Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:39 PM   #1

hey there , quick question, is it better to get a 512 sd card or should I get a 1gb card for my fz20, don't want to make a mistake or short change my self ...HELP:?
fred-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:00 PM   #2

depends how you're gonna use it really. im going for a 512. ill be taking alot of pictures, and possibly a few videos, but i probably wont be unable to use a computer for more than a few days, so i think 512mb will do for that. however if you are gonna take alot of pics, at full resolution, and wont be able to put them on any other storage device for some time, you might want to consider 1GB. they are usually just under double the price of a 512 card.
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:28 PM   #3

you should be able to fit about 200 shots at full resolution on a 512MB card. if you anticipate shooting more than 200 pcs between downloads, or plan to use the FZ'z TIFF mode (which sucks up 13-15MB per image)much, then the 1gig card might be a better choice. personally, i use a 512, and have a 256 as a back-up. so far, i've barely dented the 512 between downloads - i'm too eager to see the pics the camera takes on my PC screen to let them lanquish on the SD card for long!

one point to consider... SD cards don't fail often, but they do fail. if the only card you have is the 1gig card in the camera, you're hosed if something goes wrong. with a couple of 512's, or a 512 and a 256 back-up, you'll always have SOMETHING to use till you can replace the one that's a problem...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:37 PM   #4

i used to have a 128 CF card for my previous camera where pictures took about 0.7-1.2 mb. on several occasions i have run out of memory, shooting videos and / or pictures and i really regretted not having backup

i also like to take 2-3 pictures of the same subject and then pick out the best one of them.

just got this today for my fz20, so that i never have to worry about space again:

advertised as 66x (10mb/s), gets good reviews from newegg... it's thinner than other sd cards (it's not cased in plastic, it looks like it's just a piece of a circuit board)

at high resolution it stores ~410 pictures (as reported by the camera). the transfer rate isn't too fast for some reason, but there is no slow down whatsoever in the rapid burst mode (infinity setting)
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:48 PM   #5

You know that kingmax stopped making sd cards right?
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:24 PM   #6

GnomonMaster wrote:
Quote:

no, i don't. is it a cheap knock-off? it seems to work well plus why would newegg sell knock-offs?
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:09 PM   #7

Kingmax didn't stop making SD cards. Newegg is expecting cards in this week. I have one 512 and will get another when they are in stock again.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:33 PM   #8

There is igb lexar media card for $60 at Fry's after rebate. the register price is $80 and there is $20 MIR.
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:41 AM   #9

GnomonMaster wrote:
Quote:
I'm not too sure that's right. After reading your post, I visited their website, and for a company that's supposedly 'not' makind SD cards, I don't think they'd put this on their site:
http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/product/SD.htm <-- Me wants!!

:|
somarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:25 AM   #10

I have two 256MB cards which is enough for me. I usually don't fill one of them more than 1/4 full before downloading pics to my computer. I like redundancy in case I lose one (or can't find one :-) ) or one goes bad. If I had 600 pictures on a 1GB card that failed I would be very upset. Larger cards are useless for me unless I fill them up more.

If I were to go on a long vacation I might consider getting a 512MB card or two, if they were significantly more cost-effective than buying the 256MB cards.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote