Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1

I am in the process of choosing a diamond engagement ring. I have the setting chosen, I am just waiting for the loose diamond to arrive for my approval. Any thoughts as to how to best do this? I have done a lot of research on diamonds and whatnot but I haven't seen many tips on how to photograph one! For reference, a 1 carat round brilliant is 6.5mm (about a 1/4") in diameter.

Keenan
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:10 AM   #2

With the fz20 in aperature prioity and as much light as possible, set the aperature as high as possible; f/8 is max. Zoom to about 3x (no greater than 3x) and get the lens about an inch from the diamond. Move the camera in and out slightly to get good focus. Depending on the amount of light, you should be able to do this handheld. Thiswill capture an image about 35mm wide. Crop as far as you can to enlarge. Too bad you dont have a close-up lens. It would make things considerably easier and more magnified. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:04 PM   #3

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
With the fz20 in aperature prioity and as much light as possible, set the aperature as high as possible; f/8 is max. Zoom to about 3x (no greater than 3x) and get the lens about an inch from the diamond. Move the camera in and out slightly to get good focus. Depending on the amount of light, you should be able to do this handheld. This will capture an image about 35mm wide. Crop as far as you can to enlarge. Too bad you dont have a close-up lens. It would make things considerably easier and more magnified. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm.
Fmoore, but at F8.0, the FZ20 actually shows very dark or even black on its LCD screen. That's one bad thing about the FZ20.

Keenan, What I will do, is to take the diamond shot as big as the camera is able to with macro mode, with the best quality and biggest pic size, Then crop it. What camera do you have?
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:07 PM   #4
Mag

Keenan- as silly as this may sound you may be impressed with what a simple cheap magifying glass will do for you held up to lens. Ive did very lil experimenting with that so far, Ill try that againlater and post a pic, im off to work for now.

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:26 PM   #5

Here you go Keenan but not a loose diamond though. I just took my wife's ring and had a few shots and below is one of them. The setting is Manual Mode, ISO80, F2.8 and shutter speed 1/4. I use the biggest pic size 2560 and the highest quality(not TIFF though). I cropped it and adjusted the brightness and contrast a little.

BTW: Using a magnifying glass will do the trick too.

Jacky
PS: My wife's ring is only 0.54 carat:P:sad: cos I couldn't afford a 1 carat. And imagine your 1 carat will look much bigger than the pic above.
Attached Images

spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:01 AM   #6
Mag

If you havent noticed Keenan theres athread in these forums on magnifying glasses then check it out. All i had was an acrylic one, and the results werent to impressive but glass magnifying glasses seem to be pretty darn impressive for the price. Heres the link

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:23 PM   #7

You can buy a cheap Close-up lens set (3 different) for $40 USD or less in any local photo store, they are not professional butwill help you a lot.

If you don't want to do that, you can attach to the camera the original lens adaptor and handheld a big magnifier glass in front of it, then put your camera in Macro mode and zoom in a little. You will get a decent "macro-like" shoot.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:35 AM   #8

Sorry for not responding earlier fellows, I have been incommunicado for a bit. I have the FZ20. I always take photos on the largest size (2560). With the tripod, I can really control the shutter. I suppose the best thing is to play around with it hey? I was thinking with the macro mode, zoom, etc. I should be able to get a good photo. I was looking at some of the internet sites and they often have a 10X magnification. It'd be neat to use the FZ20 and get similar results!

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the ring Spidey. I appreciate it a lot. As for the size, the key is that it is from the heart and she loves it right? At least that is what they tell me. :?

I'll post some photos when I get the diamond. It might be a bit because I am having trouble getting the diamond I want.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:39 AM   #9

Mag wrote:
Quote:
If you havent noticed Keenan theres athread in these forums on magnifying glasses then check it out. All i had was an acrylic one, and the results werent to impressive but glass magnifying glasses seem to be pretty darn impressive for the price. Heres the link

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Mag

Interesting results there. I might have to look into that. I do have a 10X jewellers loupe but its only a 21 mm diameter lens. Hmm ... the problem with a loupe is you normally hold it about an inch from your eye and the diamond about one or two inches from the loupe. Its worth a try though.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:40 AM   #10

Oh yeah, I would buy a macro lens but this ring will make me broke. I need to save everything I have. No camera goodies for a while now!