Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:16 AM   #1

Just a quick word of warning, depending on what you expect from the FZ3. Mine arrived yesterday and I was extremely disppaointed by the build quality.

I knew it was going to be plastic - but didn't know it would be that plastic!

Felt very flimsy and buttons didn't seem too robust either. Didn't give me any confidence it would survive too long. So I ended up returning it today; shame really as it has some cracking features.

If you are wavering on the FZ3 due to it being plastic just , just be wary - as it doesn't seem too clever.
u_luv_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:24 AM   #2

I like mine just fine-enjoy the light weight of it. Just remember its electronic and therefore needs to be treated gently I wouldn't even consider manhandling my big old 35 either.:?.

Happy:|,

norma

and maybe I am being overly defensive-but I like my fuzzie:blah:
chopper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #3

I second that emotion. I like my FZ3 just the way it is.
TiogaTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4

TiogaTraveler wrote:
Quote:
I second that emotion. I like my FZ3 just the way it is.
Me three! I don't have a problem with the construction of the FZ3. I have a Lumix LC33 which my son dropped from about shoulder height onto a concrete floor. there is a little scratch on the corner of the camera case, but that's all. The camera works fine. I treat my FZ3 very carefullly, but I'm sure that at some time it will sustain a few knocks and bumps. I suspect that it is built as well or better than the LC33.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

The only thing on my FZ3 I don't care for is the power switch. That could be a lot more solid feeling.Other than that I have no complaints and as all have mentioned the light weight and quality is all top notch.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:06 PM   #6

Plastic gets a bad rap. You can argue that the old built like a brick tanks were solid, but they would also rust and the lubricant would jell up causing your shutter to stick.

My main concern with the digitals are the buttons. That little $0.02 button for the on/off switch costs will cost more than the camera to fix. I do wish they were more durable.

It should be interesting to see how long these digitals last. A few years? Or decades like the old cameras?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Plastic gets a bad rap. You can argue that the old built like a brick tanks were solid, but they would also rust and the lubricant would jell up causing your shutter to stick.

My main concern with the digitals are the buttons. That little $0.02 button for the on/off switch costs will cost more than the camera to fix. I do wish they were more durable.

It should be interesting to see how long these digitals last. A few years? Or decades like the old cameras?
the on/off button on the FZ1 seems cheap
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:32 PM   #8

boyzo wrote:

the on/off button on the FZ1 seems cheap

The switch on my FZ3 seems to be exactly the same as the switch on my LC33. So far, no problems with either one.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:21 PM   #9

you're probably right, but remember, there's a lot more glass in the FZ'z than in the LC33/43,so they will be more likely to sustain damage in a fall, especially to the zoom mechanism. the main thing to remember is that all the FZ'z are precision instruments, and they should be treated as such. an occasional bump into a wall or a tree trunk or whatever won't likely hurt them much, but serious knocks should be avoided. you won't hurt the electronics, but the lens mechanism is delicate, and probably wouldn't survive serious abuse without some kind of damage.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:32 PM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
you're probably right, but remember, there's a lot more glass in the FZ'z than in the LC33/43,*so they will be more likely to sustain damage in a fall, especially to the zoom mechanism. the main thing to remember is that all the FZ'z are precision instruments, and they should be treated as such. an occasional bump into a wall or a tree trunk or whatever won't likely hurt them much, but serious knocks should be avoided. you won't hurt the electronics, but the lens mechanism is delicate, and probably wouldn't survive serious abuse without some kind of damage.
Yes! you never want to just throw your camera in as the last item of a jammed packed trunk of your car before going on holiday (<- those Brits who post are rubbing off on me... :G), then slam-n-jam it shut! The camera should always be in its case, if you're gunna do this.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote