Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:02 AM   #1

Hi! Two questions:

1) What's the difference between a step-ring and an adaptor?

2) Is a regular circular hood better or worse than a petal hood? Does it make much difference? Is one better in certain conditions than another? I'm going to order an adaptor and UV filter, and want a hood to fit on it but I'm not sure whether to get circular or petal.

Thanks!
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:47 PM   #2

Suzaberg wrote:
Quote:
Hi! Two questions:

1) What's the difference between a step-ring and an adaptor?

2) Is a regular circular hood better or worse than a petal hood? Does it make much difference? Is one better in certain conditions than another? I'm going to order an adaptor and UV filter, and want a hood to fit on it but I'm not sure whether to get circular or petal.

Thanks!
Hi Suzaberg, I'll try my best to answer your questions with whatever I know.

1. An adaptor is a bigger piece thing like a cut-tube, added to the camera. This is for holding extra add on lens(macro,tele,wide or fish eye lenses) or filters(UV,ND,Polarized,macro...etc). Cos some lenses are quite big and heavy, you need this adaptor to hold them if you want to add on any lens. The adaptor has out thread(the screw thread where add on lens fits)too and they come in different sizes.

2. A step ring is just a ring. There are 2 kind of rings: Strp-Up or Step-Down. A step ring is actually an adaptor too but in the form of a ring. For e.g, if your adaptor out thread is 52mm, you can't add on a 49mm or 58mm lenses of filters. So you need a Step-Down ring 52-49mm to add on the 49mm lens or filter. Vice versa, you need a Step-Up ring 52-58mm to hold the add on 58mm lens or filter.

FYI, for me, I use a Raynox RT5264P adaptor which allows me to accept nothing but 52mm lens or filters. I do not have to worry if the lens is too heavy, for the adaptor can hold it. I just concentrate on getting 52mm lenses or filters. OK if I want to get a tele lens for e.g,say 49mm size. I will need a Step-Down ring of 52-49mm to fit on the tele lens.

Ok you might ask me so how can the step down ring hold the heavy tele lens then? It can(not for long period of use though) cos the step down ring is attacherd to the adaptor and not the original body of the camera. So if the tele lens bends(unlikely) the adaptor, the camera is still safe cos you can just replace the adaptor.

Now for the hood. There are basically 2 types of hood. The round/circular and the flower hood.

1. The flower hood is quite usefully to some and may be silly to others. Why? As you know the main thing for hood is to block sunlight or strong light. The flower hoood is designed in a way that when you stand in a location/position and point to your object with you camera with the flower hood, direct sunlight might enter into the camera at a certain angle or position. So having the flower hood(which is not supposed to fit on tightly) attached, you can actually turn/rotate the hood around so that one or more of the petals can block the sunlight, WITHOUT having to change your location/position. And also the petal are provide longer shade than round/circular hood. The flower hood is quite long and this proves cumbersome to some,cos it is not so mobile(due to the extra length) or keeping into their camera bags when attached to the camera.

2. The circular hood is better than the flower hoodin t he sense that it provides an all rounded shade. But the shade is actually shorter than the flower's hood. So for e.g., you want to take a pic and the sun is not high above you but in front & above you(say you can put the camera parrallel to the ground), the circular hood might not be able to provide enough shade for you to take a pic.So you might need to change location/position.

But in generally, hoods are seldom use. I did not use my original Panasonic flower hood that came with the camera at all. Cos it is quite troublesome to fit and take off the hood every time. Cos sometimes you might want to add on wide angle lens or tele lens for outdoors shoot, and you haveto take the hood off. Thus, the hood might be useful for one or a few shots for normal day out shooting. Alternately you can use your hand or a piece of solid paper and put it above your camera to act as a innovative shade.

Back to the adaptor, be certain what to get. Just an advice and info to you, the bigger the lenses or filters sizes, the more expensive their costs will be. That is, 52mm's(lenses or filters) are cheaper than 58mm's, 58mm's cheaper than 62mm's.... and so forth. In my opinion get 52mm or 62mm stuffs, they are more popular and easily available. So for 52mm adaptor you can get the Raynox RT5264P and for 62mm adaptor you can get a Phayee 62mm adaptor. Both are as good. So why are there 2 sizes? Some like 62mm lenses or filters cos they generally do not vignet(dark corners appeared in pics) but they are slightly more expensive than 52mm's. Some like 52mm's cos they are cheaper accessories compared to 62mm's. For me,I use 52mm stuffs, vigneting does not occur unlike I use a very big magnification macro filter(seldom need that much of magnifying though). And even if it vignets, I can easily crop a little off the corners and it is not even a problem considered by me at all.

Ok that's about it to let you digest. hehehe......you can ask me more if you need anything. I'll try to help you with what I know so far.

Regards,
Jacky
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:30 PM   #3

I have the permaraal adapter in my FZ-15 because I plan to buy the Raynox 2020 Tele. Last Saturday I bougth a 52 mm circular lens hood for the adapter and... I got vigneting with the less focal (35mm)
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:27 PM   #4

spiderman, theres a few things wrong with your explainations. First of all, the difference between adapters and step rings is an adapter gives your camera usable threads. The threads on your camera are proprietary threads that filters and lenses do not use. Furthermore they are behind the actual lens, so it is physically impossible to use filters even if the threads matche. A step ring just allows you to use a filter or lens on a camera with different threads than it has.

As for hoods, the flower hood is not meant to be rotated. The theory behind a flower hood is that your lens is round, but the photos you take are square. If you use a circular lens hood that is narrower than your current field of view you will see vignetting on the corners of your image becuase the hood will have been in the way. If you images were circular you would see a black border all the way around, but because they are not you only see them on the corners. The flower hood has cut out corners so that is less likely to happen.

Also, you should use your lens hood almost all the time when shooting outdoors.

"Many people never bother with lens hoods unless they're shooting into the sun, figuring that they otherwise don't really need them. Yet a lens hood does more than just prevent flare; they also will help improve contrast, even when the sun is behind you.

The way we see things is based on the fact that the reflect light. That light, however, is not directed solely towards you. In fact, from a typically irregular surface, the light is reflected in virtually every direction. As such, this stray reflected light is coming at you and your lens from everything you're not photographing that is anywhere in front of you. If you could draw a line from the front of your lens to something, the reflected light from it is hitting your lens. While this light is likely not bright enough to cause visible flare, the sum total of it from all sources is sufficient to produce a kind of "visual white noise" that will lessen the contrast of what you are trying to photograph.

So, the moral of this little tale is to always use the proper lens hood for each lens, even when there's no "obvious" reason for doing so. The improvement in contrast can vary, but it always there to some degree." -EarthboundLight.com
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5

Q...I just ordered a Nikon HN-22 hood will i getvignetting while using this hood ??? its not the petal type.....

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:34 AM   #6

Probably not. Thats a fairly shallow lens hood. Unless you plan on using it with a wideangle lens it should work fine. I have a rubber collapsable lens hood on mine that is marked for telephoto only, and I get no vignetting.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:58 AM   #7

Suz, here are two sites where you can purchase what I hear are some of the best adapters and hoods available. They are 62mm on both ends, and from the Pemaraal site, you can get the PA62H, which incluedes the adapter and the hood. Both 62 mm, minimizing the chance of having to get different size filters for either end of the setup.

http://www.pemaraal.com/fz10ac.html(more expensive, but will deliver much quicker since they are not located in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43441&item =3850204139&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
(It will say item sold, but scroll down and you can enter RJ camera accessory store for Phayee adapters. The aluminum version is recommended because they say the plastic one causes problems removing attachments in high temp. environments. You may have trouble with this site also if you don't have experience with ebay. If you email Ron Jin he will get back to you very quick. This site is less expensive but takes a long time to get product since it is all the way in China.)

Hope this helps....

Doug.
Doug Scroggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:07 AM   #8

Thanks for the info BroadBryce. But I am quite sure about rotating the flower hood cos it is from the manual of the FZ20. Maybe I misinterpret it. As for the hood to use all the time, I don't totally agree with you cos if the sun is not direct in front, one can always use an UV or polarzied or ND filters to cut down the glare, rays or reflection. JMO.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:40 AM   #9

Wow, thanks for all the info! Doug, the two sites you list are the two I've been most considering. It's very reassuring to know that they're the two you most recommend. Board Bryce, if hoods limit the amount of reflected light coming into the camera, why isn't it used indoors also? Is there less light indoors to be reflected? Do you think circular or petal (flower) is best? Spiderman, your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Board Bryce, so does yours. Between the two of you I feel I have a much better understanding of the situation. Thanks!
Suzaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:06 AM   #10

spiderman- thats very strange if your manual tells you to rotate the flower hood, my FZ15 manual specifically tells you to put it on by aligning the dots on the side so that it's straight. Everything I've heard about flower lenses is that they're only used to cut vignetting on corners. Rotating it would defeat it's purpose. I'm interested to know precisely what the manual says. Also I use my hood all the time, unless I have to use my flash in which case the hood gets in the way. Every amount of light, whether in the photo or not, will affect the contrast and color saturation. Glare is not a common problem for me even without a hood, but every photographer I know tells me that their shots turn out better when they use hoods, and I've found that to be true.

Suzaberg- Hoods can be used indoors, but it is less common because most indoor situations have significantly less light than outdoor situations. As for preference, it really depends on how you plan to use it. You might look into getting an adjustable rubber hood. I prefer rubber lens hoods because they collapse back over the lense and add a certain amount of cusion to it in case I bump it into anything (knock on wood).
http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ72.html?s...hood&item_no=1