to, since i don't think there's any appreciable difference between the two as regards to quality of the glass or mount. isthe Olyworth the extra $50? the MCON-40 is a 2.5 diopter lens, the 6T is 2.9, so you'll get a little bit more magnification with the Nikon. on the other hand, Oly says you can focus to 4" with the MCON (although that spec is probably based on their cameras, not on the FZ's, and probably NOT at 12x zoom!), while the Nikon only lets youget within about 12-14", but will also let you focus at that distance at full zoom. i can't speakfor the Oly, but i do have the Nikon lens, and it's solid, well made, and very effective. performance-wise, there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between them. either way, you're also going to need an adapter, like the Phayee or Pemaraal to mount the close-up lens to. i assume you already have one of those? if it was me, i'd get the Nikon and save the extra $50 for other goodies... or a night on the town!

take a look at some of Willow's posts on this board to see what you can do with the 6T.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the specs on the two! I thought maybe it was personal preference between brands since I haven't read any negatives on either. With the prices I've found on the two there's about $25 difference. I was thinking the same thing - that could go on another accessary! I don't have an adapter yet and am probably going to order the Phayee. That's why I needed to make a decision on the macro lens because I would order the MCON if I was going to get it at the same time that I order the Phayee. One more question, is there are difference between the MCON-35 and MCON-40? Is the 40 just a newer model?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

As I understand it, the mcon40 is essentially the same as the oly b-macro; dual element, +3 diopter with 55mm rear threads and no front threads. Why make identical lens with different model numbers? Perhaps there is a difference in the diopter; ie, 2.5 and 3.
The mcon35 and 6t are also quite similar; both +3, dual element, 62mm rear threads. The mcon35 has 72mm front threads whereas the 6t has 62mm.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:32 PM   #5

regarding pricing, most of the prices i've seen for the MCON-40 run between $100 and $115. You can get the Nikon 6T for under $50 from B&H Photo...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:11 PM   #6

I can get an MCON-40 for $70 when I order the Phayee adapter. That's why I was questioning if they were pretty much the same in quality. That small of a price difference wouldn't make any difference if the MCON was better. However, if it's not I'll probably go with the 6t and put my money towards another accessary.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:05 PM   #7

I'd get the 6t because 1) at 62mm you will not need to use the small supplied Phayee step ring - something else to misplace, 2) the 6t may be slightly more powerful than the mcon40, and 3) the 6t is $47 vs $70 for the mcon40. I can see no advantage to the mcon40 with the phayee adapter.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:28 PM   #8

agreed. i have the 6T and Phayee adapter, and they work beautifully together.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:42 PM   #9

Hi sandyp......I use the Nikon 6T with a Pemaraaladapter and its a rock solid combo in my macro world....and the 6T is much cheaper....but as always its your call.

BTW...the Nikon 6T is quite the performer as you can see here....
Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:20 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice from everyone! I have to admit, I was a little hesitant about posting a question since I had never done it before. Reading the posts have been a tremendous amount of help with my FZ20. willow1, I went back and looked at some of your pictures as suggested in a previous message to me and all I can say is, "WOW!" I neve thought that I would be able to lookso closeinto the eyes of bugs! The pics are just awesome! I've decided to go with the 6t for obvious reasons, ie., all the above messages.

Look for future questions from me. I will try hard to find the answer in previous posts before asking. Thanks again for the help!