Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:57 PM   #1

water lily in a fountain pond.
FZ1 1/80 f3.2 15mm zoom.

Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:03 PM   #2

You're on an absolute ROLL today Boyzo... marvelous. Show these mega-megapixel FZ-20 peeps just what that little 2 megapixel gem (FZ-1) can do! :G

And is it me? I know I harp and seem partial, and the FZ-1 is an older technology, but the color or something just seems to pop for some reason... It might just be my imagination... but I would cite your photos, and the ones recently posted by Fox's daughter, Elizabeth, as examples.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:08 PM   #3

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
You're on an absolute ROLL today Boyzo... marvelous. Show these mega-megapixel FZ-20 peeps just what that little 2 megapixel gem (FZ-1) can do! :G
suppose so Nick .... <grin>

we don't see the fz1 come up enough in posts

your B&W series helped tho'

John
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:15 PM   #4

This is just a super gorgeous picture, John. Like an alluring, lovely lass whom I may be inclined to admire, I keep coming back for another discrete glance.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

That little chunk out of the leaf makes me wonder what's lurking beneath the lilly.
TiogaTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:26 PM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
This is just a super gorgeous picture, John. Like an alluring, lovely lass whom I may be inclined to admire, I keep coming back for another discrete glance.
Thanks nick

have a look my other topic "beach scene"

all three shots are from CA nth of SF
the sonoma county nth bay
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:52 PM   #7

Man you just keep crankin out the great ones... Yet another awesome shot...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:05 PM   #8

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Picture of the fountain where the shot was taken.

btw I wonder how many still use the FZ1 apart from myself Nicktrop and fred.
With 2MP it does well but shot mustbe tight and a4 is the print limit...
Despite the favorable comments on my pics I do feel that the FZ10 has just a tiny little extra smoothness.
But oh the FZ1 is so light Ideal travel camera.
So anf FZ1 fans speak up.
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:41 PM   #9

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
Despite the favorable comments on my pics I do feel that the FZ10 has just a tiny little extra smoothness.
I think Leica and Panasonic had an excellent vision when they came up with the FZ-1. I think they have been moving away from their original vision with each successive model. Here are two articles (now infamous, perhaps old news) from a professional Washington Post photographer, Frank Van Riper. Interesting reads. The first one he talks about the FZ-1... LOVES IT! Raves about it... Amazed by it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm

Here's the same pro photographer's take on the FZ-10. Basically, he sez..."if it ain't broke, dont fix it." Give it a good review, but likes the FZ-1 much better...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/040311.htm

I agree with this photographer, and think his criticisms of the FZ-10 apply to the rest of the line (except perhaps the FZ-3, maybe)

There's a fair number of FZ-1ers out there. Some have the FZ-1 in addition to other cameras... Rezajune is an FZ-1'er. Basac has posted some excellent studio and landscape shots with the FZ-1, Fox has an FZ-1 that his daughter uses (and has posted some wonderful stuff...) Vizonquest (sic) uses a 10 or a 20 but like the FZ-1 too. Then there's FZFun who I also think is an FZ-1'er. There are a few others but they're the regulars. Most forum posters are FZ-20 users, who purchased their FZ's withing the last 6 mon(?)... guessing.

I like the FZ-1 and I'm content. I like the other cameras as well, but I really enjoy ir photography, and the others are not suitable for this purpose. I like a smaller camera that is not a chore to lug around, so the FZ-1 fits the bill. I can't print larger than A4 anyway without sending it out.

No mind you, I will end up spending as much for the add-on for the FZ-1(v2) as the FZ-20. I already have a C-210, the Hoya ir filter, two ND filters, Teffen UV Haze and a Teffen Polarisor, the Raynox DCR 250 macro lens, and I'm shopping around for the Raynox DCR 6600 wide angle lens. I also have the Vivitar DF200 slave flash, with an L-bracket. (I also just - as in today, bought a seperate dedicated inkjet for black and white prints... An Epson C-86, which a company called MIS makes high-quality gray inks that replace the positions of the color cartridges...)

With the above, I am ready for any photographic situation. The trade off in megapixels is worth it to me. When I need to add pixel density, I use Genuine Fractals, which does a fine job up to about 100% increase in pixels. So I consider the max capability without discernable image degradation of my set-up to be the equivalent of 4 megapixels.

Furthermore 90% of what I view is on a PC. 9% or less end up as 6X4's, and I print very few 8X10s... a dozen or so since I got the camera? So from my perspective, I've traded in an extraneous capability (megapixels) for added functionality by the Z-1 + various add-on lenses, filters, and a more powerful flash.

Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:05 PM   #10

Nick I agree with you and yes I have read Franks review of the FZ1... not the FZ10 THO' will readit tho'

Thanks M8t

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
I think Leica and Panasonic had an excellent vision when they came up with the FZ-1. I think they have been moving away from their original vision with each successive model. Here are two articles (now infamous, perhaps old news) from a professional Washington Post photographer, Frank Van Riper. Interesting reads. The first one he talks about the FZ-1... LOVES IT! Raves about it... Amazed by it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm

Here's the same pro photographer's take on the FZ-10. Basically, he sez..."if it ain't broke, dont fix it." Give it a good review, but likes the FZ-1 much better...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/040311.htm

I agree with this photographer, and think his criticisms of the FZ-10 apply to the rest of the line (except perhaps the FZ-3, maybe)

There's a fair number of FZ-1ers out there. Some have the FZ-1 in addition to other cameras... Rezajune is an FZ-1'er. Basac has posted some excellent studio and landscape shots with the FZ-1, Fox has an FZ-1 that his daughter uses (and has posted some wonderful stuff...) Vizonquest (sic) uses a 10 or a 20 but like the FZ-1 too. Then there's FZFun who I also think is an FZ-1'er. There are a few others but they're the regulars. Most forum posters are FZ-20 users, who purchased their FZ's withing the last 6 mon(?)... guessing.

I like the FZ-1 and I'm content. I like the other cameras as well, but I really enjoy ir photography, and the others are not suitable for this purpose. I like a smaller camera that is not a chore to lug around, so the FZ-1 fits the bill. I can't print larger than A4 anyway without sending it out.

No mind you, I will end up spending as much for the add-on for the FZ-1(v2) as the FZ-20. I already have a C-210, the Hoya ir filter, two ND filters, Teffen UV Haze and a Teffen Polarisor, the Raynox DCR 250 macro lens, and I'm shopping around for the Raynox DCR 6600 wide angle lens. I also have the Vivitar DF200 slave flash, with an L-bracket. (I also just - as in today, bought a seperate dedicated inkjet for black and white prints... An Epson C-86, which a company called MIS makes high-quality gray inks that replace the positions of the color cartridges...)

With the above, I am ready for any photographic situation. The trade off in megapixels is worth it to me. When I need to add pixel density, I use Genuine Fractals, which does a fine job up to about 100% increase in pixels. So I consider the max capability without discernable image degradation of my set-up to be the equivalent of 4 megapixels.

Furthermore 90% of what I view is on a PC. 9% or less end up as 6X4's, and I print very few 8X10s... a dozen or so since I got the camera? So from my perspective, I've traded in an extraneous capability (megapixels) for added functionality by the Z-1 + various add-on lenses, filters, and a more powerful flash.