Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:28 PM   #31

I would like to see a discussion of the Sony Smart Zoom feature as seen on the W-1. For myself I think it is a unique tool especially in burst mode. It also emulates the Olympus C-2100UZ and E100 but with out the image stabilization feature.

i
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:37 PM   #32

Nicktrop has a good point there. My previous camera (finepix s5000) had a RAW function.. so I never used digital zoom.

If you don't have software like photoshop / photozoom pro / noiseware, Digital zoom is a really good alternative, and it's a heck of a lot faster too

In theory.. digital zoom could be better. In practice.. my enhanced pictures turn out better than digital zoom (my opinion), but it takes some effort. It's all about priorities...

Thanks for all your comments guys
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:40 PM   #33

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the post... good topic, interesting albeit somewhat techno-geek-ish debate.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:53 PM   #34

Digital zoom is valid if you need the extra zoom to achive a tight shot with the best composition at the time.
This I think is better then post compsing and cropping.
I don't use dig. zoom much at all but now I see the value in it.
Its best to get the scene right in the viewfinder at the time. OK dig zoom blows up the pixals but if the shot is tight and right in composition then the image should be fine, even with an FZ1.

my 2cents
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:11 PM   #35

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
And thanks for starting the topic. Heh, it's nice to see civilized discussions on the web (which this forum has far more of than most).
petersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:09 PM   #36

- Digital Photography - The Textbook - Dennis P. Curtin
http://photocourse.com/

7.5 Long Lenses

Digital Zoom

Zoom lenses come in two varieties; optical and digital zooms. An optical zoom lens actually changes the
amount of the scene falling on the image sensor. Every pixel in the image contains unique data so the final photo is sharp and clear. A digital zoom lens uses sleight of hand by taking a part of the normal image falling on the sensor and then enlarging it to fill the sensor. It does this by adding new pixels to the image using interpolation. The interpolated image doesn't have as many unique pixels as one taken with an optical zoom so is inferior.

[align=left]In fact, you don't even need this zoom feature because you can get exactly the same effect just by cropping a normal image in a photo-editing program and then enlarging it. .....

.................................................. .................

Hope this helpful
Basac,
[/align]
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:15 PM   #37

This is the kind of debate that could go on forever. Seems more subjective than objective. But ................:!:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:46 PM   #38

nooner wrote:
Quote:
This is the kind of debate that could go on forever. Seems more subjective than objective. But ................:!:
Budy Holly
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:49 PM   #39

Basac wrote:
Quote:

- Digital Photography - The Textbook - Dennis P. Curtin
http://photocourse.com/

7.5 Long Lenses

Digital Zoom

Zoom lenses come in two varieties; optical and digital zooms. An optical zoom lens actually changes the
amount of the scene falling on the image sensor. Every pixel in the image contains unique data so the final photo is sharp and clear. A digital zoom lens uses sleight of hand by taking a part of the normal image falling on the sensor and then enlarging it to fill the sensor. It does this by adding new pixels to the image using interpolation. The interpolated image doesn't have as many unique pixels as one taken with an optical zoom so is inferior.

[align=left] In fact, you don't even need this zoom feature because you can get exactly the same effect just by cropping a normal image in a photo-editing program and then enlarging it. .....

.................................................. .................

Hope this helpful
Basac,
[/align]
If digital zoom is needed at shoot time use it.... that way the PHOTO intention // composition is final.
Its there to be used.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:13 PM   #40

Being a software developer, I am pretty confident in saying that the quality of digital zoom vs. PC cropping would be pretty much the same. It's only embedded software built into the camera, same as the cropping funtionality built into PS.

I will say that it is harder to get a sharper image with digital zoom, and that may be what we are talking about here.

Getting a nice sharp image at 12x and cropping it may produce better results than getting a not so sharp image at 48x.

Maybe it's not the software, but simply getting as sharp an image with the digital zoom as you can without.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote