Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Hello everyone, its a general question. I have both a UV filter (its more of a lens protector) and a linear polarizer that I use in conjunction with a Raynox 52mm step down adaptor. I remember reading a while back that one should not use the polarizer over a UV filter...I assume that means that I shouldn't combine the 2 filters. IS that really true? I was hoping to leave the UV filter on as something permanent considering it doesn't really have much of an effect and doesn't really cut down on incoming light and use the polarizer in addition whenever needed. Please let me know if thats ok to do.

Also about lens cleaning, maybe i am just being anal. I use a lens cleaning solution, lens paper and a soft microfiber cloth in addition to a camel hair brush. yet everytime i clean my lens (which is about 2 times since i bought it thus far) it seems that i can't get it totally clean. How clean do they have to be? I mean there are no smudges or fingerprints on the lens but when you use your breadth on the lens you see the streaks of your earlier cleanings and regardless of how hard one tries there seems to always be some microscopic particles that settle onto the lens. I hope thats normal and that it won't affect photo quality.

Thanks for answering.
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:51 AM   #2

Hi

My name is Dyu and im from mumbai. Which part of india are you from??? I just picked up the FZ 20 from JJ mehta bout a month back...

I would like to know more about the raynox step down that you mentioned you use... The 72 mm polarisers are really expensive.

Do let me know your details so that i can perhaps contact you and find out more about the filters and other details on the FZ 20. I dont think many people have the camera in India... so it would help if we could perhaps be in touch. You could also email me at [email protected]. I also have a problem with a few marks on my lens that are bothering me.. the pics though look just fine. here are a few links.

Monumental Goa - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395676.html
Wonders of the light - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395651.html

Do let me know what u think and looking forward to hear from you

Besties

Dyu
dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:11 AM   #3

Hey there...I am actually in Los Angeles, USA not india. Here is the link for the adaptor, UV filter, Linear Polarizer, and caps.

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ay-plpp20.html

I will email you a few of my pictures so you can take a look at them and write to me with any questions. I have had this camera for about a month, but this is my first digital camera and before this all I ever used was point and shoots...so don't expect much from me...lol. I have learnt a lot since owning the camera, its such an amazing machine that not taking advantage of its prowess seems to be a crime against spectacular engineering.

seth
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:29 AM   #4

I would be very careful about using micro-fiber cloths and brushes on lenses. They can hold dirt which in turn can get rubbed around your lens, thus, scratching it. Unless you can actually see through the lens, you may never notice that it's happening.

Use a lens tissue, put the cleaning solution on the tissue and gently wipe the lens. DON'T RUB! The purpose is to pick up stray dust on the lens. If you rub, you could grind the dust into the coatings (in general). Throw the tissue away. With a fresh one, Fog the lens with your breath (we all have plenty of hot air I'm sure) like you would a pair of sunglasses or something.. While it's still fogged, wipe it off with the clean tissue. Fog it again. You shouldn't see any traces of where you originally cleaned the lens with the solution. If you do, continue until all traces are removed. Fog the lens once more and let it disappate. This will help de-static the lens surface. Place your protector over the lens and let it take the abuse.

As to your other question, I'll leave that for someone with more filter experience on these cameras.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:31 AM   #5

Hi Seth

Thanks for the reply...and ur email with the pics... But please do not send attachements of pics.. upload them on a website that will allow u to post pics... for eg

People - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395699.html
Goa - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395684.html
Monumental Goa - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395676.html
Wonders of the light - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395651.html

Tell me what u feel about my pics.. we both are quite similar in our level of expertise

Regards

Dyu
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:51 AM   #6

There are artifacts in your otherwise beautiful pictures. Possibly due to resizing by what you use or your webhost.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:58 AM   #7

Hi

Please let me know what you mean by artifacts???? Please clarify

Besties

Dyu
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:29 PM   #8

jsiladi...thanks for you tips. I will stick with the filter paper for the lens from now on.

Hey Dyu_d...I get your meaning now. Yeah I think we are at about similar skill levels, I just haven't taken enough photos to post it someplace. But thanks for the advice, I will one of these days.

seth
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:43 PM   #9

Hi Dyu,

I am also residing in India. Bharuch to be exact. I got my FZ20 about one month back. I have bought one tripod and filter(72 mm) from jjmehta and am thinking about ordering the cleaning kit also. i suppose you got your cleaning kit from them. What does the kit contain and how is it quality wise?

Till now I have been extremely careful about using my camera with naked lens. Only a few times I have used it without a filter and that too only for macro, because the adapter with the camera is not very good in that aspect, as it lends a shadow to the picture in case of macros under flash. I am hoping to get a Phayee adapter which has been highly recommended on this forum. It was said that Rong Jin (phayee supplier) is very prompt in answering and sending but I am yet to receive reply to my querry. probably he is interested in only USA clients.

I have also registered at jjmehta.com but it seems there are not many FZ20 users in India.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:17 AM   #10

Hey Wise

Nice to finally meet someone from India who has a FZ 20.... I am also looking for the phayee adapter... written to jj mehta... but he can not procure it... Do give me the email ID of the gentleman at Phayee so that i can email him... I have the same problem of shadow with the adapter.. But i just love the cam with the adapter on it... and the filter... it gives you the feel of shooting pro... and the heads that turn around.. especially if you are in india.

Besties

Dyu