Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:05 AM   #11

I think that there should be a camera mode, where you can say 'I want to take the picture at the Optical Zoom setting, but with digital zoom turned on to double check the focusing on the eyes of the fly'. This would be just fine.

So if we have 12 times optical zoom plus 3 times digital zoom to check for detail, the camera will then take the final pic at 12 times optical zoom.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:07 AM   #12

I agree with nzmacro. Digital zoom brings you another step closer to the object. Just the other day, I think it was Petersky who posted a gif pic about zooming...... if he did not use the digital zoom, I don't think we could see the house/cottage in that pic so well. It all depends what you want actually, digital zoom is there as an extra feature for your usage.

And if you guys have notice, once you lock the foucs at 12X, if the digital zoom steps in, you don't have to re-focus again. For me again I would conclude, as long as I am satisfied with the pic and it turns out nice, whether it is digital zoom or not, or edited with software or not, it is ok for me.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:09 AM   #13

I don't agree actually. I'd rather initially have 12 times optical zoom plus 3 times digital zoom. Then you'd be able to get more detail on the focusing (maybe), and then just have the camera take the final pic at 12 times optical. Maybe cameras haven't got this feature yet...which is nothing but a software option.

And the other thing is..if you can't see something so well, it just means that you haven't got enough optical zoom. So just need more optical zoom (optional).
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:15 AM   #14

that's everyone for itself I'd like to get the best out of my camera.

My conclusion out of this healthy discussion
For photography of animals that move fast and/or macro photography, the realtime digital zoom is a pro. It speeds up the focus/checkup.

For stills and slow objects. I'd go with optical zoom. I often use the manual function of the camera, the mf assist is kind of a digital zoom function to check the focus.

spiderman said:
" if he did not use the digital zoom, I don't think we could see the house/cottage in that pic so well. "

We could have seen it even better when interpolating it afterwards
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:16 AM   #15

emsox wrote:
Quote:
Most computer software has better digital zoom algorithms.
With all due respect, that's an assumption. I don't know what the method used in camera is. A solid base shot will hold up quite well up to 100% interpolated in my experience. Almost indestinguishable from "real" pixels in prints, regardless of method. Though personally, I would never increase pixels by 300% for a print and expect acceptable results using interpolation software. However, this is what occurs in-camera at max digital.

Again, as Danny points out, up to the user. He does stunning macro work and incorporates digital zoom all the time. Check out his threads if you're not sold.

The question is, am I glad I have the option to use DZ in the camera? Answer. Yes!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:28 AM   #16

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
emsox wrote:
Quote:
Most computer software has better digital zoom algorithms.
With all due respect, that's an assumption.
Yes, I was going to ask on what basis and where did that come from. ??? I have seen where that is actually the other way around. Including tests of my own. That is why I doubt all this.

Ok if we take my first vignetted shot up there, now lets crop a rectangle out of it. So how much image area are we losing by doing that....over half the image and information is gone.

So now optical zoom is a complete waste of time if we do that exercise. The detail the digital zoom would give in that case, would far out-way any optical benefits. Its how you look at folks.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:32 AM   #17

"Yes, I was going to ask on what basis and where did that come from."

ehr.. these two photo's at the top of this thread ? Ever used photozoom pro? It works great
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:34 AM   #18

No no .. if you have lots of megapixels under your belt...then you can just use the digital zoom to 'check up' on the focusing details. Then have a new digital camera with a option that allows you to see the digital zoomed image, but take the final photo at the optical zoom level. The pic will be fine...since you have the megapixels under your belt. Just need to do resize reduction, crop, or whatever afterwards.

However, if you have a picture that was taken with digital zoom, and if you think that it is good enough quality for presentation...then that's fine too. Just as long as the quality looks fine, then it's ok.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:50 AM   #19

Heck, good luck with a crop like this then for vignetting. Over half the image and information would be lost. Less if I use digital zoom......correct ???? Yes or no will do just fine :-)

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:52 AM   #20

not correct. What the camera does.. is take the picture you've just shown. and Zoom in on that picture... So does a resize program.. same idea, better interpolation