Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:49 AM   #1

for those living east of the Mississippi, THIS is amountain! For those not familiar with Seattle, this shows just how Mt. Rainier dominates the local skyline... and why we all so fervently hope that big honkin' volcano STAYS dormant!! :shock:
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2

wow, it's so surreal! i love it!
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:31 AM   #3

Hi there Squirl from north of the border. Nice shot. You have another great mountain in your neighbourhood, that we view from here all the time. Mnt Baker. This was taken from one of our local mountains - Cypress. We're lucky out west with all the scenery we have. Cheers......thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4

That is a HOT () background for a pic... Just lovely

thekman, your pic is great too; love the sunset colors on the snow. Reminds me of our holidays in the Alps :crazy:
The pic seems a bit soft to me; I couldn't view the exif, so I presume you have done some kind of editing? I think a small sharpening touch would really finish the pic (in the positive way)

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5

Yes, it is edited a bit. Some contrast, and a small crop. It is over 150km away, so that would explain the softness. Lots of haze in the air too. thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:24 PM   #6

Great pic, squirl03!

Shot from Alki? :-)

It brings back some great memories.

Reportedly, historically, this is the view (mountain in the clouds) that Captain Vancouver and his crew saw when they first visited Puget Sound (named after his lieutenant).

It is a long trudge to its top but quite worth it!

If you look closely, you will see the a slight band of orange at around 5,000 feet.

This is not a photo artifact. It is smog. Just another great reason to hike the high country and get above it!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:09 PM   #7

Actually, shot from Magnolia, across the bay from Alki. It wasn't the clearest day, especially, as you noted, in terms of smog. clear cold weather in Seattle tends to lead to thermal inversions which trap the smog down low, and with no wind to clear it out, it just sorta sits there... i'll probably go back to Magnolia this spring or summer to try another shot under clearer (and WARMER) conditions.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:23 PM   #8

Here in the Northeast Mt Washington is the highest at 6,288 feet. Nothing like the over 14,000 footers you have out West. Nice shot. :-)
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:42 PM   #9

Beautiful shot. Hard for me to imagine having someithing like that off in the backgroiund. We have nothing like that here.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:25 PM   #10

Squirl, nice pic! I've always loved pictures of mountains, the bigger the better. And Mt. Rainier is definitely a big one.

Speaking of volcanos though, did you pop on down to Mt. St Helens to take some pics when she was letting off those huge steam clouds?

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera at the time, but with the 12x zoom I bet one could've gotten a pretty decent picture.
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote