Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:17 AM   #1

I took this one when it was almost dark. Taken on a tripod, with iso at 400. Had to have it cranked to have any hope of getting the shot. He seemed to be eyeing me. I used levels, some sharpening, and then NR. Sorry for all the processing, but it was necessary for this one. Cheers....thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:26 AM   #2

Nice shot. Processing isn't a bad thing, no need to apologize! it's a tool, something we can use to make a good shot better, and make a photo that might have been marginal - perhaps because of poor light or color saturation - into a good one.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:38 AM   #3

I agree with you on this Squirl. I don't think there's a picture that we see in any mag or paper that hasn't had work done on it-or at least, very few. Part of the photography business. It's the composition that counts I think. That said,I usually don't work on most pics as hard as I did with this one. But the bird intrigued me, so I spent some time with it. Thanks for the comments. thekman.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:37 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot. Processing isn't a bad thing, no need to apologize! it's a tool, something we can use to make a good shot better, and make a photo that might have been marginal - perhaps because of poor light or color saturation - into a good one.
squirl..... thx for saying the above..Why people think adjusting a photo to what ever degree is CHEATING well its not..... ""thekman..very nice shot!!!!"" and isn't it nice to have a way to save a nice photo???? We all know most 90% of pro's have snapped up 2,000 to 5,000 dollar digital camera's..No 1...the first thing that clicked in there little minds is the flexibility for photo correction...like thekman here..he has a good "Sharp in focus well framed photo" thats the main huddle to get over..and what you do from there is no more than what any pro would do to make it sell on the market...So don't kick your self in the rump..I agree with BOB in the post he started about getting a good shot straight from the cam...yes indeed you can get this most of the time and its a good idea to know your cameras setting and how to get most from the camera..But I refuse to trash a good photo that only needs a little work to become a great photo.........

thekman....hope you dont mind me doing this I did it because its a great photo !!!!!

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:41 PM   #5

Given conditions and your processing needed this is an excellent pic.

If possible, I would like to see the "before pic" too! :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:51 PM   #6

Nice shot. Ditto to what digcamfan typed. :-)
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:18 PM   #7

Great shot of a cool boid. The only purist who doesn't ever process his shots around here is Willow :blah:. Ever see those alien shots of his?!!!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:23 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Glad to see you all agree it's ok to process. Like I said, I think the composition is the most important aspect, and tweaking should be allowed. Sorry, but I didn't bother keeping the original. Sometimes I do, but most of the time, not. Cheers.....thekman.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:42 PM   #9

You may want to get into the practice of putting the original in one place in your hard drive or an external hard drive or even archive on a CD. Work on a copy instead. If you ever happed to get to the point of no return working on it you can always get another copy of the original and try again.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:59 PM   #10

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
squirl..... thx for saying the above..Why people think adjusting a photo to what ever degree is CHEATING well its not..... ""thekman..very nice shot!!!!"" and isn't it nice to have a way to save a nice photo???? We all know most 90% of pro's have snapped up 2,000 to 5,000 dollar digital camera's..No 1...the first thing that clicked in there little minds is the flexibility for photo correction...like thekman here..he has a good "Sharp in focus well framed photo" thats the main huddle to get over..and what you do from there is no more than what any pro would do to make it sell on the market...So don't kick your self in the rump..I agree with BOB in the post he started about getting a good shot straight from the cam...yes indeed you can get this most of the time and its a good idea to know your cameras setting and how to get most from the camera..But I refuse to trash a good photo that only needs a little work to become a great photo.........

thekman....hope you dont mind me doing this I did it because its a great photo !!!!!

Not at all. Flattered more than anything. Mind you, this was taken in almost total darkness. I didn't think it possible to get this much out of it, although I didn't try for this much brightening either. Thanks for the positive input. Cheers........thekman.